What are things you would never do now, that you did when you were younger?

just play

closed account
My friends and I were discussing things that were perfectly ok to do 20, 30, 40, years ago, that no way in hell people would do these days.

There were a few funny ones, like "I wouldn't get a Dorothy Hamill haircut", or wear leg warmers as a fashion statement. :laugh:

My top pick is...make a ham and cheese sandwich with mayo, put it in a paper bag in your backpack for 4 hours in the summer time, then eat it for lunch. These days, you must have a lunch bag with an ice pack for your food.

So what did you do when you were younger, that you wouldn't think of doing now?

This is a question for us 'oldies' :oops:

My answer has to be...almost everything :D

:lolup:

It could be for people in their 20's and 30's too...I'm sure my 23 year old could come up with a few. :D

I was just thinking how different it was, like seat belts, choices with foods, walking the streets at a very young age alone, buying cigarettes for neighbors when I was 10 :laugh: (I got to keep the change from $1) clothing picks, etc...I'm sure members can think of more than I have.

Okey, if I think a little deeper I really did some stupid and dangerous things that I never would do now.

I hitch-hiked by myself all over this country at the age of 15 :D

Those times I got drunk spitting a police officer in the face and then throwing up at the desk in the station.
That even made it in the local newspaper. Well, I've done my fair share:oops:

Okey, if I think a little deeper I really did some stupid and dangerous things that I never would do now.

I hitch-hiked by myself all over this country at the age of 15 :D

Those times I got drunk spitting a police officer in the face and then throwing up at the desk in the station.
That even made it in the local newspaper. Well, I've done my fair share:oops:

:eek::eek::eek: and :lolup::lolup::lolup:

You mean like the local newspaper said "Tirilej spit in an officers face and threw up on their desk"? hahahahahaha, I would sooo love to read that story!

nisosbar

Smoke cigarettes - former 3-pack/day smoker here.

My neighbors have a really nice house, the husband was a 3-pack a day smoker as well, he didn't want to "smell" up the new house when they moved in next to us and quit cold turkey! I have tried numerous times, can't do it. :( I'm an almost 1-pack a day.

Hmmm...now that I think of it, (after laughing my ass off over Tirilejs post) maybe I should have started a "what is the funniest/worst thing you did when drunk. :laugh:

My neighbors have a really nice house, the husband was a 3-pack a day smoker as well, he didn't want to "smell" up the new house when they moved in next to us and quit cold turkey! I have tried numerous times, can't do it. :( I'm an almost 1-pack a day.

You know what's so funny? People say gambling is bad for you - well, honestly, in this case, it saved my life, because about 20 years ago, I also quit cold turkey on a bet with my best friend who also smoked heavily - we both were going to quit at the same time, and the person who failed first to stick to it owed the other $100, and I won, lol. And I just never went back; I'd sneak one every now and then, but always regretted it the next day.

When I was a kid my bicycle was my constant companion. A lot of the stuff I did on a bicycle makes me shudder today!

Worst was probably going down this huge hill near an apartment complex close to where I live. I looked down for a split second at my speedometer and it was bouncing between 55 and 65 MPH!

I thought nothing of it as a kid, but I think now what would've happened if my frame broke (happened to me a few times) or a car came out from a side street, I would have been a stain on the street.

The freestyle romantic encounters we used to have would also be a no-no nowadays.

In my younger days I used to hitch all over too. Then when I moved to the coast I'd go by myself to the bad part of the city to buy drugs. Partied with strangers. Even drove drunk a couple of times.

Actually it seems like someone else's life looking back, I can't imagine me doing any of that. :oops:

Made explosive devices when 15 or 16. Used fireworks and stuff nicked from chemistry labs at school. 3 oF my friends manufactured a device so large they went in a cold war bunker on the common near a town I went to school ( I wasn't in on that one) and blew it up, apparently it lifted the top off and they were fortunate not to kill themselves by getting well clear. That was in the local press and they all got jailed for a year. Don't know what happened as they were out after I left that school. I'll try and look the story up on the web, it happened 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Made explosive devices when 15 or 16. Used fireworks and stuff nicked from chemistry labs at school. 3 or my friends manufactured a device so large they went in a cold war bunker on the common near a town I went to school ( I wasn't in on that one) and blew it up, apparently it lifted the top off and they were fortunate not to kill themselves by getting well clear. That was in the local press and they all got jailed for a year. Don't know what happened as they were out after I left that school. I'll try and look the story up on the web, it happened 30 years ago.

oh no! A buddy of mine grew up in Mexico and at their elementary school they had a sort of firepit in the yard, one day they found a box of .22 shells and threw them in the fire. Luckily nobody got hurt but he said it scared the crap out of them!

oh no! A buddy of mine grew up in Mexico and at their elementary school they had a sort of firepit in the yard, one day they found a box of .22 shells and threw them in the fire. Luckily nobody got hurt but he said it scared the crap out of them!

Yes, I remember thinking it clever to chuck aerosol cans in bonfires, hearing them click and strain before the bottom usually blew off them, sending the bonfire everwhere, a huge bang and the top of the can shooting off (hopefully upwards) like a rocket with flame tail...von Braun had nothing on us lol..

