Corona virus - Covid 19 discussion

A man of Davis's standing? What is that then, the resident clueless clown?

So yeah, on balance, he's an intellectual giant on par with a slightly dense penguin trying to work out how to drive a car.

:laugh:

I think he was probably basing that brexit conclusion on a longer time scale than 6 weeks, give it 5 years and let's see how we're doing compared to before.

You must search online to seek the only countries that had no cases. Taiwan seriously .

They are about the only few countries you mentioned that never had cases yesterday.

Guess an Island like Japan must have had same problem as UK as they were hit bad and still are. South Korea is very strict but they had nearly 500 cases again yesterday.

But must be great to live on Isle of Man. Do not see you saying how great the government did on keeping the Scilly Isles Covid free and out of lockdown for most of the pandemic.
Yeah out government did make a complete balls up of whole situation. But so did just about the rest of Europe and most of the world.

You never seem to post how bad things are in many other countries. Just seem to pick out the very few that have handled it well. Not much different from dealer the way he goes on about Sweden.
He obviously didn't consider those who are suffering with these lock downs in the UK with spouting shite like "we are going to the pub this afternoon then out for a meal tonight".
I see he didn't answer my question about where the vaccations the IOM are using original came from??.

Also, in other news, I'm off to the pub at 2pm with a group of mates, and later on we'll be going for a meal at a nice restaurant.

This is what happens when your lockdown works, and there's a proper strategy, and you manage to eliminate Covid from your country - both lives and businesses can get back to normal.

Ask New Zealand about it, or Australia, or Taiwan etc.
Yeah because comparing your little isle to the uk is totally reasonable pal...

kind of like comparing Sweden to us one would of thought.

He obviously didn't consider those who are suffering with these lock downs in the UK with spouting shite like "we are going to the pub this afternoon then out for a meal tonight".
I see he didn't answer my question about where the vaccations the IOM are using original came from??.
It’s easy to cast judgment when it doesn’t affect you at all sat safe in your home with no worries.

he does that a lot.

Anybody else wonder why the UK is still getting high infection and death figures over 6 weeks after the Xmas relaxation of
the restrictions,who and where are the people still spreading infections bearing in mind schools are shut and we have bèen lockdown
all this year, just seems bit oďd.
I know the figures are dropping slowly but part of that must be the effect of the vaccination program
starting to kick in, logically there must still be widespread contact and lack of social distancing in certain places
or its still being brought into the country from abroad

Last edited:
Anybody else wonder why the UK is still getting high infection and death figures over 6 weeks after the Xmas relaxation of
the restrictions,who and where are the people still spreading infections bearing in mind schools are shut and we have bèen lockdown
all this year, just seems bit oďd.
I know the figures are dropping slowly but part of that must be the effect of the vaccination program
starting to kick in, logically there must still be widespread contact and lack of social distancing in certain places
or its still being brought into the country from abroad
We aren't really. It takes around 2 weeks for infections to go up/down, another 2/4 weeks for hospitalisations and another couple for deaths.
Infection figures are now around 20% of the highest point, admissions about 75% and deaths about the same, but they are dropping and we should see substantial drops in the hospitals and deaths by the time he's thinking about sending the schools back, 8th March.
Things aren't dropping as quickly as last time as it's not as strict a lockdown.
The vaccinations will be helping, but probably not as much as people think, as theres not that many had the second jab yet

14,012,224 (503,116) people have received 1st dose of vaccination in the UK. +3,041,177
530,094 (5,647) people have received 2nd dose of vaccination in the UK. +24,101

These are yesterday's figures

15,144 cases in the UK. -3,970
758 deaths in the UK. -256
1,908 patients admitted to hospital in the UK. -670
24,352 patients in hospital in the UK. -6,156
3,036 patients on ventilation in the UK. -536

30th Jan

23,275 cases in the UK. -10,277
1,200 deaths in the UK. -148
3,117 patients admitted to hospital in the UK. -1,008
34,783 patients in hospital in the UK. -3,116
3,832 patients on ventilation in the UK. -244

