What to do when the lights go out...

ksech

Dormant account
Well, I have learned several things in the last few days, some good and some probably should be forgotten forever LOL

Good things...
You can survive without electricity. But not recommended for extended periods of time, especially if it means you also have to go without water and a means of cooking.
If you have buckets you can collect rainwater so you can still go potty (I know, ewwww)
If you have candles, you can still see when the sun goes down.
If you have batteries and a radio you can still keep up on what is going on in the outside world.

Now there is only so much you can do without electricity or water...
You can't vacuum, you can't do laundry, you can't do dishes.:thumbsup:
You also can't shower or wash your hair.:(
You can't watch tv.:(
And you can't play on the internet.:mad:

I live by myself so, singing along to the battery operated radio is no biggie. Although, the cats and dogs were probably trying to figure out what the heck I was saying. The dogs started howling, so I guess my opinion of my "excellent" singing voice is just that :D

My kitten did NOT think that dancing lessons were good entertainment. She won't make it as a contestant in the next kitten chow chow chow competition (my shoulders and back have the claw marks to prove it LOL). And trying to dance with a 95 lb german shepherd just doesn't work, I thought I had two left feet...he has 4!:lolup:

All the windows in my house are clean (thank goodness for windex and paper towels). Not gonna mop the floors until the ground dries up (that may be in June or July of next year, only joking!!!), thinking of painting my floors mud brown (the walls too!)

You can read books, but by candlelight my eyes got tired really easily (although that may be one of those older person issues too). I now don't care if I don't eat peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches for the next year or two.

You can catch up on all of the sleep you thought you had missed out on, but if you are an insomniac this doesn't really work. You end up sitting in the dark doing nothing...

Soooooo, what do you do for entertainment when the lights go out??? (keep it clean!!! :D)

Play alot of solitaire. LOL!

Best purchase we ever made was a gas powered generator. If I can get gasoline, I can at least run my frig, watch TV and have lights. LOL!

Generators are a godsend in the country!! Like Annie said, you can keep the basic fridge and lights on, but a fireplace allows one to cook a few basic meals, like hot dogs, soup and of course, marshmallows!! Oh yeah, if you raise your own meat, you definitely need to keep your freezer going or lose a side of beef and pork , not to mention the many loaves of bread you buy on sale and freeze!!

It is really hard to deal with loss of power because we are so spoiled by having it. Oil lamps and candles are just not nostalgic when you have to use them. And my pets are just happy to wind around my legs and trip me in the dark!

We have a firepit outside so we can always cook (we do it frequently in the summer) and Ray has an acoustic guitar so we can still have music. In the winter it's a LOT more challenging.

EDIT: Also we've got 2 hurricane lamps - they're practically antique but still functional - and Ray has a battery operated shortwave radio. As for the bathroom, we've never been without power and water at the same time so it's never come to that. ;)

Play alot of solitaire. LOL!

Best purchase we ever made was a gas powered generator. If I can get gasoline, I can at least run my frig, watch TV and have lights. LOL!

I have a natural gas powered generator, kicks right on if the power goes out and supplies over half the house with power. Great investment, think it was around 5K.

Technology takes a lot of time away from us. You would find that when you have your PC and TV in working order that the conversations between partners are less.

When the lights go out, I often find that there's so much more time just to talk to your partner / significant other about anything and everything.

Nate

Buy some candles and a bottle of wine, spend an evening with your SO - and you will see how awesome time could be without TV or PC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back