THE PREAKNESS STAKES...

mrracetrack

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Rematch in store for Preakness

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The top three choices from the Kentucky Derby, including runaway winner Barbaro, all came out of the race well and will move on to the second leg of the Triple Crown, the Preakness Stakes on May 20 at Pimlico, their respective trainers said Sunday morning at Churchill Downs.
Barbaro, who was the second choice, "looks bright," his trainer, Michael Matz, said Sunday morning.

Barbaro was scheduled to go to Matz's barn at the Fair Hill training center in Maryland on Sunday afternoon. Matz said he would likely come to Pimlico a couple of days before the Preakness.

Brother Derek, who finished in a dead-heat for fourth after a wide trip, is also going to the Preakness, as is Sweetnorthernsaint, who went off as the favorite and finished seventh after a deceptively tough trip.

Dan Hendricks, the trainer of Brother Derek, said the colt would remain at Churchill Downs until May 17, when he would fly to Baltimore. Brother Derek lost his right front shoe in the race. "It's one of the things that probably cost us second," Hendricks said. "My hat's off to the winner."

Michael Trombetta, the trainer of Sweetnorthernsaint, said Sweetnorthernsaint would return on Monday to Laurel, where he is based. He said Sweetnorthernsaint would come to Pimlico either on race day, or a few days earlier if Trombetta decides to give him a work over the Pimlico track. Sweetnorthernsaint was bumped solidly at the start, made a prolonged, mid-race move to enter contention, then understandably flattened out late. "He passed a lot of horses," Trombetta said.

Barbaro, along with Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint, all were grazing outside Churchill's Barn 42 on Sunday morning and appeared in good condition.

Lawyer Ron, who finished 12th in the Derby, is also likely to go to the Preakness.

Jazil, who finished in a deadheat with Brother Derek for fourth, is possible for the Preakness, according to Pimlico publicist Mike Gathagan. Others expected for the Preakness are Like Now, Bernardini, and Simon Pure, all of whom skipped the Derby.

Bluegrass Cat, who was second in the Derby, and Steppenwolfer, who was third, will await the June 10 Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the Triple Crown, their trainers said Sunday.

The DRF has free PP online now for Preakness probables and possibles.

They list the following:

Barbaro (Derby winner)
Brother Derek (4th DH Ky Derby)
Sweetnorthernsaint (7th Ky Derby)
Lawyer Ron (12th Ky Derby)
Bob and John (17th Ky Derby)
Like Now (2nd Lexington)
Bernardini (Withers winner)
Simon Pure (4th Ark Derby)
High Finance (Allowance winner)

Preakness Updates... (from 5-10-06)

Lawyer Ron probably out of Preakness

Arkansas Derby (G2) winner Lawyer Ron will probably miss the Preakness Stakes (G1) on May 20 after the detection of inflammation in his right hind ankle.

The Langfuhr colt finished 12th in the Kentucky Derby (G1) on May 6 at Churchill Downs.

Trainer Bob Holthus said he was awaiting consultation from a few veterinarians before a final decision is made.

"We should know something [Wednesday]," Holthus said. "He's just got a couple little issues and we don't know if we should give him a little time or if it would damage him if we went ahead and ran him again."

Lawyer Ron lost on dirt for the first time in his career in the Derby, finishing 21 lengths behind Barbaro. Audrey Haisfield's Stonewall Farm Stallions purchased a majority interest in the colt on May 4 from the estate of James Hines Jr.

At this point, Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint are the only beaten foes from the Derby who are considered probable opposition for Barbaro in the Preakness.

The trainers of both runners believe a smaller field will make the Preakness a fairer test than the Derby, which featured 20 starters.

"I don't want to insinuate that the horses that beat us aren't as good but I feel it will be a truer race," said Dan Hendricks, the trainer of Brother Derek. "I will not be going nine-wide in the stretch and have the adversity that you have in a 20-horse field. Same goes for Sweetnorthernsaint which makes for a great race."