16th Jan

41,346 cases in the UK. -18,591
1,295 deaths in the UK. +260
4,532 patients admitted to hospital in the UK. +481
37,475 patients in hospital in the UK. +5,181
3,789 patients on ventilation in the UK. +691

I think there has been pretty substantial drops :)

Good evening folks I'd just like to apologise for my post yesterday about going to the pub. It honestly wasn't intended to be rubbing anyone's nose in it or anything like that, it was supposed to be an expression of frustration with how badly wrong the Covid response has gone in the UK (and indeed in so many other countries in the world), and that how with the correct response it's possible to beat the thing back and return to the things we enjoy and need, seeing our friends and family and doing what used to be normal.

I totally get that we're a small island and it's not comparing apples with apples, but then there are other much larger countries in the world that have done so much better.

I'm not personally unaffected by this stuff. All my family are in the UK (I'm the only one who moved over here, I have no blood relatives on the island), I haven't seen my mum or dad, or my brothers and sister, for over a year. I can't go and visit my last surviving grandparent who is in her mid 90s and could go at any time, and if she dies I won't be able to go to her funeral.

I'm in regular contact with my family in the UK and I know all too well how shite lockdowns have been in the UK, family units and friend networks basically ripped apart and kept in isolation, people out of work, businesses destroyed, and it annoys me, even though I don't live there, I know how bad it has been.

I guess what I was trying to say yesterday was 'There's something better that's possible here, focus on that, focus on the fact that this will end eventually, but demand better from your government and do what you can to help'.

I'm not making excuses though, reading that post back to myself it's insensitive and it's cack-handed and it strikes entirely the wrong tone, and I'm sorry for that.

Honestly, I really hope you get back in the UK what we've got back here on the IOM as soon as possible. We've had two lockdowns here now, I know they're not fun, and I hope you folks get your normal lives back sooner rather than later.

Good evening folks I'd just like to apologise for my post yesterday about going to the pub. It honestly wasn't intended to be rubbing anyone's nose in it or anything like that, it was supposed to be an expression of frustration with how badly wrong the Covid response has gone in the UK (and indeed in so many other countries in the world), and that how with the correct response it's possible to beat the thing back and return to the things we enjoy and need, seeing our friends and family and doing what used to be normal.

I totally get that we're a small island and it's not comparing apples with apples, but then there are other much larger countries in the world that have done so much better.

I'm not personally unaffected by this stuff. All my family are in the UK (I'm the only one who moved over here, I have no blood relatives on the island), I haven't seen my mum or dad, or my brothers and sister, for over a year. I can't go and visit my last surviving grandparent who is in her mid 90s and could go at any time, and if she dies I won't be able to go to her funeral.

I'm in regular contact with my family in the UK and I know all too well how shite lockdowns have been in the UK, family units and friend networks basically ripped apart and kept in isolation, people out of work, businesses destroyed, and it annoys me, even though I don't live there, I know how bad it has been.

I guess what I was trying to say yesterday was 'There's something better that's possible here, focus on that, focus on the fact that this will end eventually, but demand better from your government and do what you can to help'.

I'm not making excuses though, reading that post back to myself it's insensitive and it's cack-handed and it strikes entirely the wrong tone, and I'm sorry for that.

Honestly, I really hope you get back in the UK what we've got back here on the IOM as soon as possible. We've had two lockdowns here now, I know they're not fun, and I hope you folks get your normal lives back sooner rather than later.
I didnt read your post in the manner above, I read it more as this is what happens when a lockdown is down properly and people follow it.
Anyone who has read this thread knows that the lockdown isnt being followed in most of the country, thats why you are able to go to the pub while the rest of us cant.

I didnt read your post in the manner above, I read it more as this is what happens when a lockdown is down properly and people follow it.
Anyone who has read this thread knows that the lockdown isnt being followed in most of the country, thats why you are able to go to the pub while the rest of us cant.
What rubbish... you can’t compare to where he lives to anywhere else lol!!

just like when @dealer wins was slated for comparing Sweden to the uk

during this pandemic you cannot compare anyone’s response to another.. to say So is pure folly as every country is not comparable, for starters has where @ChopleyIOM lives got the mass bame cities we have in the uk?..

the infrastructure I could go into, the travel hubs etc..

