Winning Preakness Trainer Gets 15 Day Suspension...

mrracetrack

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Albertrani starts 15-day ban

By DAVID GRENING
Tom Albertrani, the trainer of Preakness winner Bernardini, began serving a 15-day suspension on Monday after one of his horses tested positive for the banned tranquilizer acepromazine. The suspension was reduced from 30 days because Albertrani waived his right of appeal.
Albertrani, who was also fined $1,000 by the stewards, is banned from the grounds of any New York Racing Association track until June 6, four days before the Belmont Stakes. Albertrani is expected to run Deputy Glitters and possibly Bernardini in the Belmont.

The presence of acepromazine was found in the urine but not the blood of Fire Hero after he won the ninth race at Aqueduct on April 1. The horse was disqualified and ruled unplaced in the order of finish.

Albertrani said Fire Hero is not treated with acepromazine and believes the incident may have been a result of contamination. Albertrani said another horse in the barn was on that medication.

"We didn't bother doing a split sample," Albertrani said Monday. "I didn't know if it was worth pursuing. Sometimes these things happen through contamination. . . . It had to be such a minute amount for it to be in the urine and not the blood."

Not what people really wanted to hear after the BARBARO incident... :rolleyes:

Wonder if it was one of the Sheikh's horses as well? Good thing I didn't know that Bernardini was owned by the Arabs or I never would have picked him. Nothing against them, I just like seeing North American horsepeople win the big classic races over here.

tennis_balls said:
doping in horse racing???

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

does English Harbor own any horses?

Matter of fact tennis_balls, I think they do. It's a cheap "claimer" called "Broken Code"....think they've got some new "bug" rider in the irons, he he he. Sometimes, I kill me. :D

Posted by Pinababy...

Matter of fact tennis_balls, I think they do. It's a cheap "claimer" called "Broken Code"....think they've got some new "bug" rider in the irons, he he he. Sometimes, I kill me.

:lolup: :lolup: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back