"Right now we are all gunning for Mike Matz's horse," said Mike Trombetta, who trains Sweetnorthernsaint. "I certainly relish the opportunity to not have so much traffic and hopefully get a fairer shake at this thing. Neither Brother Derek nor us got the best of shakes Saturday. I'm sure we both would love another crack at it."

The possible new shooters include Withers Stakes (G3) winner Bernardini, Gotham Stakes (G3) winner Like Now, allowance winner High Finance, and Simon Pure, who finished fourth in the Arkansas Derby (G2).

Triple Crown trail: Barbaro returns to training at Fair Hill

Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Barbaro resumed training at Fair Hill Training Center on Wednesday with two jogs alongside trainer Michael Matz on a pony.
In the Preakness Stakes (G1) on May 20 at Pimlico Race Course, the Dynaformer colt will attempt to become the seventh horse in the last ten years to sweep the first two legs of the Triple Crown.

"He looks like he came out of the race well," Matz said. "I think he still has something left in the tank."

Illinois Derby (G2) winner Sweetnorthernsaint jogged one mile at Laurel Park in his first trip to the racetrack since finishing seventh in the Derby. The Sweetsouthernsaint gelding will ship over to Pimlico the morning of the Preakness.

"He was pretty bright and very willing," trainer Michael Trombetta said. "It looked like he was glad to get back out and is comfortable to be home."

Trainer Bob Holthus planned to examine Arkansas Derby (G2) winner Lawyer Ron again before a final decision is made on the colt's status for the Preakness. The Langfuhr colt came out of his 12th-place finish in the Derby with inflammation in his right hind ankle.

Santa Anita Derby (G1) winner Brother Derek will return to the track at Churchill Downs on Friday and ship to Pimlico on May 17.

"He doesn't need much work," trainer Dan Hendricks said. "Knowing a 20-horse field is going to be in the Derby you know there is a chance you'll be bounced around that could knock you out of the Preakness. I always thought the Preakness set up better with the smaller field, usually ten or 12 horses. The sharper turns at Pimlico makes it a different race and one suited to our style. But you cannot pass the Derbyit is our signature race in our business. I am glad we didn't because I learned a lot about the horse that day."

Withers Stakes (G3) winner Bernardini breezed five furlongs in 1:01.80 on Wednesday at Belmont Park in a tuneup for the Preakness. The A.P. Indy colt galloped out six furlongs in 1:13.80.

"It was an excellent move," said trainer Tom Albertrani. "He ran nicely entering the stretch and picked it up in the lane."

Racing Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito added Hemingway's Key to the list of Preakness candidates. The Notebook colt finished eighth in the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (G2) on April 22 in his most recent start for George Steinbrenner's Kinsman Stable. Zito entered Hemingway's Key in the Kentucky Derby, but he was left out of the full field because of insufficient graded stakes earnings.

Simon Pure, fourth in the Arkansas Derby, was ruled out of consideration for the Preakness.

Racing Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the Northern Dancer Stakes (G3) on June 17 at Churchill is among the options for the Silver Deputy colt.

"I think I'm going to pass," said Lukas. "There are some opportunities here, and I looked at the field and I just don't know that I'm ready to take those horses on at this point."

Lukas cited Barbaro's performance in the Derby as one reason for looking elsewhere with Simon Pure.

"I think he should scare a few horses away, me included," said Lukas. "I thought he did that very, very professionally and very easily. He clearly was the best horse and it's not always the best horse that wins the Kentucky Derby. But in this case I think he was clearly the best horse. Obviously, some of the horses behind him had excuses, but they're going to have to step up to beat this horse."

Gotham Stakes (G3) winner Like Now and recent Belmont allowance winner High Finance are also under consideration for the Preakness.

