Does anyone know the time...

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
...that it takes to install windows 10 from a USB, on a new SSD?

My hard drive broke down last summer and finally I've bought a new one. Downloaded Windows 10 on a USB memory and are trying to install it. It started up as it should and I filled in the choices for language and date. It skipped a few steps since I've had it installed earlier. As I've seen on pictures on the internet it continued as it should, but now it have gone 15 hours and I can see it working with something and the only text I see says One moment...

Can it really take this long or have I made a mistake on the way, or is it more problems with the computer?
The difference now is that I bought a SSD, but it was an SSD/HDD hybrid before. Can that be a problem?

I have two other computers but they are getting old. One I use for pictures and the laptop I play my slots on. It's not good enough though so time to fix the best one :)

Edit: I finally called a computer company and they told me it should be very fast so something else must have gone wrong.
No computer today then and I have no idea what to do :(

Last edited:

ternur

Destroying castles in the sky
webby
CAG
mm3
That doesn't sound right.

So the new PC has only SSD, no HDD, right?

Did you check that the SSD is properly connected?

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
That doesn't sound right.

So the new PC has only SSD, no HDD, right?

Did you check that the SSD is properly connected?

It was since it started correct :)

I have no clue what happened but I closed it down and read some more about changes in the BIOS/UEFI, tried something there that was recommended and when I started the computer again it worked like clockwork :D

I have a lot to fix and to download now but it's so fast. I even entered the VS latest battle just to check and it's like a new world again. I have a large screen that I couldn't use on my other computer.

Me happy again :cheerleader:

Ueber Meister
Well i know it should not take 15 hours, USB to SSD it should be less than 1 hour just for the windows install. 2 hours maybe on a slow PC.

ternur

Destroying castles in the sky
webby
CAG
mm3
It was just microsoft sucking the soul out of @Tirilej during the install. They are evil.

I'm happy that she survived the ordeal.

Skål :drink:

mina1929

Meister Member
I am glad you got it sorted @Tirilej as computers can be so frustrating sometimes. Its a good thing you have backup with spare to use :)

I have Windows 10 computer and when it tells me there are updates to install it takes hours or all night. That's too long I think so I turn it off even though it tells me not to and start again lol

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
I am glad you got it sorted @Tirilej as computers can be so frustrating sometimes. Its a good thing you have backup with spare to use :)

I have Windows 10 computer and when it tells me there are updates to install it takes hours or all night. That's too long I think so I turn it off even though it tells me not to and start again lol

That's a bit dangerous to do, since the updates is about your security also.
I know the feeling though and I always has it set so I can decide when I want the updates. I have no patience at all :)

mina1929

Meister Member
That's a bit dangerous to do, since the updates is about your security also.
I know the feeling though and I always has it set so I can decide when I want the updates. I have no patience at all :)

No patience here :laugh: I was waiting all day and I thought stuff it, restart and what ever happens lol