DRM be damned: how to protect your Amazon e-books from being deleted

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I had no idea Amazon could even do this. I mean... WTF? Glad I didn't get a Kindle...

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

If you buy e-books from Amazon, and want to engage in a bit of digital civil disobedience—by stripping the files’ DRM and making sure that Amazon can’t deny you access—we’re about to show you how. Yes, many parts of the Internet have known about this technique for some time now, but we feel that it bears mentioning again here.

Over the past week, the tech world has been abuzz with news that—surprise, surprise—Amazon can remotely wipe any Kindle, at any time, for effectively any reason. (The company did it before, ironically, with George Orwell’s 1984, back in 2009.)

This week’s case involves a Norwegian woman (viewed on Google Translate) named Linn Nygaard. She bought a Kindle in the United Kingdom, took it home to Norway, and bought UK e-books on the Kindle. This week, Amazon suddenly disabled her account, taking away her access to an e-book library of 40 books. That move was reversed (viewed on Google Translate) about 24 hours later, with access to her Kindle account restored.

"I have not heard anything from Amazon about this, except that I got a very strange phone [call] ....

Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook - they are all as bad as each other. They are so big that they just treat customers however they want. They only give a rats arse if their share price is hit.

I've found a site where I can get ebooks for free downloaded to my cloud reader Kindle. Love it. They're not bestsellers but free is good. LOL! They actually are bought thru Amazon but from another site called BookBub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back