Trainer Bob Baffert plans to decide this weekend whether to start Bob and John and/or Point Determined in the Preakness. Both finished unplaced in the Derby. Baffert said Snow Chief Stakes winner Da Stoops is not a candidate for the Preakness.

With regards to Lawyer Ron, sorta makes you wonder if they knew about that inflammation prior to the Derby, although I know all the horses are checked over before the race by the track vet. Just seems awfully funny that they decided to sell a majority share just days before the big race. Makes you wonder what else may be wrong with the horse?

Small Preakness Field Expected...

Barbaro expected to face small field in Preakness Stakes

Lael Stable's Barbaro, who dominated the Kentucky Derby (G1) with one of the fastest final-quarter mile times in the 132-year history of the race, will face what appears to be a small number of opponents when he takes the next step on the Triple Crown trail in the Preakness Stakes (G1) on May 20 at Pimlico Race Course.

An approximate field of eight is expected for the 1 3/16-mile Preakness, including Barbaro, beaten Derby favorite Sweetnorthernsaint, Santa Anita Derby (G1) winner Brother Derek. Others expected are Gotham Stakes (G3) winner Like Now, Withers Stakes (G3) winner Bernardini, Hemingway's Key, Lewis Michael, and perhaps either Bob and John or Point Determined from trainer Bob Baffert's barn.

Whether more contenders come out of the woodwork remains to be seen, but the fact that Barbaro came home in :24.34 for his final quarter and won the Derby by 6 1/2 lengths has obviously scared off some of his 19 beaten opponents from the Derby.

Barbaro also has the benefit of training at his home base in the two-week period between the Derby and Preakness and all reports indicate that the Dynaformer colt settled in nicely after shipping from Louisville to the Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Maryland.

"It's a lot quieter here than it is at Churchill Downs," trainer Michael Matz said. "He was able to train and go out and graze for an hour and he's back in his own stall and it's very quiet now. If there is any doubt about a horse recovering from a race, the peace and quiet I'm sure will help him. It certainly has its advantages."

Barbaro is not scheduled to work between the Derby and the Preakness, a move many trainers have utilized over the years, but Matz could blow him out an eighth through the stretch of the Fair Hill track early next week. Barbaro is also not expected on the Pimlico grounds until two days or the day before the race.

"Our plans are day to day, depending on the weather," Matz said. "We don't have anything special planned for him at this time."

Re: Lawyer Ron...

Pinababy69 said:
With regards to Lawyer Ron, sorta makes you wonder if they knew about that inflammation prior to the Derby, although I know all the horses are checked over before the race by the track vet. Just seems awfully funny that they decided to sell a majority share just days before the big race. Makes you wonder what else may be wrong with the horse?

Lawyer Ron to undergo bone chip surgery Friday

Arkansas Derby (G2) winner Lawyer Ron will miss the Preakness Stakes (G1) on May 20 and undergo surgery to remove a chip from his right hind ankle, trainer Bob Holthus said on Thursday morning.

Equine surgeon Larry Bramlage will perform the procedure on Friday at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington.

Lawyer Ron will miss about 30 days of training.

"It's nothing major," Holthus said. "He's just got a little chip."

The injury was discovered after Lawyer Ron finished 12th in the Kentucky Derby (G1) on May 6 at Churchill Downs, which snapped a six-race win streak that included the Risen Star (G3), Southwest, and Rebel (G3) Stakes and Arkansas Derby.

Audrey Haisfield's Stonewall Farm Stallions purchased an 80% interest in Lawyer Ron for an undisclosed amount from the estate of owner-breeder James Hines Jr. on May 4.

