CM Announcement Major Forum Upgrade

I'm just curious -- genuinely -- if I understand this correctly:
  1. For those of you that are partial to the current setup, meaning Latest Posts listed before the forum listing, are you saying that your engagement here would drop off considerably if you needed to click on "New Posts" to see the equivalent of the Latest Posts listing?
  2. What if you were able to choose the New Posts page (for example) as your default landing page when you logged in, thus saving you a click?
Before the new posts part was added I used to miss a lot of posts, so I do think it's extremely helpful.
Having said that, you should be able to bookmark the new posts page rather than the top level page of the forum, meaning there are no extra clicks :)

1. For those of you that are partial to the current setup, meaning Latest Posts listed before the forum listing, are you saying that your engagement here would drop off considerably if you needed to click on "New Posts" to see the equivalent of the Latest Posts listing?
  2. What if you were able to choose the New Posts page (for example) as your default landing page when you logged in, thus saving you a click?
It sounds daft Max I know.

But when all the last 10 topics that are getting posted on show on forum homescreen you see the threads you normally want without searching.

I know you can go to new posts etc. but it just does not feel the same. Maybe people will get used to it but earlier I looked at the thread. And when I replied then it goes from new posts. So then you have to search for it. Not a lot of work I know but just feels weirder and harder.

In a nutshell, yes.

I'll openly admit that I for one have struggled with the search function over the years, maybe I have misunderstood what exactly this change / proposed change will entail.

I simply like to access your website, click 'forum' on the home page and see the latest displayed as it is now and has been since....forever.

When Bryan turned if off yesterday as a 'test' and I saw that, it was horrible as it seems is the general consensus with other members.

Surely the techies can solve this to avoid all this unrest, you only have to read this thread to see 99% are not happy about this at all :thumbsup:

It sounds daft Max I know.

But when all the last 10 topics that are getting posted on show on forum homescreen you see the threads you normally want without searching.

I know you can go to new posts etc. but it just does not feel the same. Maybe people will get used to it but earlier I looked at the thread. And when I replied then it goes from new posts. So then you have to search for it. Not a lot of work I know but just feels weirder and harder.
I noticed that too, and forgot to mention it. New posts aren't actually new posts, but new posts you haven't read, which can be a faff on to find again, especially if you don't know which sub-forum they are in.

I'll openly admit that I for one have struggled with the search function over the years ...

That's because is has sucked in stereo for as long as I can remember. :D

I think it was upgraded somewhat recently to allow wildcarding, eg. goose*, but it's still half-crippled for lack of options and granularity. For instance not being able to search for a specific string -- eg "better widget" instead of just a list of posts that have EITHER "better" or "widget" -- is a &%$@*!~ travesty, to put it mildly.

Last edited:
That's because is has sucked in stereo for as long as I can remember. :D

I think it was upgraded somewhat recently to allow wildcarding, eg. goose*, but it's still half-crippled for lack of options and granularity. For instance not being able to search for a specific string, eg "better widget" instead of just a list of posts that have EITHER "better" or "widget", is a travesty, to put it mildly.
In well over 20 years of using forums, both as a member and forum owner, I have yet to find a search that works. Even the ones that are using google search rather than the built in one are terrible :(

I noticed that too, and forgot to mention it. New posts aren't actually new posts, but new posts you haven't read, which can be a faff on to find again, especially if you don't know which sub-forum they are in.

Just did a test. If you look at New Posts and read, for example, thread-X then thread-X no longer shows on New posts. 'Cause it's not new eh? ;)
But it will show on What's New, fwiw.

Just did a test. If you look at New Posts and read, for example, thread-X then thread-X no longer shows on New posts. 'Cause it's not new eh? ;)
But it will show on What's New, fwiw.
Yes, the point being it does show on the box that is currently there :)
Didn't know about the whats new section though :)

Yes, the point being it does show on the box that is currently there :)

Yup, I get that. But what's currently there is DOA in 2.2 so we're looking for ways to get more or less what we had with what is available in 2.2.

This:

Before the new posts part was added I used to miss a lot of post
you can go to new posts etc. but it just does not feel the same
the top 10 last posts is a much easier to read and convenient format

Yes

Won't decrease the whining they will find something else to whine about especially the bear.

But the bear is Swedish. They just swing differently in general. It's not really whining, it's their way of life.

Old Attachment (Invalid)

OK - lets give a different widget a try - it's in house - so it's safe and we aren't relying on some buggy third party software :D

Here goes :D

But the bear is Swedish. They just swing differently in general. It's not really whining, it's their way of life.
Its called constructive complaining.
Its the step that comes after clenching your fist in your pocket and almost saying something.

Like when they open a another register at the store, and people behind you think its ok to swoop over to the new register before you do.
Do they think the queue system is a joke?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back