Why is poker dominated by males?

Jemm79

Dormant account
hi there

In my experience of online poker, it seems that guys outnumber the girls by more than 3:1.
Is this accurate? And why are there not more females playing?

thanks,
J

I am a female who loves poker. There is nothing more satisfying as to bluff a guy off a good hand. I believe the stats are true, come on girls the game is fun.:D

I also play poker all the time an I agree
with Classy love to take a man out
an when they find out you are a ladie hahaha

Cindy

i hear you ladies - respect for taking on the guys!!
But, seriously, what is it about poker that attratcs way more guys than girls?

CM, you did not just said that. :eek:

I played for years with a bunch of guys at a weekly game. Matter of fact, I was the only woman that played. I took more of their money than they took mine. And earned their respect as a good poker player.

How about Jennifer Harmon, Clony Gowan, Cindy Violette? Are they not as good as the boys?

Come on now.

Simple: men are better poker players than women. It's a man's game.

Hmmmmm....interesting. I seem to remember that I finished AHEAD of you in the last CM poker tourney...AND I didn't rebuy either. Care to rethink that statement? :p

Annie, he was joking...ha ha. Just trying to rile up the women, he should know better by now. :laugh:

I have seen some mighty fine ladies beat many guys in the game of poker.
You have many that play very well.It's everyone's game.
If your good your good.
I rather play with them any day of the week.
And they are not as cocky as us guys are.(I only seen afew that are)
I only play poker now at Foxwoods & The Mohegan Sun and I would say it's like 4 to 1 at a table guys in favor.
All I can say is Go Girls this is not just a guys game anymore.

I don't know.... Women are always taking my money... :oops:

Ahhhh Lots0, pretty sure I told you to avoid "those" areas of town...now didn't I? Besides, we're talking about poker here. :laugh: :smilewink:

It could have to do with there are just more men playing...it's something guys have always done: played poker. Either as a kid, in college, in the military, etc., there always has been sort of a macho thing going on. And when that macho thing kicks in (watching football, drinking beer around a barbecue, fishing trips, poker, etc.,) women are generally not interested.

It's only now becoming more popular (via online poker and the media) so women are beginning to catch on.

There also may be more inherent skills at work as well: men tend to internalize things more, while women are more verbal and readily display their emotions. It may be interesting to see how the online women players fare against playing in a real game at home. Bet I could beat 'cha :p

id just LOVE

To play a game of live poker cos im utterly minging at onine poker so id need t resort to some flashing in a live game to put the dudes off there game something id be happy to do to remove some green from wallets :lolup::lolup::lolup:

Bet I could beat 'cha :p

Yea, don't play Poker against Bryan. He's not above winning Legos from little kids! He has no couth!

So we began to play. And after about a half hour, he was catching on. Even though I had to keep reminding him about the hierarchy of hands, he got lucky a few times - he even got dealt a pair of aces and pulled up a third after he discarded. It was time to get down to business I thought, and I commenced to kick ass. You should have seen him cry when he lost his last Lego. What a baby. And of course he had to go tell his mom.

Old URL

:lolup:

Also women tend to be more inclined to play a lower variance game such as 7stud8 or Omaha8. If you play those games you will notice the number of women are close to have. In WSOP events they are about 20-25%.

Because men are better

Personally i think it is because men are better :p

Without trying to sound too sexist i think it is something that is built into the genes or something ... men really are better at pretty much every sport that men and females play !

I mean even the sports that dont involve strength men are miles better, why cant the best women compete with the best men at darts, snooker, pool etc ?

I think it is the natural order of things

WAYLANDER

Personally i think it is because men are better :p

Without trying to sound too sexist i think it is something that is built into the genes or something ... men really are better at pretty much every sport that men and females play !

I mean even the sports that dont involve strength men are miles better, why cant the best women compete with the best men at darts, snooker, pool etc ?

I think it is the natural order of things

WAYLANDER
Ahmmm, What kind of females are you hanging out with?

The women I know are ultra competitive with men and really get off when they beat a man at anything...

It is sort of OT remark, as it has nothing to do with poker. I just noticed that in most of slots male symbols pay higher than female ones. You get 1000 coins if you hit 5 Kings, but only 750 coins for 5 Queens. Same goes for he-fox vs. she-fox in Tally Ho... Guess men simply dominate everywhere :D

Pardon me while I interrupt this misogynistic circle jerk...

To answer the original question, 'tis a matter of history. In the past, poker was played in places where "women of virtue" weren't allowed...saloons, gentlemen's clubs, etc. Women were relegated to salons and parlors, where such genteel games as whist and hearts were deemed suitable for the fairer sex. Suitable by whom? Men, of course.

Therefore women of a certain age have come to the game late. Some of us had the good fortune to have fathers who taught their kids poker and blackjack regardless of gender. Most do not.

Online, poker seems to be one of the last two refuges of the non-evolved male (The other being certain sports betting forums). By non-evolved I mean those males for whom the word "tit" is a noun and a verb...for whom the phrase "That's so gay." is the be-all of their intellectual prowess...for whom the thought of moving out of their parent's basement sends chills down their unwashed spines...and for whom the word "donkey" has lost all meaning and is their only excuse for losing a hand. Unfortunately, too often we women find ourselves at a table ridden with these trogolodytes...making the game tiresome instead of enjoyable. It's hard to hone your skills when the knuckle-draggers are verbally playing with each other under the table.

The idea that women are inferior players simply because they are women is a fallacy. Poker, in all incarnations, is a game of strategy as well as skill. There isn't a male alive who hasn't gotten their ass handed to him by a female in a game of Monopoly, Parcheesi, Stratego, checkers, chess, etc...all games of strategy. As more and more women come to the game of poker, it will be more commonplace for women to make that elusive final table. It's just a matter of time.

One more thing...I sincerely doubt many of you could beat me or my mother in a game of pool, or my sister-in-law in a game of darts. You boys just aren't hanging around in the right bars.;)

Now Now

Now now Swampwitch....you know i'm right

And as for being a misogynist, you couldn't be further from the truth...

I love Women ... Women are good at plenty of things :D

WAYLANDER

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back