Christmas plans?

winbig

Keep winning this amount.
Unfortunately, I'm living in Pennsylvania while the rest of my family is several states away. My sister is in Indiana and my mother is in Texas. I don't have any family besides them. :(

I usually get invited by my best friend to join his family on Christmas eve, but they're not doing anything special this year due to finances.

I was just wondering if anyone else here was in the same boat that I am, and what you usually do during the holidays. :poke:

Being one out of 8 children..and the only one out of the state where my family resides..I decided to remodel my kitchen as my Christmas present to me (and my husband) ! My sisters and brothers have all their families around them so they do not visit during the holidays either..Merry Christmas though!!

Christmas for us is definitely family time, and we have been extraordinarily fortunate in having (now grown) children who still make a big effort to join us at this time of the year.

It's easier for us all now because two of the 'kids' live in the same coastal city as ourselves, but the third travels some 1 600 kilometres from a major city inland to be with the family.

Being in the southern hemisphere, it's the height of summer here and so the days are spent doing stuff at the beaches, visiting vineyards or just kicking back and having a barbeque out on the patio - a great place for this because it has a really great view.

On Christmas day we follow the English tradition of a bit of a feast with different meats and fowl and of course plenty of wine and Christmas pudding, festive decorations, traditional carols on the stereo, large Christmas tree with pressies beneath and so on.

The traffic and shopping gets chronic over the Christmas period because we live in a place that attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists on their end-of-year holidays, but there's a great festive sort of buzz that makes up for it.

I just hope I'm better off financially next Christmas, so I can take time off to travel and be with what little family I have left..

Sigh....even Cracker Barrel is closed on Christmas day. Earlier I was thinking of driving the 30 miles to the closest one for Christmas lunch or dinner. :(

Unfortunately, I'm living in Pennsylvania while the rest of my family is several states away. My sister is in Indiana and my mother is in Texas. I don't have any family besides them. :(

I usually get invited by my best friend to join his family on Christmas eve, but they're not doing anything special this year due to finances.

I was just wondering if anyone else here was in the same boat that I am, and what you usually do during the holidays. :poke:

Fill up 'ur car and drive over here! :D

I hate the holidays, I know it sounds funny, but my problem being around people bothers me the most this time of year. I would be happy to be alone, then I wouldn't be nervous. I stayed home for Thanksgiving and loved it.

I LOVE Christmas morning because of my children, but don't like Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Other family members asking me to come over when they know how I am.

Winbig...you should call up an old friend tomorrow, (oops it's today already...lol) or go somewhere where you will bump into people you know tomorrow, I bet it will make you happy. If you normally go to your best friends house and they aren't doing anything special, can't you just go over to hang out? Bring some some munchies for everyone and just have a nice night together. And don't forget to call mom and sis.

Well, I came into a little extra money suddenly, so my Christmas present to myself is going to be a trip down to AC later on today.

I'll be staying overnight (for free) in one of the best rooms that Caesars has to offer - before you get into the suites.

I could actually stay there for 3 nights, through Christmas, but the $50/day room security deposit would eat too much into my gambling budget for this trip. :(

Oh well, it'll be fun! ..and maybe I'll win enough so that I can stay longer :p

just play: where's "here?"

I hate the holidays, I know it sounds funny, but my problem being around people bothers me the most this time of year. I would be happy to be alone, then I wouldn't be nervous. I stayed home for Thanksgiving and loved it.

I LOVE Christmas morning because of my children, but don't like Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Other family members asking me to come over when they know how I am.

While I'm not afflicted with any phobias JustPlay, I am very much like you. Beyond the two people I have chosen to be friends with...I don't care much for people in general...in large groups. I'm comfortable with myself, and enjoy my own company, and that of my daughter.

To answer Win's question directly...beyond my nine year old daughter, I have no family at all...none. I have spent the last four Christmases alone, as I let my daughter go with her dad and his family for Christmas. They are Italian...have a large family, and it's good for her to experience that. But this year, she is staying home with me....so I actually had to put up the tree, and will be cooking dinner for just her and I. I'm really looking forward to spending Xmas with her. But if not for her, I'm with JustPlay...I'm quite happy on my own.

Sidenote: The one thing that she wanted most this year was a Crayola Digital Camcorder....which after much searching on Amazon (and price gouging to boot, lol), I managed to get her. She doesn't think she's getting it, so will be very surprised. Be prepared for MANY youtube links of her and our dog, lol.

Thanks, I don't feel so alone anymore :)

Sidenote: The one thing that she wanted most this year was a Crayola Digital Camcorder....which after much searching on Amazon (and price gouging to boot, lol), I managed to get her. She doesn't think she's getting it, so will be very surprised. Be prepared for MANY youtube links of her and our dog, lol.

If I were you, I'd wrap this up in a shoe box and video her opening it. Her change in expressions from what it looks like to opening it up and seeing what it actually is would be priceless!

note: Be sure to tape up the shoe box really good, making it hard to open......:D

*evil*

just play: where's "here?"

Massachusetts....not too far. :D

When I was younger this was what we did for Christmas.....

We are Polish so Christmas Eve is a big thing. Nice Polish dinner (no meat allowed) we have a small family, we would get together at my house and just spend time together. No presents from my dad (still don't know why he doesn't like giving presents on Eve...lol) We would have a fake Christmas tree that I would decorate, it was huge, took a lot of time.

Christmas Day was the best! My dad always and still does, go all out on presents, the livingroom would be packed with gifts, I mean A LOT OF GIFTS!!! He only has 2 children so we were spoiled. :D We would spend time opening the presents while he drank his coffee. I don't remember any "special" food on Christmas day.

To this day I still can't sleep on Christmas Eve, lol, I think it's because of all the presents I would get when I was younger. hahahaha

Ohhhhhhhh I loveeeeeeee that!!! When the children don't think they are getting something and get it!!!

We are Polish so Christmas Eve is a big thing.

Christmas eve was the big thing for us too, growing up in Bavaria.

In the morning of the 24th the living room door would be locked and you knew the tree and presents were in there. Parents would decorate the tree the night before... and we would not see it til the evening of the 24th, after dinner, which was early.

We would have to stand in front of the tree and sing Christmas songs before opening presents, and boy were we wriggly, lol!

After I left home and moved across the big pond, I used to have lots of people over for dinner on Christmas day, the whole livingroom was tables and chairs and I would have to cook both turkey and ham to feed everyone. I took in "strays", people that is. Students far from home, people who had no families nearby for whatever reason.

It was fun, but nowadays I prefer quiet holidays, just my husband and me. Neighbors may drop in on the afternoon of the 24th, but after that we keep to ourselves and spend a comfy, relaxing time.

Looking forward to it, it'll be so cozy!

December 25 we always have dinner at the Chinese restaurant. It's usually packed so we make reservations!;)

Last edited:
December 25 we always have dinner at the Chinese restaurant. It's always packed so make reservations!;)

I love Chinese food! Right now we are in the sleet, rain and ugly weather and headed for the East Coast for New Year's so we can be in the snow:rolleyes:

I'm home alone, and just fine with that. Took some lamb chops out for my dinner, I have a nice bottle of red wine, and will share some treats with my dog.

I had a nice meal with my daughter, SIL and handsome grandson (almost a year now and quite the delight) Tuesday, and they are off to the in-laws.

3Dice will see me for some tourney play, and hopefully I get out and make a deposit on my prepaid today.

Hope you have a great time in AC Winbig, and you will eat well I am sure. I would have stayed at Rama if not for my furry buddy Pal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back