Way OT but .. anyone know of a good wallpaper changer?

maxd

Head of Complaints (PABs), Senior Forum Moderator
Staff member
Like the title says, anyone know of a good wallpaper changer?

Here's my wishlist:
  • runs under WinXP.
  • freeware is ideal. :thumbsup:
  • reasonably contemporary (under current, or recent, development); trying to avoid orphans and abandon-ware.
  • uses JPG, PNG, GIF, BNP etc from a user-specified folder (recursively would be nice).
  • randomizes.
  • change at startup and then exit would be great!
  • titles, preferably the file's name, would be a bonus.
  • resize etc is open for debate.
  • scheduled changing is nice but not required.
  • runs per user (other users on the cmpt can disable or ignore it).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I'll post back here with my results (suitable candidates and soforth).

Cheers,
Max your friendly BitchMeister

Here's my wishlist:
  • runs under WinXP.
  • reasonably contemporary (under current, or recent, development); trying to avoid orphans and abandon-ware.
  • uses JPG, PNG, GIF, BNP etc from a user-specified folder (recursively would be nice).
  • randomizes.

Cheers,

Here's one:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

and the direct site is:

They have Vista listed as a supported OS, so apparently it's still being maintained.

* PURE freeware! No nag screens, no addware, no commercials, no spyware.
* Only 2MB (few wallpapers included). No need for a fast computer. It wont eat your computers memory.
* System independent. It will install NO single file (DLL, ActiveX, updates, registry) in you operating system.
* Skinable. Winamp style interface. Really easy to learn how to use it.
* Advanced playlist editor.
* Fully customizable.
* Support for BMP, GIF, PNG, JPEG/JPG, EMF/WMF.
* Embedded screen saver

<3 Google :)

Hi Max,

I've used Webshots for years and absolutely love it. You can select 5 new wallpapers a day for free or unlimited use if you purchase a subscription which is very cheap. The program that handles the wallpaper offers multiple options that will allow it to rotate your wallpaper or not, is easy to see the existing wallpapers downloaded, filed, etc. so you can select and set the wallpaper of your choice with one click. The program has never given me any problems dating back to Win98 up to my XP.

Hey guys, many thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated:

@winbig: you know, I think I had looked at Bionix Wallpaper Changer a few years ago ... ah yes, I remember now. It's a good little app but the freeware version is limited to a relatively small number of images. Of course they're trying to get you to cough up for the non-limited one. Still though, it's a good reminder of a respectable app. Cheers!

@littlebit: Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at this a year or so ago but it's aiming in a different direction than I had in mind. My thing is a personal collection of images, 3200+ actually, that I want to see. Webshots is more web-facing than I really need or want.

@vegetagirl2008: You know what? I'm using that one, WallpaperChanger.de, right now. :) Have been for a couple weeks. It's not bad. A little under-featured compared to contemporary offerings (I think it's no longer in active development) but not at all bad for a basic, here-you-go proggy. Thanks for taking the time to suggest it. :thumbsup:

Here's my wishlist:
  • runs under WinXP.
  • randomizes.
  • runs per user (other users on the cmpt can disable or ignore it).

Cheers,

Absolutely! My guy is fabulous! His name is Michael Cain and he's a pro. As far as running, I'm sure you could ask. He's always arrived in proper attire but again, he's somewhat flexible so if you want him to change, just ask him! Regrettably, he charges a fee always so freeware is probably not possible. Oh ya, he's always been the same size, but again, ask him about resizing (how would you do that?) :eek:

:D

Ah, so far I'm still using WallpaperChanger.de. It isn't ideal but it's not terrible either so ... there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back