An Unusual Angle on Playng the Derby

Scorp

Dormant account
Over at Bitbets, I came across a couple of Derby propositions, one for a horse "Orb", the other for a horse, "Revolutionary".

The prop reads:"Orb, the horse, will win first place in the 2013 Kentucky Derby" , the other prop is identical except for the horse-name.

You can bet for, or against either or both props. Both props (these are parimutuel betting structures ... you are betting against other people and the house takes a very small percentage) are about even money.

: "Even money to LOSE on two separate horses???" I thought. "How can I lose?" and impulsively entered "No" bets on both. It smells like easy money this far out. Even post time favorites often find ways to lose. This far out, a good number end up not running at all... they go lame, or they don't make it to the fiinal pick, etc.

BUT... now I am also thinking... if I were following a derby contender that I was pretty hot about... that would be a great way to get a decent price on a horse that might go to post, afterall, at short to very short odds.

I'm probably not seeing all the potential angles with this.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back