Question re: Playstation3/4 consoles and internet

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I still have an old Playstation 2 that works just fine, but I'd like to upgrade and buy some of the new games.... :p

I was considering a Playstation 3 or 4 as an xmas gift for myself and hook it up to the big ol' plasma HDTV in my den. However... do these consoles and games require internet access these days??

The room where it would be used (due to a brick wall) has a really crappy wireless signal from my modem at the opposite end of the house. And really... I don't want to play games with someone.... I just want to play the damn games.

I still have an old Playstation 2 that works just fine, but I'd like to upgrade and buy some of the new games.... :p

I was considering a Playstation 3 or 4 as an xmas gift for myself and hook it up to the big ol' plasma HDTV in my den. However... do these consoles and games require internet access these days??

The room where it would be used (due to a brick wall) has a really crappy wireless signal from my modem at the opposite end of the house. And really... I don't want to play games with someone.... I just want to play the damn games.

It really depends on the games, most of the DLC's and updates are downloaded through the internet via the PSN network.

Get a PS3 it's more economical. Sony dosent charge for online play on PS3 but plan to on the PS4. PS3 games are obviously cheaper. Sony has told customers they plan on continuing to make games for the PS3 for a few more years and by that time the PS4 would have come down in price anyway.

You dont need the net but defenitely comes in handy with a PS Plus subscription and Quick Flix.

I bought my PS Vita with winnings from 32 Red :) Wish I had have known it was gonna be an epic fail :(

I have an Oculus Rift which is a new generation virtual reality headset, really takes things next level. In horror games you really are inside an old abandoned mine/house/whatever. It's seriously good stuff, google it Mousey.

Please for the love of god whatever you do be it 3 or 4.....go online. A chance to play video games with Mousey from CM, lol I'm so giddy. Seriously from here on out I'm going to bug you. So you might as well start thinking of what type of games you want to play.

I love "team" based games and not so much of things that will pit us against each other, ie the 1v1 style fighting games. I like them but right now I'm more into the whole completing things together / working together etc.

Expect future pms until you get online and send me your gamer tag.

My hubby and I are both big gamers too. He loves his Battlefield 3 (itching for the BF4 Beta to be released in a few hours lol), and I really enjoy going on Playstation Home (and M.A.G. hehehe). You really should try to have a decent internet connection. It's really worth it. And like mattsgame said, you will need an internet connection to download system updates ect. Have fun hun!!!! :D

Yeah as a few have stated it depends on the game, games like CoD/BF have campaign/story modes but the fun for me lies in the multiplayer mode where a decent internet connection is required - nothing is more irritating than shooting someone 5 times in the face yet they don't die and then to add insult to injury they kill you with their last bullet.

Bring back the commodore 64 - a lot less raging!

Please for the love of god whatever you do be it 3 or 4.....go online. A chance to play video games with Mousey from CM, lol I'm so giddy. Seriously from here on out I'm going to bug you. So you might as well start thinking of what type of games you want to play.

I love "team" based games and not so much of things that will pit us against each other, ie the 1v1 style fighting games. I like them but right now I'm more into the whole completing things together / working together etc.

PM's I can handle, but no p.m.s. at my age please, I might implode! LOL

Yeah as a few have stated it depends on the game, games like CoD/BF have campaign/story modes but the fun for me lies in the multiplayer mode where a decent internet connection is required - nothing is more irritating than shooting someone 5 times in the face yet they don't die and then to add insult to injury they kill you with their last bullet.

Bring back the commodore 64 - a lot less raging!

Oh good lordy... I can do without that stress. LOL

Well, that's the thing with my internet connection. It's great back here in the computer room. But I want to hook up the PS3 or 4 to my big TV in the den at the other end of the house that has brick on two sides. And really, people. I am somewhat un-social... especially when it comes to gaming. LOL And if I wanted to play online, I'd do it back here on the computer. I never played 2 games I bought and downloaded from Amazon because they required Steam or some such shit. I just want to play...

Anyway... thanks to all for the suggestions. Now... I gotta go look and see what sort of new Lara Croft/Tombraider games might be out there. (I am waaay behind on what's what in games these days.)

Along those lines you might like Far Cry 3 or the recent Uncharted. I'm anal so I like starting from the very first one but if you're not then I say get the most recent for Uncharted which I believe might be 3? and Far Cry 3.

and FINE be unsocial, I didn't want to play with you anyway.
smiley-sad025.gif

smiley-sad012.gif

smiley-angry011.gif

Completely agree with this, I can hardly get myself to load up a single player game these days. You just have to watch for a few fools who like to ruin other peoples games with hacks etc. But that's why we run your own servers (for pc mostly) to kick those people out and there are plenty of others that do the same. You get to know people pretty quickly playing online and you can soon build a base of friends who will play at your pace and not do anything untoward.

It's not that bad these days as most gamers are older mature folk who have been playing for many many years, the average gamer age is something like 26 now.

BTW I seen a few of you haven't joined up to my group Link Outdated / Removed :thumbsup:

I love Battlefield on PS3.I especially like Black ops 2.I never learned to play but i watch my son play for hours.Gotta love mustang and Sally,quick revive and those darn zombies:cool:

Completely agree with this, I can hardly get myself to load up a single player game these days. You just have to watch for a few fools who like to ruin other peoples games with hacks etc. But that's why we run your own servers (for pc mostly) to kick those people out and there are plenty of others that do the same. You get to know people pretty quickly playing online and you can soon build a base of friends who will play at your pace and not do anything untoward.

It's not that bad these days as most gamers are older mature folk who have been playing for many many years, the average gamer age is something like 26 now.

BTW I seen a few of you haven't joined up to my group Link Outdated / Removed :thumbsup:

Not seeing the join button. Is it invite only?

edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot...found it.

Along those lines you might like Far Cry 3 or the recent Uncharted. I'm anal so I like starting from the very first one but if you're not then I say get the most recent for Uncharted which I believe might be 3? and Far Cry

Agreed on this. Uncharted is one of my favorite PS3 game series on IGN they all preety much get rated above 9 stars. Although I'm upto a puzzle on the last game that I cant work out so I've ditched it until I can be bothered which is a shame because it's supposed to be the best game out of the series.

Also Resident Evil, Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy, oh and Jak and Daxter HD Trilogy. These are the best anyone with a PS seriously needs to check them out.

We have a PS3 and when my hubby used to play games, he mostly kept to himself so internet was not a major factor. Since our LO was born, he has no time to play games anymore but we still use the console. It has many great features and can be used for so many other things than just games. Check if you can get a booster for the internet to make your life easier in case you decide to use its other functions besides games.

Regards,
Rebecca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back