Strictly Movies

Well there's about 50 films mentioned already that I liked/loved. So maybe I'll add some (edit: it became a lot) that haven't had a mention yet.
Clint Eastwood features quite heavily.

Oldies (ie 60s or earlier)

Oliver Twist, Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Ladykillers (all starring Sir Alec Guinness)
It's a Wonderful Life
The Adventures of Robin Hood (an all star cast led by Errol Flynn and a terrific music score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
Twelve Angry Men (another ridiculously all-star cast, led by Henry Fonda)
Bullitt

70s - The Sting (MUST-SEE), Dirty Harry, Escape From Alcatraz, Every Which Way But Loose, The Beguiled, The Eiger Sanction, Play Misty For Me (all starring Clint Eastwood), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown (both starring Jack Nicholson), Get Carter, Sleuth (both starring My Cocaine), Duel (Spielberg's directing debut), A Clockwork Orange, Silver Streak, The Long Good Friday

80s - The Colour of Money, Prizzi's Honour, Escape To Victory, Heartbreak Ridge, Die Hard, Trading Places, Coming To America, Commando, 48 Hours, Runaway Train, This Is Spinal Tap, Weird Science, Midnight Run, Cannonball Run, The Money Pit, Big, No Way Out, Witness, Stir Crazy, Wall Street, The Untouchables, Rain Man

90s - Absolute Power, The Rookie, Demolition Man, Hidden Agenda, Speed, Sleepers, Leon: The Professional

Noughties - Harry Brown, Gran Torino, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Iron Man, Hellboy, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, Taken, Gangster Number 1

This decade - Legend (the Krays film where Tom Hardy plays both brothers), Bridesmaids, The Heat, Spy, Margin Call, Taken 2, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Escape Plan, Haywire.

And I like me some Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris. So Police Story and Missing In Action immediately spring to mind.

Last edited:
Well there's about 50 films mentioned already that I liked/loved. So maybe I'll add some (edit: it became a lot) that haven't had a mention yet.

Oliver Twist, Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Ladykillers (all starring Sir Alec Guinness)
It's a Wonderful Life
The Adventures of Robin Hood (an all star cast led by Errol Flynn and a terrific music score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
Bullitt

70s - The Sting (MUST-SEE), Dirty Harry, Escape From Alcatraz, Every Which Way But Loose, The Beguiled, The Eiger Sanction, Play Misty For Me (all starring Clint Eastwood), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown (both starring Jack Nicholson), Get Carter, Sleuth (both starring My Cocaine), Duel (Spielberg's directing debut), A Clockwork Orange, Silver Streak, The Long Good Friday

80s - The Colour of Money, Prizzi's Honour, Escape To Victory, Heartbreak Ridge, Die Hard, Trading Places, Coming To America, Commando, 48 Hours, Runaway Train, This Is Spinal Tap, Weird Science, Midnight Run, Cannonball Run, The Money Pit, Big, No Way Out, Witness, Stir Crazy, Wall Street, The Untouchables, Rain Man

90s - Absolute Power, The Rookie, Demolition Man, Hidden Agenda, Speed, Sleepers, Leon: The Professional

Noughties - Harry Brown, Gran Torino, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Iron Man, Hellboy, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, Taken, Gangster Number 1

This decade - Legend (the Krays film where Tom Hardy plays both brothers), Bridesmaids, The Heat, Spy, Margin Call, Taken 2, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Escape Plan, Haywire.

And I like me some Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris. So Police Story and Missing In Action immediately spring to mind.
Seen a fair few of those, but the one that stood out from that selection is Duel. Great debut, and I remember showing that to an action film- loving mate that would have never entertained the notion of watching this.

By the film's end he was mightily impressed (and seemingly unnerved) :D

It's a Wonderful Life
Bullitt

police story blew me away :eek: when I watched it in about 92, it was so energetic and different with the hong kong setting, then I watched some of his other stuff with sammo hung, channel four had a season of them once at christmas, great fun.

There's not enough old movies on the terrestial tv these days, and I'm starting to find new films so bad that I can see myself soon watching re runs of things like 'murder she wrote' :eek2: and the made for tv movies that used to be always on. A distinctive actor I always remembered seeing during the 80's on tv was Richard Jordan, he stood in for edward woodward [when he had a heart attack] on the equalizer for a while, and he was in Logan's Run, a film which freaked me out a bit as a kid due to the dark mortality theme.