I'll bet the new "80% owners" are NOT thrilled with this... :eek:

POST POSITIONS DRAWN

Contenders

1 LIKE NOW Kiaran McLaughlin Garrett Gomez 12-1

2 PLATINUM COUPLE Joseph Lostritto Jose Espinoza 50-1

3 HEMINGWAY'S KEY Nick Zito Jeremy Rose 30-1

4 GREELEY'S LEGACY George Weaver Richard Migliore 20-1

5 BROTHER DEREK Dan Hendricks Alex Solis 3-1

6 BARBARO Michael Matz Edgar Prado 1-1

7 SWEETNORTHERNSAINT Michael Trombetta Kent Desormeaux 4-1

8 BERNARDINI Thomas Albertrani Javier Castellano 8-1

9 DIABOLICAL Steve Klesaris Ramon Dominguez 30-1

Preakness Update

Barbaro set to answer more questions in Preakness

A small field is shaping up for the 131st running of the Preakness Stakes (G1) on Saturday at Pimlico Race Course, leaving the race with two major questions: Can Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Barbaro continue his brilliance and stay undefeated, and can Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint, the only remaining beaten rivals from the Derby, take advantage of cleaner trips to turn the tables?

Barbaro enjoyed a beautiful trip in the Kentucky Derby, thanks in part to another perfectly executed ride from Edgar Prado but mainly due to the fact that the Dynaformer colt is a superior athlete with the ability to put himself in position to win.

In each of his six career starts Barbaro has never looked vulnerable, always in the perfect spot, always ready to make his run. He does not look vulnerable in the 1 3/16-mile Preakness, either.

The same cannot be said for Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint, his two main rivals in the Preakness who are hoping to turn the tables at Pimlico.

Brother Derek finished fourth and Sweetnorthernsaint finished seventh in the Derby. A debate on which got a worse trip in the Derby could go on all night, with Brother Derek parked extremely wide and Sweetnorthernsaint bouncing around and being shut off on the inside.

Sweetnorthernsaint was very dominant in his three starts leading up to the biggest test of his career in the Gotham Stakes (G3) on March 18 at Aqueduct, winning a maiden claiming race by 16 lengths at Laurel in late December only to be disqualified, winning a maiden special weight race by 7 lengths in early January at Aqueduct, and then posting a ten-length win in the Miracle Wood Stakes at Laurel Park in early February.

Sweetnorthernsaint was unlucky in the Gotham when he drew post ten in the field of ten, a draw that would only leave a short run to the first turn on Aqueduct's inner dirt track. He wound up chasing the early speed of Like Now and Keyed Entry running in the three path all the way around before finishing a game but non-threatening third behind those same two rivals.

Brother Derek has also handled things quite well when they go his way, as evidenced by his four consecutive victories in Southern California leading up to the Kentucky Derby. Those four wins came against a combined 21 opponents, however.

There is no room to debate the fact that Brother Derek was compromised by the No. 18 post in the Kentucky Derby, but the fact remains that the only other time he faced a big field outside of California he was defeated.

Fresh off a sharp front-running win in the Norfolk Stakes (G2) at Santa Anita Park, Brother Derek came to Belmont Park for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) as an outsider and was dismissed at 56.75-to-1. He outran his odds that day, finishing a credible fourth behind eventual champion Stevie Wonderboy, Grade 2 winner Henny Hughes, and two-time Grade 1 winner First Samurai, but for all intents and purposes was in another race that afternoon.

The way the Preakness is shaping upwith the small field, the speed-favoring nature of Pimlico's main track, and so onfigures to help Sweetnorthernsaint and Brother Derek. The only problem is their main opponent is Barbaro, who creates his own luck and makes things go his way.

I hope Barbaro wins too.

I look forward to seeing how he handles Brother Derek without the traffic problems. I think Barbaro will draw off again.

Of the newcomers, Bernardini and Like Now are the most interesting to me.
-Bernardini because of the speed figures and the Withers win in just his third outing.
-Like Now because he was second to Showing Up in the Lexington and won the Gotham against Sweetnorthernsaint. But they say Barbaro's connections are definitely not going to let him get an easy lead and control the pace (blew out a quarter mile workout yesterday).

My Preakness Selections...

soflat mentioned LIKE NOW...

I posted this about LIKE NOW back on April 24th...

