Flashback Trojan hits 550,000 Macs

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

As PCMag's Security Watch noted yesterday, Mac users did not have to download or even interact with the malware to become infected. Websites exploited a Java flaw that let Flashback.K download itself onto Macs without warning. It then asked users to supply an administrative password, but even without that password, the malware was already installed.

"The exploit saves an executable file onto the hard drive of the infected Mac machine. The file is used to download malicious payload from a remote server and to launch it," Doctor Web said.

Doctor Web posted a list of some of the websites containing the malicious code, including ustream.rr.nu, bestustreamtv.rr.nu, ironmanvideo.rr.nu, godofwar3.rr.nu, and more. But in all, "links to more than four million compromised web-pages could be found on a Google SERP at the end of March," the firm said.

Some of those who posted to the Apple forums also reported being infected....

P.S. ... I still think we need a computer/internet section here in the attic....

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

P.S. ... I still think we need a computer/internet section here in the attic....

Yeah, Apple is going to find more of this happening in the future, I think. A lot of Mac users are not particularly computer savy- and trust Apple to do EVERYTHING for them.

The fact they didn't have a large market share protected them from this kind of attack before. But now? ...

Well. They're becoming victims of their own success :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back