Sad - Lost our Best Friend

Webzcas

Winter is Coming!
Staff member
Wednesday last week we sadly said goodbye to our constant companion Jess aka The Big, who sadly fell asleep for the last time. We were all with her, when she went, ensuring she was not alone and knowing that she was very much loved.

We are all heartbroken and devastated. We had her before we bought the house we now live in, she was there with us before we had the kids. She was a MAJOR part of our lives.

She used to come with me every day into work when I had my office in town and lately, would be here at my office at home keeping me company.

Sadly since the previous weekend she had been very poorly, hence the trip to the vets on Wednesday morning. I got the dreaded call a couple of hours later, that an ultrasound had picked up a massive tumour on her liver. There was in short, nothing that could be done to save her.

So a couple of weeks before her 12th birthday, we all said our goodbyes. It was very peaceful and very quick, that is the only blessing and the fact she no longer is in pain.

I've had dogs before, but whether it is because it is still raw and the nature of my work, means I work alone from home, it seems a lot harder this time.

I miss her to bits and feel as if part of me has died. I have put this short video below together. I don't even know why I am writing this post, in a way I guess it is helping me.

The kids are resilient. I fear it is myself and my wife who will be hurting more, for a greater length of time. :(

I am so sorry to hear that. I have a dog who is my whole world and I know I am going to be in bits when he goes. So I can empathize on how you feel. She was a cutie and watching that video makes me cry.

ok I am not crying... my eyes are just wet ! RIP Jess . Happy you are no longer in pain but sad for your humans .

You have your memories - they are forever yours . She was just beautiful.

It's the worst. Lost 3 in 4 years (cats) and there are people who 'get it' and those that see animals as mess- creating accessories

Personally, when you spend a quarter of your life with them they're life companions, through all the good and bad. So of course it's devastating and like losing a member of the family

It's gonna smart for a while, no doubt. And it might resonate with adults more because they have a greater sense of time and I guess all the heartbreaking arrangements near the end and so forth

Very sorry for your loss Webzcas :(

Sorry to hear mate..We have a cat and a dog too and they are a part of our family...
Had cats before that have passed and it hurts when a pet passes away as they are so intertwined in our lives...

May she rest in peace in dog heaven..

Yes, my condolences too. Obviously I knew about this already but the video reaffirms the sense of loss. Horrible having to say goodbye. Really sorry you're having to go through it. It's the Christmas Day bit that gets me. :(

Oh, this is so sad to hear. The loss of such a wonderful, sweet dog and companion is devastating. Thanks for sharing the video and take care.

RIP Jess.

What a lovely tribute to Jess :)

When it's time for me to go
And we have said farewell
Please don't mourn for me too long
But try to sing as well.

Sing about the happy times
And let the sad times go
Fill your heart with joyful thoughts
For life's too short you know.

Speak of me with fondness and
Recall our special days,
Hold dear those happy memories
That time cannot erase.

Each wouldn't wish we'd never met
Tho' now we've had to part,
So walk again the paths we trod
But not with heavy heart.

Don't close the door upon my life
Just because I've gone,
In your heart and in mine too
Our friendship will live on.

Should you prepare a grave for me
To lay my soul to rest,
A simple headstone with my name
Is what I'd like the best.

Or if my ashes you'd prefer
To scatter far and wide,
You'll watch the breeze bear me away
Yet feel me by your side.

Be happy that our lives we shared
On sadness do not dwell,
Maybe shed a tear or two
But will you sing as well?

Sorry to hear Webzcas. Looks like a Great Dog.

Animals are so fuckn cool.

dreading day I have to do it with my dog. Honestly, I've had my father die and other relatives but when it comes to my dog it just seriously messes me up.

My current dog is like a human on 4 legs and I can't even imagine a life without him, so I can only imagine what you are going through.

You won't move on but can be happy you gave a dog a good life when so many out their treat them terrible. Always judge a human by how they treat animals.

Wednesday last week we sadly said goodbye to our constant companion Jess aka The Big, who sadly fell asleep for the last time. We were all with her, when she went, ensuring she was not alone and knowing that she was very much loved.

We are all heartbroken and devastated. We had her before we bought the house we now live in, she was there with us before we had the kids. She was a MAJOR part of our lives.

She used to come with me every day into work when I had my office in town and lately, would be here at my office at home keeping me company.

Sadly since the previous weekend she had been very poorly, hence the trip to the vets on Wednesday morning. I got the dreaded call a couple of hours later, that an ultrasound had picked up a massive tumour on her liver. There was in short, nothing that could be done to save her.

So a couple of weeks before her 12th birthday, we all said our goodbyes. It was very peaceful and very quick, that is the only blessing and the fact she no longer is in pain.

I've had dogs before, but whether it is because it is still raw and the nature of my work, means I work alone from home, it seems a lot harder this time.

I miss her to bits and feel as if part of me has died. I have put this short video below together. I don't even know why I am writing this post, in a way I guess it is helping me.

The kids are resilient. I fear it is myself and my wife who will be hurting more, for a greater length of time. :(

I do feel for you especially since I was nearly in the same situation as you. In February, it seems destined we were about to lose 'Mui-mui' ie little girl in Chinese. She had no appetite at all despite loving to eat very much. She was all bones all of a sudden compared to being a chubby little dog just a week earlier. We brought her to the vet who told us she requires an operation without which she will possibly die. OK the fees involved were a few grand USD but luckily we are now in a position where we could part with it. She had the operation and in the interim the vet told us there found a black spot within her which was believed to be cancerous and told us to prepare for the worst. I payed for a few nights and miraculously the black spot vanished and she returned after a week. She has since been eating like crazy and is even heavier than before.

I hope you can overcome your trauma, Jess is probably in heaven now and licking her paws waiting for her next meal.

Sorry for your loss. The Big is rather bitty, I am guessing The Big is both her attitude and her heart. Thank you for sharing your video. She had the best of doggy lives with your family.

Having previously owned Big Dogs ie Labs, it was based on the fact she was small LOL. It kind of stuck when we got her as a puppy. She learnt that was her name before Jess :D

I know how you are feeling right now as I just had my best friend put to sleep on Sunday, it's still raw. He had a cancerous tumour on the base of his tail, completed his first round of chemo but since Friday on his walk, he had not been himself. Took him to the vet on Sunday and he had no feeling in his back feet and they think he had a stroke, he stopped eating and drinking too so it was his time but it doesn't make it any easier.

I am trying to remember all the good times, I know he is free from pain now, try to remember you did the ultimate act for him, he is free from pain now running free once again - take care x

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back