No more gambling. My computer died.

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
It finally happened what I have been afraid of for so long.
My computer broke down today.

I have been playing mostly at Nordicbet the last few days, and that's what I did when it suddenly froze. I couldn't do anything...
Normally I can just shut the computer down by holding the button down and then start it up again, but this time it was a no go:(

It starts like normal but it can't open windows, and whatever I have tried the only thing showing on the screen is first the arrow, and then it gets blue. Nothing more happens.
I can't repair, or set the time back or anything. I can't get anything open whatever choice I make.

I have searched the web for an answer on what part of the computer that is broken, but when I finally found one with a similar problem, noone had answered him.

I know that there are people here that is really good at computers, so please, if you know whats wrong then tell me.
I can't afford a new computer so if I can't fix it cheap it's the end with all gambling for me at least this year:eek2:

What operating system are you running?

Can you boot in safe mode?

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

If you've been shutting your computer down by holding down the power button with any sort of regularity, then it's not been well for quite a while.

i am not good at english...
But may be try to reinstall windows?) But its to easy
Another thing that can happened, is your video card, may be something wrong with it.
Anyway, computers cheap now, and you can buy PC for gambling not for much money.

I can't boot in safe mode. I don't get that far in.
I got to the choices at first and could chose between starting normal or repair. The third time when it didn't start up I chosed repair.
Normally it will start up trying to repair, and if that's not working you get some other choices to make.
Among them to reset to an earlier date or reinstall windows or so...but I never got that far.

When chosen the repair function, nothing happened. The arrow come up and the screen turned blue.

I have had different problems with this computer. The modules where you put the RAM in is broken. I can only use one so I have had too little memory for the computer to work on the whole time. The RAM is not the issue now, at least I don't think so. It's not behaving as it usually do then:rolleyes:

From the beginning, when I bouth it second-hand, it was a new graphiccard on it, but that broke down so I'm using the one that was built in from the beginning.

What I need to find out is what part of the computer it's broken.
I'm using everyones favorit, Vista:)

computore

press f10 continuosly this will allow u to restore youre computore to a previouse date and time

switch off computor
start again an hold f10 until u see blue screen

press f10 continuosly this will allow u to restore youre computore to a previouse date and time

switch off computor
start again an hold f10 until u see blue screen

Thanks for the tip, but isn't that the same button as F8 is on mine, where I get in to a page where it is different options that I can chose from?
If it is then I have tried that already, and I can't get there...
...or is this a new button that I havn't heard of?
I don't know what all F-buttons are for:rolleyes:

...and of course I have tried to reinstalled windows.
It reads the files on the cd, then up comes the arrow, and the blue screen:rolleyes:
It have worked before so it's nothing wrong with the cd.

The screen that comes up tells me it's not the videocard.

No, it's not cheap to buy a gamblingcomputer. If I start saving what I usually gamble for every month I will have a new computer this time next year.
I won so much last month, I wish I had known...

Never mind.
Maybe this was a way of telling me it's time to stop gambling and do other things for a while. This can be great:rolleyes:

When you get TBSOD does it come up with an error message hun?, or is it just a completely blue screen?.

It`s not your video card, windows would load the basic video card attached to your board.

Boot options can be one of a few of your f buttons normally f6-f8-f11, when you start your P.C. and CMOS-BIOS starts it posts some white writing, you have to be quick, look for the bit which starts 1st it will have set-up (insert key configured) and boot options (insert key configured), boot options is what you need, if you get this, select - start windows at last known good configuration that worked (or similar wording), if this fails then try safe mode.

I personally think it`s your hard drive hun, this would mean a trip into BIOS and re-configure your boot up option to CD-ROM (with OS inserted) and disable other boot up devices, this would be a good pointer.

It sounds like it could very well be your ram.
Do you have another stick you could try ?....or even just take your ram out and put it back in, making sure it connecting correctly.

If RAM is broke/unplugged etc BIOS will stop when it does the RAM test on boot up.

Unless it doesn't do ram test. I always turn that off in bios myself, as it's just yet another delay in booting ;)
...Or I used to, on older machines...(Sounds like we're not talking about a completely new machine here ;) )

Unless it doesn't do ram test. I always turn that off in bios myself, as it's just yet another delay in booting ;)
...Or I used to, on older machines...(Sounds like we're not talking about a completely new machine here ;) )

It`s a fairly old set up iirc ;).