The final prep race that means anything was run yesterday, the Coolmore Lexington. A horse named Showing Up won it by about a length. It wasn't an easy win, but it was fairly impressive. He didn't have the easiest trip, he was stuck down along the inside for a good portion of the race, and then had to be taken out for the stretch run. Have a look MrR, let me know what you think.

I watched the replay 3 times (thanks for providing the link again, Pina )
and while it certainly was an impressive win by Showing Up, especially the move from the rail to the far outside into the stretch, I was more impressed with the effort on Like Now.

Like Now was pressured every step of the race, put away all challenges other than Showing Up, and was actually coming on again close to the wire!

Like Now, who was on the graded stakes earnings bubble, was also assured of a spot in the Derby with his $65,000 paycheck, but unfortunately, he probably will not race in the Derby, and it is still questionable if Showing Up will, either.

Here is what Like Now's trainer had to say:

Quote:
"Unfortunately he got into a bit of a speed duel with [Fast Parade]. Take [Fast Parade] out and I think we could have won. But he ran a huge race and fought hard. We'll talk to the owner [John Dillon], but I think we'll probably look at the Preakness [Stakes (G1)]. It's a little easier spot. He's a gelding, and we want to have some fun with him this year. The Derby is a little too soon to run back."

I will go with LIKE NOW to upset BARBARO in the Preakness.

BARBARO will be the overwhelming favorite (probably 6-5 or lower) and although he deserves the role as favorite, and has a great chance of winning this race... there is no value from a betting standpoint.

At the morning line odds of 12-1 (which may drop a bit)... LIKE NOW offers value as a "live" price. Pimlico is a speed track, which favors front runners... and LIKE NOW should be on the lead early. If he gets away without being pressured for the first 6 furlongs... he could be very game and tough to catch.

I will also give my Derby selection, SWEETNORTHERNSAINT a good shot to win if LIKE NOW falters.

I will go with a 3 horse exacta box of LIKE NOW/ SWEETNORTHERNSAINT/BROTHER DEREK... a $3 box (total $18) and $12 to WIN on LIKE NOW... ($30 total invested)

How good is BARBARO? We'll know a bit after 6pm Saturday evening. ;)

Well, I really am hoping that Barbaro wins the race. I want to at least have the hope of a Triple Crown winner alive when the Belmont rolls around. But.....if I have to take one horse that I would bet (cause I wouldn't bet Barbaro at 2-1 or lower), I would probably go with Bernardini. Relative newcomer, excellent breeding, decent price...worth a shot.

And MrR, that's gonna be my pick at Sucks as well, on my way to post my winning entry, lol.

Go Barbaro!!

I am taking Barbaro to win, exactas with Like Now and Bernardini over Barbaro, and one trifecta Brother Derek,Barbaro,Like Now.

I think Barbaro will take the Triple crown. Not that impressed with Brother Derek even though he did have a tough trip in the Derby.

I don't know how others feel about it, but I can't even talk about the race right now.

For those who don't know, or didn't watch, Barbaro suffered a definite career-ending injury to his rear right leg. Waiting to hear if it's bad enough that he has to be put down. MrR knows more of the details, I'm way too upset.

BARBARO INJURY UPDATE

I will update this as soon as further information becomes available

Barbaro sustains 'significant injury' as Bernardini wins Preakness

Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Barbaro went from being a Triple Crown contender to battling for his life 100 yards into the Preakness Stakes (G1) on Saturday at Pimlico Race Course, putting a pall over Bernardini's victory.

Barbaro, whose record-setting margin of victory in the Derby had racing fans thinking the 28-year Triple Crown drought might be over, took a bad step less than one furlong into the 1 3/16-mile Preakness, breaking the bone above his right hind ankle and seriously breaking the bone below his right hind ankle.