And fair play for @ChopleyIOM post it was in a gloating way, no other way to read it but he’s said what he did above so again fair play.

What rubbish... you can’t compare to where he lives to anywhere else lol!!

just like when @dealer wins was slated for comparing Sweden to the uk

during this pandemic you cannot compare anyone’s response to another.. to say So is pure folly as every country is not comparable, for starters has where @ChopleyIOM lives got the mass bame cities we have in the uk?..

the infrastructure I could go into, the travel hubs etc..

And fair play for @ChopleyIOM post it was in a gloating way, no other way to read it but he’s said what he did above so again fair play.
I disagree, did you see what happened in Wuhan when they did a proper lockdown for a month? A city of 11 million people and it was virtually eradicated?
How about New Zealand, 5 million people and no Covid, people getting on with their day to day lives.
Australia's 25 million people are getting on with things, mostly, because they locked down and people had to adhere to it.
Nothing to do with BAME, its to do with lock downs being real lock downs not something where most people go about life as normal anyway.

Last edited:
I disagree, did you see what happened in Wuhan when they did a proper lockdown for a month? A city of 11 million people and it was virtually eradicated?
How about New Zealand, 5 million people and no Covid, people getting on with their day to day lives.
Australia's 25 million people are getting on with things, mostly, because they locked down and people had to adhere to it.
Nothing to do with BAME, its to do with lock downs being real lock downs not something where most people go about live as normal anyway.
Certainly in NZ and Aus the demographics of the country come into play too, but agree the stricter lockdown had a lot to do with it.

Nothing to do with BAME, its to do with lock downs being real lock downs not something where most people go about life as normal anyway.
Piffle.
you can’t compare, if this is your argument then @dealer wins was right all along regarding Sweden.

you can’t pick and choose when it suits your narrative.

Piffle.
you can’t compare, if this is your argument then @dealer wins was right all along regarding Sweden.

you can’t pick and choose when it suits your narrative.
So Wuhan with 11 million people locks down for a month and virtually eradicates the virus, and that means nothing?
Lock downs work when they are adhered to, its been proved.
And sorry to disappoint you, but I am nothing like dealer and BAME has nothing to do with the virus in the UK, its that fact that people still ignore the partial lockdown that we have here, they think they can just do what they want.

So Wuhan with 11 million people locks down for a month and virtually eradicates the virus, and that means nothing?
Lock downs work when they are adhered to, its been proved.
And sorry to disappoint you, but I am nothing like dealer and BAME has nothing to do with the virus in the UK, its that fact that people still ignore the partial lockdown that we have here, they think they can just do what they want.
BAME has nothing to do with the virus in the uk?
Ha!!

so the fact they are much higher risk regarding COVID has nothing to do with it in the uk?..

The fact many of that community will refuse a vaccine has nothing to do with it..

how many large bame communities has @ChopleyIOM isle got?...

It’s got a hell of a lot to do with it, unless of course your ignoring more facts that don’t suit your narrative.

BAME has nothing to do with the virus in the uk?
Ha!!

so the fact they are much higher risk regarding COVID has nothing to do with it in the uk?..

The fact many of that community will refuse a vaccine has nothing to do with it..

how many large bame communities has @ChopleyIOM isle got?...

It’s got a hell of a lot to do with it, unless of course your ignoring more facts that don’t suit your narrative.
BAME has nothing to do with it, the fact is that if people had followed the first lockdown and not partied, went shopping, went to the beach, went on holiday, went to the mosque or the church etc and stayed in for 4 weeks, there would have been no need for lockdown 2 or 3.
Its all about killing the virus by stopping the spread, its not only BAME who spread the virus and I don't understand why your focus always turns in that direction.