The 1st thing I always do when my system fails to boot is unplug all the hardware including the CPU (heat cement is a must here) and plug `em back in again, then take it from there, if I were Sara I would try this and also try plugging her HD into a different power cable and try an a new data cable also, when HD`s go they normally show signs and this is down to sectors becoming corrupted or damaged, a constant clicking noise can be heard sometimes.

Most Blue screens of death are hardware based and are a result of the system shutting down before doing it more damage, these however will almost certainly come with an error code, this one though appears to be when a certain part of the hardware is needed it just isn`t working, this could also be RAM, but Sara has got to the point of copying files but when it comes to writing them it crashes, i`m positive that when the system is copying files etcetera it is using RAM.

@Sara when you boot up your PC hun can you hear the hard drive booting it should be a sound you are well aware of when starting your System, is this sound no longer there?, it normally boots up with a beep or two then a grinding sort of noise.

Thank you Sevenths and LaHutti! I knew it would come in people who knew just a little more.:)

Yes, it's an older computer from 2007, but it is still the best and strongest I have had, and the only one I can use for gambling.
LaHutti - I have done your suggestions with the RAM, and I know how it have looked the other times when the RAM was broken and I switched it, so no problems with the RAM this time.

Seventh - I wonder why I always have so hard to understand your posts, but I'm trying:p
When I start up, the first page that comes up shows three different options F8, F4(I think it is) and F11
That page always load! Whatever option I chose from there it start loding files to window and the the blue screen shows up, so windows never start. It can't for some reason.
That also means that I can't go any further from there. I can't chose to repair or reinstall or anything.
So no errormessage. It's not a BSOD. It's just blue:rolleyes:

The BIOS I have never learned how to change setting in, and well, I can't go there either anymore.
So the hard drive is probably the crashed part then?

Thank you Sevenths and LaHutti! I knew it would come in people who knew just a little more.:)

Yes, it's an older computer from 2007, but it is still the best and strongest I have had, and the only one I can use for gambling.
LaHutti - I have done your suggestions with the RAM, and I know how it have looked the other times when the RAM was broken and I switched it, so no problems with the RAM this time.

Seventh - I wonder why I always have so hard to understand your posts, but I'm trying:p
When I start up, the first page that comes up shows three different options F8, F4(I think it is) and F11
That page always load! Whatever option I chose from there it start loding files to window and the the blue screen shows up, so windows never start. It can't for some reason.
That also means that I can't go any further from there. I can't chose to repair or reinstall or anything.
So no errormessage. It's not a BSOD. It's just blue:rolleyes:

The BIOS I have never learned how to change setting in, and well, I can't go there either anymore.
So the hard drive is probably the crashed part then?

Yes or unfortunately your MB, look for a spare power connection hun preferably one that isn`t already on a chain, also do you have a spare data cable, the other connection on your hard drive that isn`t a 4 pin connector, try this 1st.

Was the computer making any funny noises before it died? Like scratchy grindy or whirring sounds? Anyhow it sounds like the hard drive is toasted - you know, you can buy a new hard drive for less than $100, there's not really a need to get a whole new computer. I got a TB drive for like $80 (need one that big just for microgaming :rolleyes:)

You should be able to go to the Bios seetings, whether your hd works or not.
It reads the bios before anything else, (before it tries to access your hd, so it wouldn't know at that point if your hd is working or not.
To open bios press either F2 or DEL (Can differ depending of bios) as soon as you turn the computer on.
I have a strong feeling, that your windows installation is the problem....to reinstall you need to go into bios, and change first boot device to your cd-rom drive, then pop your windows cd in, and restart.
If it starts installation, and doesn't finish, you should be getting an error, if it can't access the hd, or it'll simply tell you it can't find one.....if this happens you need to get yourself a new hd, and that would be a relatively cheap thing to buy.

The thing is, as 777 says, it could be a number of things, but here's something to get you started, at least ;)

Yes or unfortunately your MB, look for a spare power connection hun preferably one that isn`t already on a chain, also do you have a spare data cable, the other connection on your hard drive that isn`t a 4 pin connector, try this 1st.