"There are some major hurdles to clear," attending veterinarian Dr. Larry Bramlage said. "This is a significant injury. There are at least a couple of aspects that are very life threatening for him. His career is over; this will be it for him as a racehorse. But under the best of circumstances, we are looking to try to save him as a stallion."

Bramlage said there is a two-pronged problem with this type of injury—the level of damage to the blood supply and keeping the horse off the leg while it recovers. Horses have two small arteries supplying blood to the lower leg, he said.

"If there is significant danger to the blood supply to the lower limb, that's the one you worry about the most as far as this being a life-threatening injury," Bramlage said. "But equally as important is that that's an injury that you or I would be put in bed for for six weeks until allowed to walk on it, and that's impossible to do with a horse, so it's going to take some sort of major stabilizing surgery."

Barbaro broke through the starting gate prior to the Preakness, but Bramlage said the injury would not have happened at that time.

"[Jockey Edgar Prado] probably knew, before the horse knew, that something was wrong," Bramlage said.

Prado said he heard the ankle break about 100 yards into the race and he pulled him up, getting Barbaro to finally stop just past the finish line less than a quarter of a mile into the race.

"When he went to the gate he was feeling super," Prado said. "I felt like he was in the best condition for this race. He actually tried to buck me off a couple of times. He was feeling that good."

Jockey Alex Solis, who was aboard Brother Derek, said he heard a crack early in the race and saw Prado pull the Dynaformer colt up.

"We didn't expect this," said Gretchen Jackson, who along with her husband Roy own Barbaro. "You can expect being beaten. You don't think about this. …We are hoping that they will operate on him tomorrow."

Michael Matz was traveling with Barbaro. As she was leaving the racetrack Dorothy Matz, his wife, said "Barbaro reacted like the true champion he is, and hopefully he'll get the best care possible and he'll be all right."

The injury overshadowed the effort of Darley Stable's Bernardini, and left the Pimlico record crowd of 118,402 in a hush.

UPDATE...

Barbaro transported to equine facility

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was transported to the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center following his injury Saturday in the Preakness in Baltimore.

The 3-year-old stumbled a few hundred yards after leaving the starting gate at Pimlico and was pulled up by jockey Edgar Prado. Barbaro was diagnosed with a fracture above and below his right hind ankle.

Penn is renowned for its specialized care, especially on animals needing complicated surgery on bone injuries. Veterinarians at the Center first started performing arthroscopic surgery on horses in the early 1980s.

Penn also developed a pool-recovery system that allows a horse to recover from surgery without injuring itself.

The New Bolton Center treats horses from throughout the mid-Atlantic region, and has treated some from as far away as Florida and Canada.

Penn acquired the Chester County, Pa., farm in 1952 and a large animal clinic was opened at the New Bolton Center in 1964.

Last edited:
Derby Winner Barbaro Undergoes Surgery
By RICHARD ROSENBLATT , 05.21.2006, 01:18 PM

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro went into surgery Sunday to determine the extent of "life-threatening injuries" after the colt broke three bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes.

The surgery was being performed by Dr. Dean Richardson at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals. He said the operation could take several hours.

Richardson, the chief of surgery for the center, said the injuries were "very, very serious," and that he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

"You do not see this severe injury frequently because the fact is most horses that suffer this typically are put down on the race track," Richardson said. "This is rare."

"It's about as bad as it could be," he added. "The main thing going for the horse is a report that his skin was not broken at the time of injury. It's a testament to the care given to the team of doctors on the track and (jockey) Mr. Prado on the racetrack."

Richardson said Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint, the ankle, was dislocated.

"The aspects of the surgery will be dictated slightly by what we find," Richardson said. "But the bottom line is we will attempt to perform a fusion of that joint and to stabilize it and make it comfortable enough for him to walk on."

So I guess we should know within a few hours if he has any chance at all of survival. It sounds pretty grim, but I guess there's always hope. I give credit to the owners here for giving this horse a chance anyway, I don't think that all would.