BAME has nothing to do with it, the fact is that if people had followed the first lockdown and not partied, went shopping, went to the beach, went on holiday, went to the mosque or the church etc and stayed in for 4 weeks, there would have been no need for lockdown 2 or 3.
Its all about killing the virus by stopping the spread, its not only BAME who spread the virus and I don't understand why your focus always turns in that direction.

Well the virus can't be killed. It is all over the press today that we will have to live with it and that some of the population will always be vulnerable to it, same as they are vulnerable to the flu.

I can see why you would compare and draw an example from the IOM.

By comparing better with your own is how you merit success and learn.

IOM lockdown was carried out swifter and I imagine adhered to better than the UK. Granted one mistake for us and the results are more devastating but the fact still remains that we locked down late and lets face it, since the first lockdown, which was late, the subsequent ones have not really been as serious or taken as serious as the first.

We told everyone to not bother with masks and did not enforce our lockdowns like we should have. Was there a BLM protest on the IOM? Serious question but i doubt it because it was a stupid thing to do. I dare say on the IOM anybody caught flaunting or not taken it seriously would have been commandeered much quicker and in a more serious way than our nanny state. Video of party goers in Brixton running the Police out - embarrassing!

One mistake after another while with other countries and the IOM in comparison the ones who have done well have acted swiftly, without prejudice and decisively.

We should look at them and say we could have and should have done that. Why didnt we and what did they do differently? I cant think of one thing we could not have accomplished that others did.

We should look at them and say we could have and should have done that. Why didnt we and what did they do differently? I cant think of one thing we could not have accomplished that others did.

Resource for a start.... all and well having those rules and regulations but if there is nobody to enforce it then you get what happened. Different perhaps in Wuhan where they are used to dictorial regimes.

And of course the IOM did it better than us. How many entry points do they have compared to England for a starter. Last time I checked, the IOM is also not a transit hub to other countries, such as London is.

Resource for a start.... all and well having those rules and regulations but if there is nobody to enforce it then you get what happened. Different perhaps in Wuhan where they are used to dictorial regimes.

And of course the IOM did it better than us. How many entry points do they have compared to England for a starter. Last time I checked, the IOM is also not a transit hub to other countries, such as London is.
It’s frankly not comparable.
It’s like saying the Shetland islands done well to be honest.

If you want to look at the far east, don't forget japan, 6,800 deaths with no real lockdown and yet greater tokyo has a pop of 37 million.
They've had 413,000 cases and we've had 4 million with about half the size of population. [126m Japan's total pop, and median age 48 compared to uk's 40]

All the top uk Govt scientists should be out there [rather than on the tv media and twitter] trying to work out the exact reasons for their comparative success. If we'd been able to match them we'd have approx 3,500 deaths instead of 116,000 [adjusted for population] that's the gap.

Over 130,000 Police Officers, Army plus the 80,000 or so reserves.

Ummm, what else can i think of? Borers closed late, misniformation, delayed sourcing of PPE. return to school to quick and not cautious enough, the list goes on and on of failure after failure.

We had the man-power, we didnt employ it.

Im yet to be convinced the UK government carried out anything except for the recent roll out of vaccinations effectively.

Edit: Police reserves? It wouldnt have come to it if we had enforced it correctly and sent out the correct message.

2nd Edit: Im not saying it was not easier for them but it could have been easier for us.

Over 130,000 Police Officers, Army plus the 80,000 or so reserves.

Ummm, what else can i think of? Borers closed late, misniformation, delayed sourcing of PPE. return to school to quick and not cautious enough, the list goes on and on of failure after failure.

We had the man-power, we didnt employ it.

Im yet to be convinced the UK government carried out anything except for the recent roll out of vaccinations effectively.

Edit: Police reserves? It wouldnt have come to it if we had enforced it correctly and sent out the correct message.

2nd Edit: Im not saying it was not easier for them but it could have been easier for us.

You're serious? Army on the streets? We're not North Korea.

I say it again, this and every other Western Government had to way up so many factors and find a middle ground between doing nothing and the other extreme of imprisoning everybody in their home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back