gambler loses 14 million in slots

... there is no 'smoking gun' that points to exact causes (as these vary from person to person), there are countless studies ...[/U]

Of course it is just my opinion, what else could it be? Didn’t say I made a study about it. :)

The fact about all studies though, is that they are inconclusive, as you said “there is no smoking gun”. Some serious work from serious people has been done, but the thing is that there are just too many things about them that can never be accurate. For example, how can you know exactly what is going on inside my head? Even I don’t know!

I have some background in scientific experiments, purity of data and all that. So I usually question everything and have an open mind, but not too open.

About my position in big wins. What triggered my response is the “a big win is the worst thing that can happen to you”. I disagree with that, without arguing about how happy a big win makes us or how many things light up in our brain. Yes we like big wins and we want more of the things we like.
Like a kiss from a loved one. Is love the worst thing?

My personal experience is I never lost control after a big win. I was super happy for days or more. Every single time I lost control was after a big lose. Because I was feeling bad and wanted to win that money back. That is the only fact I have, my personal experience.

There is also the other thing that is a fact and a personal experience. I know some politicians and businessmen that use those (perfectly respectable) studies you mention to impose monopolization of the market and justify ridiculously low TRTP (lower than 60%).

In conclusion, I don’t argue that gambling is addictive and very dangerous. But my opinion is that the biggest danger is the money lose. Imagine a TRTP of 100%. Nobody loses a penny, it would be addictive, but almost all the big problems go away if there is no big money lose involved.

Sorry if I came out too strong, but those damn politicians that try to impose the 60% TRTP have really pissed me of!! :D

Of course it is just my opinion, what else could it be? Didn’t say I made a study about it. :)

The fact about all studies though, is that they are inconclusive, as you said “there is no smoking gun”. Some serious work from serious people has been done, but the thing is that there are just too many things about them that can never be accurate. For example, how can you know exactly what is going on inside my head? Even I don’t know!

I have some background in scientific experiments, purity of data and all that. So I usually question everything and have an open mind, but not too open.

About my position in big wins. What triggered my response is the “a big win is the worst thing that can happen to you”. I disagree with that, without arguing about how happy a big win makes us or how many things light up in our brain. Yes we like big wins and we want more of the things we like.
Like a kiss from a loved one. Is love the worst thing?

My personal experience is I never lost control after a big win. I was super happy for days or more. Every single time I lost control was after a big lose. Because I was feeling bad and wanted to win that money back. That is the only fact I have, my personal experience.

There is also the other thing that is a fact and a personal experience. I know some politicians and businessmen that use those (perfectly respectable) studies you mention to impose monopolization of the market and justify ridiculously low TRTP (lower than 60%).

In conclusion, I don’t argue that gambling is addictive and very dangerous. But my opinion is that the biggest danger is the money lose. Imagine a TRTP of 100%. Nobody loses a penny, it would be addictive, but almost all the big problems go away if there is no big money lose involved.

Sorry if I came out too strong, but those damn politicians that try to impose the 60% TRTP have really pissed me of!! :D

An addiction is something that is harmful both to you and the people around you. It doesn't have much to do with money at all. It's how you manage to deal with it that matter.
Many says that it feels great when they finally are out of money because that is when they start function like a normal person again.

A big win for someone that should stop or that wants to quit can be devastating, while a loss can be a great way of realize that you need help.

If those that are trying to protect people from big wins just put that money to help addicts then I would say ok, do it. That is not where the money is going though unfortunately, and it's probably the same in all countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back