Also a big clint eastwood fan, wasn't a fan of firefox, might enjoy it now though after the passage of time :cool:

police story blew me away :eek: when I watched it in about 92, it was so energetic and different with the hong kong setting, then I watched some of his other stuff with sammo hung, channel four had a season of them once at christmas, great fun.

There's not enough old movies on the terrestial tv these days, and I'm starting to find new films so bad that I can see myself soon watching re runs of things like 'murder she wrote' :eek2: and the made for tv movies that used to be always on. A distinctive actor I always remembered seeing during the 80's on tv was Richard Jordan, he stood in for edward woodward [when he had a heart attack] on the equalizer for a while, and he was in Logan's Run, a film which freaked me out a bit as a kid due to the dark mortality theme.

Also a big clint eastwood fan, wasn't a fan of firefox, might enjoy it now though after the passage of time :cool:
So you made the transition from silent films then :p

It's a Wonderful Life
Bullitt

Not forgetting Jackie Chan growing up I used to love martial arts movies :)

I think I wanted to be a ninja also be one of the girl power rangers as well when I was young :oops:

I watched nearly every martial arts movie, Bruce Lee was my hero back then :D

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Leon yet but one of my favs. Saw a good film that nobody else seems to have watched called State of Grace which was good - maybe it was bigger in the states.

Anything with Clint Eastwood is good for me as well as any martial arts film. Subtitled would be City of God through to Seven Samurai. I'm a big fan of foreign cinema as well.

East is East is a fav of mine also and lock,stock & snatch are great too.

There really are too many to mention but a few I will watch from these recommendations.

@mcgameboy your post mentions Get Carter - great film and Michael Caine is on par with Clint for me. Not heard of the actor you mentioned? Or was that an auto correct?! Maybe drug related taurets!? :p

Apologies if already mentioned (I lost the thread for a while). The Day of the Jackal is a still a great watch and Apocalypto. When I was younger I liked the film I think this is based on called The Naked Prey. Also if you like films such as Last of the Mohicans then The Black Robe is a decent alternative.

Not forgetting Jackie Chan growing up I used to love martial arts movies :)

I think I wanted to be a ninja also be one of the girl power rangers as well when I was young :oops:

I watched nearly every martial arts movie, Bruce Lee was my hero back then :D

Bruce Lee is still my hero! Fascinating man and a great role model.....he deserves his own thread

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Leon yet but one of my favs. Saw a good film that nobody else seems to have watched called State of Grace which was good - maybe it was bigger in the states.

Anything with Clint Eastwood is good for me as well as any martial arts film. Subtitled would be City of God through to Seven Samurai. I'm a big fan of foreign cinema as well.

East is East is a fav of mine also and lock,stock & snatch are great too.

There really are too many to mention but a few I will watch from these recommendations.

@mcgameboy your post mentions Get Carter - great film and Michael Caine is on par with Clint for me. Not heard of the actor you mentioned? Or was that an auto correct?! Maybe drug related taurets!? :p

Something like that mate :laugh:

In all seriousness though, the sheer longevity of Mr. Caine and Mr. Eastwood is quite something.

What about the art movies?

Play it again Sam

God how could I forget Play It Again Sam? That scene absolutely creases me every single time. I know what's coming and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Just look at the end of the scene, they are all trying and failing miserably not to laugh. I like to think that this scene had about a hundred takes and this was their best effort at trying to contain themselves.

The actress playing the blind date is already pissing herself before Allen has even started to fall after leaning on the chair.

Watched the Equalizer 2 late last night, funniest part about that is how the Sky PIN reminder for violent content etc popped up really late on in the film.

"Oh wow, there must be an unsavoury scene coming up"..........

Nah, it was just the credits :what:

So after having seen executions, limb breaks, eye-gouges & stabbings it prompts me for my onscreen password to shield me from these things :laugh: and they say technology is dead :eek2:

The film itself was OK. It had The Denzel in it, so that's all that mattered :cool:

Last edited:
Watched the Equalizer 2 late last night, funniest part about that is how the Sky PIN reminder for violent content etc popped up really late on in the film.

"Oh wow, there must be an unsavoury scene coming up"..........

Nah, it was just the credits :what:

So after having seen executions, limb breaks, eye-gouges & stabbings it prompts me for my onscreen password to shield me from these things :laugh: and they say technology is dead :eek2:

The film itself was OK. It had The Denzel in it, so that's all that mattered :cool:
i REALLY need some zzs or glasses
i saw 'erections', and thought, wtf movie u watch? :eek2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back