What's Ya Weather At?

Peak so far in UK 38.1c (100.6f). Nowhere near beating the record, as I predicted! :cool: We would have if it weren't for the pesky cloud coming up from over the channel which took a bit off, later in the afternoon so yeah, it could've hit 39c+. 41.7c in Holland, they smashed their record as did the Germans. Up until this summer, the record temperatures for the UK, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Holland, Germany were all within a 1.5c band, not any more!

Peak so far in UK 38.1c (100.6f). Nowhere near beating the record, as I predicted! :cool: We would have if it weren't for the pesky cloud coming up from over the channel which took a bit off, later in the afternoon so yeah, it could've hit 39c+. 41.7c in Holland, they smashed their record as did the Germans. Up until this summer, the record temperatures for the UK, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Holland, Germany were all within a 1.5c band, not any more!
I beleve that what they say is an avarage temperature for a location. Today in London the weather was insane... I see people everywhere half naked and pissed properly...:)

Mid level cloud scuppered the chance of getting the extra 0.5c needed to beat the all time record yesterday (as Dunover correctly pointed out). So the 10th August 2003 record still stands for now :)

What a hellish day it was working in it though :eek2:

Apparently the Metoffice are verifying a 38.7c temperature recorded yesterday. If they accept it then the all time record set in 2003 falls.

And I thought it was cow methane emissions and leaving my hallway light on 10 minutes longer that contributed to their propaganda message!

Little did I know it was pollution on an industrial scale by profiteering capitalist companies that was the real cause!

ps the way they make it sound is as though no one knew about Global Warming prior to 2019. Thanks to today's generation, it's the first I've heard of it!

Con job by met office to plug climate change funny how it takes 24 hours to decide

The temperature was submitted by Cambridge Botanic Gardens apparently. It's a site that can be used for official temperature registering from what I can gather.

So most likely we'll see the record go once it has been verified.

Yep met office got to fiddle the official machine to ensure they get govt money for fighting climate change not breaking the record would not be able to say it needs the funds

Without a doubt, one or more places in England exceeded 40C yesterday. Looking at the roadside weather stations (calibrated to a high standard) owned by Highways England there were several stations reporting 40C in Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire between 16:00 and 16:30 BST.

Had instability held off for another 60-90 minutes, resulting in less cloud development over London and the Home Counties, then somewhere like Northolt, Writtle or Cambridge would have got a degree or so higher.

Taking a look at Google Earth imagery of the site at the Botanical Gardens, everything looks OK apart from the hedge surrounding the Stevenson screen. That could cause an issue when site investigators head there next week.

Whatever happens, record breaking for many European countries and I hope the extreme heat doesn't return this summer!

Without a doubt, one or more places in England exceeded 40C yesterday. Looking at the roadside weather stations (calibrated to a high standard) owned by Highways England there were several stations reporting 40C in Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire between 16:00 and 16:30 BST.

Had instability held off for another 60-90 minutes, resulting in less cloud development over London and the Home Counties, then somewhere like Northolt, Writtle or Cambridge would have got a degree or so higher.

Taking a look at Google Earth imagery of the site at the Botanical Gardens, everything looks OK apart from the hedge surrounding the Stevenson screen. That could cause an issue when site investigators head there next week.

Whatever happens, record breaking for many European countries and I hope the extreme heat doesn't return this summer!

I sense someone else with a decent meteorological understanding :)

Absolutely. Qualifications of BSc, FRMetS, RMet. Before working in this industry I spent many a year at Bracknell (before Exeter more) and time at Luqa Met in Malta :)

Wow, brilliant! Truly qualified.

I've got my eyes firmly on the upcoming winter. Solar min, descending EQBO and a N Atlantic tripole that rapidly formed back end of May into June!

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Jesus! It's hard to imagine this when in the South, SW and SE it's been dry lately in the main aside from the odd heavy shower.

And therein lies the crucial point, 'roadside' which even in a Stevenson screen means temperatures are exaggerated by vehicle heat, emissions and radiated heat from tarmac. In meteorological terms that's like me going out in the garden on a frosty day, sticking a thermometer up my ass and exclaiming a new winter record high. :laugh:

We would have certainly exceeded a natural and genuine 39c without that cloudy interlude late afternoon.

Get the next few weeks out of the way and I can start looking forward to piecing the puzzle of winter '19/20 together.

Given the state of Arctic Sea ice and the low solar activity I think analogues will be useless in attempting a forecast. I also believe the seasonal NWP (weather modelling) will be of little use.

What we do know is that we have a N Atlantic tripole (at present), ENSO state that has been close to neutral for a while, and a QBO that looks to go into its easterly phase sometime around October. One fly in the ointment could be the big +ve PDO which could serve to fire up the jet stream but we'll see I guess!

Ontario Canada is starting to get ready for fall. Harvest time for all our amazing vegetables. Day time highs around plus 26-28, night time lows around plus 16. Last night it got down to plus 10 where I live. Darker earlier. Sadly Canada only really gets 2 months of summer like weather :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back