MB??
I don't have any extra cables for computers at all. I even use the same cables for both of my computers (the one I'm using now is much older):p

Time for work. Start 6am:)

You`re windows XP iirc hun, if the last bit fails try this, keep clicking f11 when you start your PC, we are looking for set up here if f11 fails try f4, when you get the set up page enter and look for your boot up devices part, you need to change it to boot CD-ROM 1st, when it loads the disc you will be given a few choices, load the recovery console, click R and enter the administrator password if you have one if not just hit enter.

Just type this for now CHKDSK and hit return.

Ah, you have vista, system recovery options, just load the command prompt window and type the same command - CHKDSK.

haha...a lot of advice now....if everything else fails, bring it over, I'll have you up and running. I believe they fly from Sweden to Canada at least once a day :lolup:

It really is easier, if you can see what it's doing.

Tirilej, September and back to school is an excellent time to buy a computer. You can often pick up quite a good desktop used as students acquire laptops, or a laptop as they upgrade for university.

I don't know if there is a chapter near you, but check out
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I've given away two PCs (minus the harddrive) on it, got a microwave when I needed one, and disposed of most of the furniture from an apartment from a friend that moved to Dubai and didn't have time to take care of it himself.

If you are at all computer savvy, two or three broken desktops will often produce one working desktop. I've had two free "non-working" pcs in my life, both of which just needed virus removal.

I've actually been running from a netbook with only 1 gig ram for around 3 years, does the trick for me. I've seen them as low as $129 Canadian, but definitely under $180 now that people are getting tablets for portability.

Little slow on some games, and NetEnt always takes a long time to load every game, but it may be an affordable choice. The fan went in mine quite a long time ago, but I have a series of gel ice packs to cool it.

Enjoy the rest of your summer, I'm confident you can rejoin us soon.

If there is a local computer company that's been doing business for a decade and mostly has clients that choose it for support, check with them about trade-ins they have taken on company upgrades. If you bring doughnuts and talk sweetly, they might give yours the once over for free to see if worth fixing, and probably have cannabilized parts kicking around.

Also, here we have a few sites for electronic waste disposable. At least one place here will let you take home stuff as well as drop off.

Thanks LaHutti, I considered trying to give advice to get into the bios and change start-up drives, but it would have interferred with drinking.

Try that stuff first Tir.

But honestly, I'm not sure I'd pump any more money into a machine built in 2007, even for a hard drive or power supply.

I have one ready to go to e-cycle that is very dirty and needs a new power supply a $90 part if I install myself. It's $90 because fan and power supply are integrated. Vista too, lol.

If you do just need a hard drive, check out Canada Post rates and pm me.

computers run power on self tests (post) first way before it boots to the operating system.

these tests are inside bios chip on the motherboard and are run as soon as you power up the computer. They test basic hardware suchas keyboard, (as an fyi you can see all the lights on the keyboard flash when its running the keyboard test when you power on the system. Its pretty quick though.) installed ram, hardrive access, video memoryread/write etc..

If all the hardware is ok depending on the bios manufacturer (for Award and Phoenix bios) it generates a single beep and then proceeds to boot the operating system. A single beep on an AMI bios means a ram error.( I guess no beep means all is ok?)

If there is more than one beep then it's a hardware failure.

If you can get back to the "Advanced Boot Options" screen (by pressing F8 a few times right after power up) select the option "boot with command prompt".

You should see the hard drive command prompt which is a capital c and a colon looks like C:\>
At the C: prompt type dir
C:\>dir

you should see all the filenames scroll by, if the hard drive is crapping out it usually has trouble reading the filenames, when this happens usually you hear the grinding noise folks mentioned, this is the hard drive doing retires because portions of the hard drive are corrupted and it can't read the data.

I'd also run chkdsk at the C:\> like seven mentioned
C:\>chkdsk

as an fyi for those with noisy hard drives which is usually the first sign the sucker is on its way out, manufacturers like seagate/western digital all offer free diags you can download to test the hard drive.

This was something to come home to. Great advices everyone:thumbsup:
Some I need to translate first, but some I do get:oops:
I picked up a laptop on my way home today. I need to be able to read here at the same time as I'm trying the computer, or I will miss most of it.

I'm so tired, but I'm a very stubborn lady and I won't let the computer win this battle.
At least I need to find out if it's absolutely impossible to fix it.
Here we go...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back