More on BARBARO

Corinne Sweeney, a veterinarian and the executive hospital director, said the horse was still in surgery about five hours after it began but that the procedure was near completion. She didn't give any other details on the horse's condition.

Kentucky Derby Winner Barbaro Recovering From Surgery... :thumbsup:

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, wearing a cast up to his knee, was recovering tonight at the University of Pennsylvania's George D. Widener Hospital after surgery to repair three broken bones in his leg.

``He was walking on his own,'' Chief Surgeon Dean Richardson said after more than four hours of surgery at the Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, hospital.

Trainer Michael Matz said the three-year-old colt walked into his stall and starting eating hay.

That is good news. The injury sounds very severe and they say it is still basically a coin toss if it works out for him. So anyways, I hope the news stays good.

I'm pretty much speechless. It was so disappointing and reminds of me when Holy Bull broke down at Gulfstream Park and how so many people went from excitement to sadness and worry in an instant.

BARBARO RECOVERING...

UPDATE... Barbaro 'Comfortable' After Day of Surgery...

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro underwent more than five hours of surgery Sunday to repair three broken bones in his right rear leg and afterward "practically jogged back to the stall," the colt's surgeon said.

At this moment "he is extremely comfortable in the leg," said Dr. Dean Richardson, who stressed before the marathon procedure that he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes. His surgery began around 1 p.m. Sunday at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals.

Although the operation was successful, Richardson warned that Barbaro was far from home free. He said it was still "a coin toss" that the strapping 3-year-old colt would be able to survive what had been termed catastrophic injuries.

"I feel much more comfortable now," trainer Michael Matz said afterward. "I feel at least he has a chance."

Unbeaten and a serious contender for the Triple Crown, Barbaro broke down Saturday only a few hundred yards into the 1 3-16-mile Preakness. The record crowd of 118,402 watched in shock as Barbaro veered sideways, his right leg flaring out grotesquely. Jockey Edgar Prado pulled the powerful colt to a halt, jumped off and awaited medical assistance.

Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint - the ankle - was dislocated.

Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."

The bones were put in place to fuse the joint by inserting a plate and 23 screws to repair damage so severe that most horses would not be able to survive it.

When he came out of surgery, Barbaro was lifted by sling and placed on a raft in a pool so he could calmly awake from the anesthetic. When he went back to his stall, he was wearing a cast from just below the hock to the hoof.

"He's a real genuine athlete, there's no doubt about it," Richardson said. "Even the way he woke up from anesthesia, he was very much the athlete waking up from general anesthesia."

Matz, who attended the briefing with Richardson, looked fatigued, but relieved.

"From the last time I saw him to now was a big relief," Matz said. "They did an excellent job. It's just an amazing thing to see him walk in like that."

Richardson again stressed that surgery was just the first step on a long road to recovery.

"Getting the horse up is a big step, but it is not the last step by any means," he said. "Horses with this type of injury are very, very susceptible to lots of other problems, including infection at the site."

Horses are often euthanized after serious leg injuries because circulation problems and deadly disease can arise if they are unable to distribute weight on all fours.

Richardson said he expects Barbaro to remain at the center for several weeks, but "it wouldn't surprise me if he's here much longer than that."

Now that picture is priceless. :D

I know he's not out of the woods, and there are a thousand things that can go wrong, but it's encouraging. And he looks like he's being an ideal patient. Thanks MrR!

Best recovery wishes for Barbaro...

It was really a saddening day, but hope is looking up for Barbaro's recovery. I stayed at home and bet online that day, but my father went to the Preakness (we live within 5 miles of Pimlico), and he said that as crowded as it was that day, complete silence fell over the entire crowd when Barbaro was pulled up and everyone saw something was wrong. I fell asleep right before the race but when I woke up to check the results and saw what happened, tears fell from my eyes. I hope the best of recovery for Barbaro.

