dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
Feeling sick when at your local filling station? Wheezing and sweaty whilst paying for fuel?

Yep - you got CarOwner Virus.

With unleaded at £1.80 a litre and diesel nearly £1.90 it's time to think about ways to save fuel. I work from home and haven't got a life really or any friends so don't use my car much therefore the effect on me personally is negligible at about 2-3k miles a year.

But were it not so, what are the options?

Turn off aircon in summer saves 10% but then you may be tempted to open windows so drag increases consumption.

A couple of bike racks on top? Up to an incredible 40% less efficiency on a long motorway trip.

Cruise control? Little difference, in fact as it cannot see when you go downhill for example, unlike you it won't instantly take its foot off the gas so can be marginally more expensive.

56 mph driving? A myth, in fact 45-50 is the optimum speed, 60 uses 10% more, 70 mph 15% more, 70-80mph 25% more than 50 mph.

Car sharing? Good idea, only you have less freedom to scratch balls, pick your nose and play loud music.

Public transport? OK if the routes approximate with your car journey, but the public can be smelly and revolting to sit near.

Electric car? Aside from 'range anxiety' they are dearer pro-rata and electricity prices have nearly doubled in 3 years, in fact pound-for-pound efficient diesels are actually as cheap to run, and using an EV would take 8-10 years for the average motorist to save the fuel cost that equates to the difference in price between a new diesel and EV of the same class. By then the battery would be nearly fucked anyway and hold the same charge as a fake Chinese Segway, for about as long.

What do you reckon?

Obviously its not always an option, but i think alot of the trips people use their cars for could instead be made on one of these:
jj.gif
If you dont feel like pedalling you can buy one of those electric bikes.
Biggest downside is that its exercise, ew.
But using a bike instead of car to go to/from work even if its only done on days with nice weather would still save you alot of money.

Edit: Finland beat me to it.

Pisses me right off to be honest mate!

Most on here know since my long term career ended in redundancy a few years back, apart from a bit of "Del boying" I drive for a living as my main source of income these days

Self choice, wanted something less stressful, less demanding and more alone time, something my "career" job did not offer, so far so good until these atrocious price rises.

I only drive a little 1.4 Fiesta Diesel which today filling up £25 worth at £1.91 a litre gave me less than half a tank, already put £30 in this week since Monday.

I do get an allowance from work, a massive 0.45p a mile, this used to cover it a year or more back, heck even leave a little profit, no way these days, well at a loss even after the mileage refund.

I am struggling to keep my head above water as it is, these bastards will have me drowning in no time!

Ps: Loved the Car-owner-virus bit, although I did have to say it out loud to "get it" :oops:

Open the passenger door and boot the missus out if you hit the reserve and the math suggests that by taking a detour to the closest, piss takingly ridiculous priced dump on the moterway means you'll probably have to visit yet another station anyway once you get home . Obviously slowing down to do this is not cost effective either so keep the pedal to the metal. Don't be a complete asshole to other motorists though, get out of the the fast lane first.

Spain Prices:
Diesel: 2$/litre

95oct: 2.12$/litre
98oct: 2.28$/litre

Last 10 days Prices:
View attachment 168608
We're "lucky" because we have a 0.20€ discount from the geneours Government... WTF?!?....
Yes, about the same as the UK. It's annoying as it was not too long ago I was filling up for 99p a litre (1Euro 15c) and we had the cheapest fuel in Europe and some of the cheapest energy prices. For a country that's sitting over billions of barrels of untapped oil and a fair bit of gas, the govt. here needs to get a grip and stop the market free-for-all and control domestic supply and prices. :mad:

I have a 4x4 gas guzzler that averages around 25mpg!!! A full tank gets me 300 miles apparently. Thank god I only really do school runs
Yes, you're an environmental terrorist.

"Figures from the data company Refinitiv show how the business of refining oil has become so profitable in the past year.
On the 8 June 2021, UK refiners were making $9.26 per barrel from refining petrol, and $6.84 per barrel refining diesel.
On Wednesday, they were making $43.11 on petrol, up 366%, and $51.13 on diesel, up 648%.
Figures published by BP, which owns a number of refineries in Europe and the US, shows its own measure of refining profits, the ‘Refining Marker Margin’, up from $7.7 dollars per barrel to $35.7 over the past year."

Er... that might explain a little bit.

I suppose it is if you have your own mini nuclear power plant. :)
no need for nuclear power, when I got tesla was deal free charger as longest you own the car, I own same tesla now for 6 years free charger, when I charger at home still free solar p.s even to pay for charger is like £20-£25 for 330m

$2.33l regular, $2.49l diesel........its a crime, our governments both fed and provincially have their hands in the jar to fuel these prices even higher then the gouging oil companies.

That maybe, but I can drive through muddy fields :D
Thank the Lord you aren't rich enough to live in one of the world's wealthiest districts, Kensington & Chelsea - you wouldn't be for long with your Chelsea tractor lol:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

tesla still cheap to travel

View attachment 168611
The cost of traveling in a Tesla vehicle depends on several factors, such as the price of electricity and the cost of maintenance. Currently, charging a Tesla is generally cheaper than refueling a traditional gasoline car, especially when considering the long-term cost savings from reduced fuel and maintenance expenses. However, the upfront cost of buying a Tesla is still relatively high compared to traditional gasoline vehicles. Ultimately, whether a Tesla is considered "cheap" to travel in depends on individual circumstances and priorities, such as the cost of ownership and the personal value placed on environmental sustainability and advanced technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back