CM Announcement Upcoming Social Groups - need your input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay seen a couple of new groups being set up so far, I do not think any new groups should be set to private.

So am i right in thinking if i set up a new Group and set it to private then it is only me that can allow any members to join that group.
you effectively become the moderator of said group

So, I dopped a few in that are CM classic standards to save Bryan a bit of leg work -
Movies, TV, Oh Canada and general after-hours banter, 2 personal nerd groups I know other members dig (anime/manga and comics) and 2 LGBT groups, one that is public for industry discussions and one private for members. Everything is set to public but for the cmlgbt2 which requires a request
Cheers

Got these on my forum and they work well. My community is about traveling in Asia, the most popular social groups are location-based so people can meet up. I think a "Barstool Banter" subforum would go well on here. Basically, topics guys and gals talk about while having a beer or drink. It can include the best places to get affordable beers to local darts leagues and everything in between.

Hope this is useful and I'm sure it will do well.

Football? or just Feyenoord? :)

PFFT!! No one responded to my Ashes/Cricket comment, doubt they care about Feyenoord......

I have seen a whole lot of really great idea's. Me for one I have been living in a really strange and magical world and miss the old problem's. Music,Photography,Pet's, More On Online Gaming,and many more! I think for me it would be seeing pics and or stories of people's lives outside of the usual forum posting's? By this I mean shot's of the sea or mountains with maybe a life story to go along? Sharing part's of our histories and giving advice only when ask! I'm really sorry folk's but I have been under the weather lately. Hope to get free soon thou! Peace Out! Out Of The Mist! shewoff

Some words of advice regarding the groups based on experience. My site is moderated quite well and we have our rules which is a strict no flame policy. We (myself and the team) are not Nazi-like and generally cut people slack in this regard but the hook comes fast for those that cross the line.

With that said, the social groups act as basically forums within the entirety of the community. One thing that became apparent fast was some main forum rules had to be added. Folks tend to carry over their conversations (mostly disagreements) from the groups into the main community. This is fine but infesting the community with bad blood from a group chat is not welcome.

We made the decision of letting each person decide on their own rules. Our only rule was no illegal activities or discussions. Also, the groups are not moderated by the team so a caveat needs to state this accordingly. I'm sure the last thing you want is an increased workload for your team behind the scenes.

It's a great idea and certainly the way to go moving forward. Loads of fun promotional activities can be done to make things more interesting for all.

The software I have been using for 10 years is IP Board. I'm no longer happy with but it is fast, however, lacks the newer more advanced features. I say this because I had to make modifications and plugins to accommodate the "social groups". I know XenForo has a lot of add ons and plugins to make things robust and most of all, run smooth.

I don't know the RAM this board software chews up but I know IP Board is a resource hog especially as more "bells and whistles" are added. Hope this information is useful.

This may not be the spot for this ?
(Or you may already have something addressing this ?)
Somewhere where unfortunate citizens of wowser countries, that do not allow online gambling, can share advice.
One area within this that needs covering - is how do we (I am in Australia) make payment, and particularly deposit our winnings/withdrawals.
I suspect that Canada would be similar to Australia, as in the past when I was importing supplements, Canada and Australia were way too restrictive.
Often it would be supplements that people can buy over the counter in US.

I have seen a whole lot of really great idea's. Me for one I have been living in a really strange and magical world and miss the old problem's. Music,Photography,Pet's, More On Online Gaming,and many more! I think for me it would be seeing pics and or stories of people's lives outside of the usual forum posting's? By this I mean shot's of the sea or mountains with maybe a life story to go along? Sharing part's of our histories and giving advice only when ask! I'm really sorry folk's but I have been under the weather lately. Hope to get free soon thou! Peace Out! Out Of The Mist! shewoff

Living vicariously by reading other like-minded people's experiences is great therapy.

This is what happened in my community regarding the sharing of personal experiences. Although this does happen in the main forum area with trip reports (travel forum) or reviews along with introductions it's not quite as detailed or revealing.

The one huge drawback was and is trolls or likewise, people will ill intentions. There are certain individuals who read these type topics using the information in other threads on the forum to get under somebody's skin. Even worse they are brought into the real world and use against the poster. The biggest problem nowadays is people posting things on Facebook or other platforms on hate missions.

This is why the best advice when making these subforums is to have a vetting process if you feel the information is sensitive or only for trusted individuals. This is easily done by setting permissions when initially setting it up. Some people do things arbitrary while others use a nomination system. Either way, it provides more filtered viewers. Food for thought.

Certain types of say frivolous activities would not be of much concern and could be public to entice more members. Topics of a personal nature fall under the "protected" permission set with no access for search engines (bots) either.

Ultimately, the social subforums add both additional content value and a whole other dimension to the entire forum experience. From a statistical standpoint, the average visitor daily time on the site increased by 3 minutes to about 14 minutes with an increase in page views of about 15-20 percent.

As I always say on my forum, "This is a collaboration of thousands of individuals spanning a decade without which this forum would be nothing." From the looks of it, I believe the same can be said here too.

Sorry for the rambling and I may be overstepping my boundaries but this is first-hand experience that may be useful I hope.

Yes, I too had thought of opening a Social Group and making it private to segregate other members

Perhaps give it a snazzy modern Social Media-esque name too, like InstaTwit

I thought Imadick was pretty good

This may not be the spot for this ?
(Or you may already have something addressing this ?)
Somewhere where unfortunate citizens of wowser countries, that do not allow online gambling, can share advice.
One area within this that needs covering - is how do we (I am in Australia) make payment, and particularly deposit our winnings/withdrawals...
Yeah - the only problem with this is that then the regulators will join those groups to find out what's what. They have civilian accounts here, and lurk quite often I am sure :D

Ok - I think we're done here - the Groups have been launched and many of your suggestions have been acted upon. If you have the membership level and want to start your own group - knock yerself out :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back