Just a note:
The $1 superfecta paid $11,151.20.
If one boxed all 9 horses for a superfecta, the ticket cost would have been $3,024 (for a one dollar wager).

Thus, profit STILL of $8,127.20!!

Monday May 22nd Update...

Despite Surgery, Barbaro's Only 50-50

Barbaro was on his feet Monday in his 12-by-12 stall, and that's where he'll be for the next few days, the next few weeks and probably the next few months.

With a fiberglass cast on his right hind leg and a staff of veterinarians keeping a 24-hour watch, standing around is the best thing - the only thing - the stricken Kentucky Derby winner can do.

A day after surgeons spent more than five hours pinning together the leg bones he shattered in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, the 3-year-old was adjusting to his new life as a rehab patient.

"He got through the night very well, day one and into day two is going as well as expected," said Dr. Corinne Sweeney, executive hospital director at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. "He is standing on the leg, and with the appropriate amount of weight on it."

Despite the good initial reports, doctors have guardedly given Barbaro a 50-50 chance for survival.

"He's doing all the things a horse should do, including eating and nickering at the mares near him," Dr. Dean Richardson, who performed the five-plus hour surgery with a team of assistants, said on the hospital's Web site. "While we are optimistic, we remain cautious about his prognosis and are watching for signs of infection at the surgical site, laminitis and other possible aftereffects of the surgery."

Laminitis is an often-fatal disease sometimes brought on by uneven weight balance.

The colt, accustomed to strong early morning gallops at the Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Md., is far, far removed from that routine. His daily regiment now consists of trying to stand comfortably and keeping his weight evenly distributed.

Barbaro will spend his long recovery in the intensive care unit of this 650-acre center in the heart of Pennsylvania horse country.

So far, his appetite has been fine and his vital signs are good, Sweeney said.

Barbaro was the odds-on favorite to win the Preakness and set up a Triple Crown try in the Belmont Stakes. But a few hundred yards out of the starting gate, he took a bad step, his leg flared out grotesquely and he veered sideways before jockey Edgar Prado pulled the powerful colt to a halt.

Later that night he was vanned to New Bolton and surgery lasted most of the afternoon on Sunday.

"He looked pretty bright, I guess you can't ask for anything more," said trainer Michael Matz, who guided Barbaro to an undefeated record before the Preakness.

"I'm hoping for the best, I'm very optimistic. It's going to be a long time and we just have to take it day by day and keep our fingers crossed."

Barbaro has been receiving antibiotics and pain medication, and is able to move around - or even lay down - in his stall if he chooses.

"For this to be successful, the horse has to be able to stand during the healing stage," Sweeney said. "Lying down also would be advantageous to healing."

Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint - the ankle - was dislocated.

Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."

The bones were put in place to fuse the joint by inserting a plate and 23 screws to repair damage so severe that most horses wouldn't have survived it.

Horses are often euthanized after serious leg injuries because circulation problems and deadly diseases can arise if they are unable to distribute weight on all fours. Also, money is a factor.

For extensive surgery and recovery, it could cost "tens of thousands of dollars," Richardson said. Many owners choose against trying to save a horse with a serious injury.

But in Barbaro's case, well-to-do owners Gretchen and Roy Jackson are hoping for a full recovery.

"They are optimistic that if this is a successful healing he will be a successful stallion," Sweeney said.

Barbaro's sire, Dynaformer, commands a $100,000 stud fee.

Matz was encouraged after his visit, but was left wondering what might have been had his horse won the Preakness.

"It would have been great if he could have won the Triple Crown," Matz said. "He tried. He won the Derby, he got hurt.

"We've had horses that broke down before. It's something that happens. Sometimes you can't save them and sometimes you can. Hopefully, this will be one of the times we can save him," Matz said.

Inside the center, apples, carrots, peppermints and flowers continued arriving for Barbaro. On a white sheet of paper next two dozen roses was a note: "Thank you for doing all you can to save Barbaro. America is so thankful."

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back