Windows XP Rant

winbig

Keep winning this amount.
My god, how *()&@#$@$@ retarded is Windows XP?

Ok, the time changed Sunday morning at 2am. Sounds good, right?

Well, I was on my laptop (Vista) all day Sunday, so I didn't notice this until just now, but my XP machine (sp3) NEVER CHANGED TO THE CORRECT TIME.

I'm in the Eastern time zone, which is GMT -5. Well, the time servers were the same on my XP and Vista box, so why didn't my XP box change? :confused:

When everything was said and done, I had to go in and change my time zone to ATLANTIC (GMT -4) for XP to show the correct time.

Anyone else having this problem? I've tried 5 different NTP (time) servers, and always got the same results; so that's definitely not the problem. :rolleyes:

My god, how *()&@#$@$@ retarded is Windows XP?

Ok, the time changed Sunday morning at 2am. Sounds good, right?

Well, I was on my laptop (Vista) all day Sunday, so I didn't notice this until just now, but my XP machine (sp3) NEVER CHANGED TO THE CORRECT TIME.

I'm in the Eastern time zone, which is GMT -5. Well, the time servers were the same on my XP and Vista box, so why didn't my XP box change? :confused:

When everything was said and done, I had to go in and change my time zone to ATLANTIC (GMT -4) for XP to show the correct time.

Anyone else having this problem? I've tried 5 different NTP (time) servers, and always got the same results; so that's definitely not the problem. :rolleyes:

My XP changed fine and I have mine set at Eastern-5GMT. Did you check in your clock properties to see if you are using "time.windows.com ??

I wonder if it could be because your internal internet card is connecting up to atlantic time?

My XP changed fine and I have mine set at Eastern-5GMT. Did you check in your clock properties to see if you are using "time.windows.com ??

:p of course. I've also tried multiple .mil time servers as well...same results. I even went into the regional settings control panel in XP and checked to make sure everything is right in there. It's not an issue of not being able to update the time - it's more of a problem that it's updating to the wrong time. I also tried it after unchecking "automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes." - same results. :confused:

And no, I don't have any other programs that might be confusing matters...like a firewall or AV...

btw, are you running SP2 or SP3?

Did you try "time.nist.gov ??

Yep...

Just checked windows update, but shouldn't this have been in SP3? :rolleyes:

Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
Typical download size: 255 KB , less than 1 minute
Install this update to resolve an issue that is caused by revised daylight saving time laws in many countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2008. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

There were actually quite a few of those "K" updates that were not included in SP3, it looks like you have found the issue now..:thumbsup:

yep...and the new dates for daylight saving have been in effect for what, 2 years now?

I remember when they first changed those around. Cell phones wouldn't even update for that week's difference....at least with computers you can force it to display the right time..lol

The time hasn't changed in Europe - it's the same still...maybe this has something to do with it.

My XP machine cannot even CONNECT to the Windows defined time servers, so NEVER updates, corrects, displays the correct time etc. It tries, but an error is logged in one of the system logs, and no Windows update has ever made a difference.

I let it run slowly fast, and haul it's ass back manually to the correct time every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back