Your first and your best world cup memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
1982 World Cup in Spain, I was still living in Romania and they of course did not show any games.

However, some smart boys / men had constructed a long range antenna and on one particular hill they could receive a signal from Bulgarian TV. You thought the entire village was on its feet when a game was on although it was about 45 minutes walk or 15 minute bicycle ride from the village center . They had one fairly large TV in B/W on a stack of straw bales, the picture sort of clear with the usual disturbance / interference but we were all glued to the screen. :D

What I found was the funniest were the side comments from all the grown-ups, e.g. "How did he miss that one, I could have nicked that in with my little finger." Right! :rolleyes:

P.S. I might add that at the time I was 13 and a young hopeful footballer playing in the U14 of Steagul Rosu Brasov, a team from the Romanian Premier League. 1.5 years later I was called up to play in the U16 National Team for Romania but never made it past a seat on the reserves bench. Six months later I was banned because my parents did not return to Romania from a visit to Germany and another six month later I followed them together with my brother. That was then the end of my footballer fairy tale. Never managed to stay on the level I was at 15, maybe because I discovered smoking, drinking and girls. :D

Last edited:
Best:

First, from VHS though as I was liquid back in those years:

what a sick match was that!

My first World Cup memory was USA 1994 and more specifically Roberto Baggio's missed penalty against Brazil in the final which handed Brazil their 4th world title. 6 year old me was devastated, as a big fan of Italian football and Mr Baggio. Looking back maybe this was a blessing in disguise as it gave me the resolve to deal with World Cup woe, which has stood me in good stead for England's performances over the years.

Best World Cup memory was France 1998 - an 18 year old Michael Owen - tearing through the Argentinean defence to score 'that goal', which to this day is up there with some of the all time great World Cup goals. As a life-long Liverpool fan, I knew full well what Owen was capable of even at such a tender age, given his performances in the league that season, but I don't think anyone could've anticipated the impact he made and the sheer quality of that goal.

My Best/Fav world cup Memory :

Unforgettable ...I'm sorry for the Dutch
My first world cup Memory:

Naranjito :D :D... I was just only 8 :p

WE SHOULD HAVE WON!

Never forgiven that fat Maradona for his cheating, "hand of god" my arse :mad:

Best ever World Cup for me was Italia 1990 under Bobby Robson, one of the most enjoyable World Cups ever for lots of reasons (excluding of course penalty shoot outs :( )

Yeah always comes to mind and what came to mind when seeing this thread. Sick game vs west germany. Pearce penalty saved. Waddle afterwards sending his towards north korea. Gazza crying. :(
Would of been 8yrs old maself :( always 2090 though!

matthäus goal against Yugoslavia WorldCup '90

And then Matthaus married our girl Marijana :laugh:

2010th something impossible happened - we beaten Germany 1:0 lol You can see how unexpected it was from the reactions :laugh:

First memory is Scotland goal against Norway in France '98 Craig Burley scored it and when he looks in the camera hes got a gap of two teeth :laugh:

Also vividly remember Dennis Bergkamps magnificent goal against Argentina(same world cup). Even remember where I was at the time!

Last edited:
The first World Cup I watched was the 1982 tournament in Spain. Being only 9 at the time, it was perfect because the afternoon games kicked off at 4pm (got home from school in time) and the evening games kicked off at 8pm (school year coming to an end so I was allowed to stay up late).

My first memory (I think) was Brazil v Russia. Russia scored first, only for the great Socrates to do this...

There were so many great moments in that tournament.
Gerry Armstrong scoring the winner for Northern Ireland against Spain to qualify for the second round.
Bryan Robson scoring after 27 seconds against France.
The Brazilians scoring wonder goals almost at will.
I was really sad when they were knocked out by Italy (one of the greatest games ever though).
That Brazil team was (in my humble opinion) the greatest team not to win a WC (yep, even better than the '74 Dutch team).

But I remember the controversy in '82 just as vividly.
The West Germany v Austria game that robbed Algeria of a place in the second round.
Then Schumacher knocking Battiston out cold in the semi-final against France (which was probably even better than the Brazil v Italy game).

But my best memory is probably this one....

I have never watched the world cup. But my city has a pretty big Portuguese community, and I have a fond memory of sitting in my window above the street watching the Parade before the the Qualifier in the early afternoon with my daughter in her playpen shortly before we moved from there, and again late that night the celebrants when they won the their birth in 1966, the first time in 20 years.

Two years when my daughter and I arrived in Bruges, our hostel was very close to small square, and we could hear a party. Belgium was playing, and there were vendors and a huge TV screen. I was knacked from travelling, kiddo went on ahead, I didn't know what it was, but when in search of the noise, after a rest-up, with my rain poncho on, and caught the last few minutes of the match. Belgium lost, so the crowd dispered fairly quickly, and I managed to find kiddo and a bench and a couple of beers to catch up as well sat in the drizzle.

30 years between any soccer fond memories, and they both feature my daughter. I'm gonna send her a link to this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back