Leonard Cohen Dead at 82

A literary giant, an expressive poet from his outlook on society, truly a musical genius sadly lost today, I saw him perform last year, typical worded lyrics, but engulfing all the same, I will miss him daily.

During my Uni days I spent a fair bit of time in record stores pawing through the 2nd-hand stacks looking for interesting things to discover. Found a lot of cool weird shit -- The Payolas, Thor, etc -- and one by a guy named Leonard Cohen called Live Songs. Took it home, got distracted, ended up taking it to a party without ever having listened to it. Late in the evening, after the wannabes had pissed off, we were sitting around killing a bottle or three of scotch and after way too much Alan Parsons and Jean Luc Ponty it was my turn to pick something to listen to. On went the Cohen album. I was repulsed and intrigued at the same time: "great lyrics, horrible singer" I thought and when the others started howling in protest I was forced to pull it off halfway through.

Funny thing was that of the four of us there at least three of us became big Cohen fans. I ended up reading his poetry, checking out some of his old haunts in Montreal and generally tried to absorb his "sensitive but no bullshit" way of looking at things into my life. And I was proud that he was Canadian even though he spent far more of his life away from Canada than in it.

Of course he didn't exactly have an easy time of it in life but I think a fair amount of that was self-inflicted, if only indirectly. He pretty much lived his music and poetry as far as I could tell and in a recent interview he sounded like he was worn out. He knew the end wasn't far away and but he wasn't hiding from it. I think he just looked it in the eye like he'd done with most of the rest of his life.

Loved him, was richer for him being there, sorry he's gone. 2016 truly has been a shitty, shitty year.

Yep... But I've had to switch her Internet off for several days, just in case... Let her watch TV for a while.

If she is also a Hillary Clinton supporter and you have not told her the news yet then maybe you could break the news about both of them by showing her this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back