I've just tried to find a press archive concerning the bomb I mentioned, my sister has seen one of the 3, we'll call him HB, in the last few years because I remember her mentioning the incident a few Christmases back. I no longer live near the place. It was literally the talk of the town when it happened.

My husband thought of one...

Drunk driving...he comes from an extremely small town, only about 300 people when he was growing up, it's a bit more now, but not much, and I come from a semi-small town.

People used to get drivin home by the police, or even followed home by the police, no arrests, no tickets.

People used to get drivin home by the police, or even followed home by the police, no arrests, no tickets.

Wow, thats insane how people can get away with. Here in Sweden you will ofcourse lose your driving license and get a ticket if you drink just a beer or 2. And if you are really drunk then you go to jail.

Wow, thats insane how people can get away with. Here in Sweden you will ofcourse lose your driving license and get a ticket if you drink just a beer or 2. And if you are really drunk then you go to jail.

That's how it used to be, at least in our small towns, not anymore though.

It's the same here as in Sweden now. Well, not all the time, I hear of people getting 4, 5, 10 DUI's and not getting locked up. (but that's for another discussion, lol.)

I came of age in the 70s and was not very much a wild child, I'd doing a better job of having a misspent middle age.

But we could put all our faith in the pill, and tetracycline cured the clap. There's a lot of fellas that while I don't regret, couldn't do it nowadays for safety's sake.

Roomie's nephew just had a surgery for his eyes after experimenting with a bromine bomb last summer. He's probably going to face stuff for the next 20 years or more, this is first in a series. 13 years old. He and a little buddy found a video on youtube, pity they didn't read the comments as well.

It was a different (and perhaps safer world) when I was a teenager, and like others here I used to cycle to nearby towns and hitch-hike all over the country to see friends and girlfriends. I doubt that it would be safe to do that with the number of weirdoes that seem to abound these days.

The kids then would hike off for a weekend of camping or home-made canoe action with no adult supervision - it was considered quite normal for teenagers.

What about zip-slides - I went on some very fast ones that usually ended with bruises.

And typically for a school boy, me and my friends dabbled in explosive devices, the most effective of which (a swimming pool chemical bomb) damaged my right hand bad enough to need stitching up (I carry the scars to this day!)

Did my share of downhill racing too - in a homemade wood and pram-wheel contraption which overturned at speed all too often, leaving 'roasties' (tar rash) on one's body.

By the late teens we had all graduated to motorised entertainment, usually on second hand motor bikes and cars we had souped up to either street or cross-country race, or try circus tricks on...but that's another tale of dumb youth and craziness!

I shot a man in Reno. Just to watch him die.

At least I think I did, I spent a lot of my youth in a bit of a haze.

Last edited:
I wouldn't eat tomatoes pulled off the vine and merely spit-washed before eating. (Even now, thinking back, it makes my mouth water.)

I wouldn't go out of town for 4 days (into another state at that) as my parents did and leave all the doors in the house unlocked (and find nothing amiss when we returned).

From the time I was ... oh... 9 until I was 12 (and then we moved out to the country) we lived in town. About 4 or 5 times during spring/summer, my folks would give me $2, and my friend and I would walk the 3 blocks to the movies for a Sat. matinee - usually a double creature feature. That bit of money would buy tickets (.25 each) to get in, and popcorn, and a big coke, and together we'd buy dumdums or junior mints ....

I wouldn't eat tomatoes pulled off the vine and merely spit-washed before eating. (Even now, thinking back, it makes my mouth water.)

Why not? If you're talking about tomatoes from a home garden, that's about the healthiest thing you can eat. No GMO back then, and likely no chemicals too. That's much better and tastier than the flavourless (but good looking) tomatoes that we buy today at the supermarket.

Back when I was a kid we used to pull carrots straight out of the ground at my grandma's house and eat them raw and unwashed. I'd surely do it again.

I don't eat my own garden unwashed either, although my roomie will. I asked her if I put a clean dish out when it was raining if she would drink the water accumulated.

My mother worked as a migrant picker in her youth, we never grew anything except flowers when I was a kid.

Why not? If you're talking about tomatoes from a home garden, that's about the healthiest thing you can eat. No GMO back then, and likely no chemicals too. That's much better and tastier than the flavourless (but good looking) tomatoes that we buy today at the supermarket.

Back when I was a kid we used to pull carrots straight out of the ground at my grandma's house and eat them raw and unwashed. I'd surely do it again.

My grandparents had a small farm. Ever hear of DDT? And lots and lots of sevin dust.... Mostly manure fertilizer, but farm store stuff, too. Then again, none of that killed me back then, and those tomatoes were damn fine. LOL

Oh. And something else I wouldn't do now that I did when I was younger (just saw an apparel ad beside a news article I was reading that made me think of it). I would never ever wear hip hugger bell-bottom pants again. Yikes! (Ever notice how fashion cycles round and round and always ends up looking like something from the past? Not that getting older has anything to do with that. LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back