Remembering the Commodore 64

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Hubby and I were still newlyweds and living from week to week, but we managed to save up our change till we had enough to buy a C64. I can't really remember, but it seemed like quite a bit of money at the time... maybe it was around $200? We had an old 13" crt TV we hooked up to it (as a monitor). It used a little tape deck for back ups. LOL But I was hooked. I have forgotten every bit of Basic I ever knew, but back then, I borrowed books from the library and friends, and we made a few games of our own. I was devastated when a thunderstorm fried it's poor little innards while we were out of the house. It was quite some time later, probably another couple of years, before we managed to save up and buy a Personal Computer. LOL

we did have one of these when i was younger i had a few games for it like dizzy the egg and a few others cant really remember
had a comadore amiga after that at some point though not sure which model but had games like monkey island and moonstone for it

Ahhhhh the old C64. And they say nostalgias nothing like it used to be ;)

I remember popping the ghostbusters casette in to load... then after several hours of beeps and whines (or at least it felt that long to my youthful ears) playing a really crap game which at the time blew me away.

As for the programming... lets see if I can remember my first ever program...

10 print ''boobies and farts''
20 goto 10
run

Hours of fun. :) I think I'll go home and wire up the old SNES now...

Ahhhhh the old C64. And they say nostalgias nothing like it used to be ;)

I remember popping the ghostbusters casette in to load... then after several hours of beeps and whines (or at least it felt that long to my youthful ears) playing a really crap game which at the time blew me away.

As for the programming... lets see if I can remember my first ever program...

10 print ''boobies and farts''
20 goto 10
run

Hours of fun. :) I think I'll go home and wire up the old SNES now...

With programming skills like that you should be on the interface design team for Betfair Ian, as for me, I was always a ZX Spectrum man :D

Raj

I was a vic 20 man and if I remember correctly lightning fast speeds from the baud 9600 modem. :)

I've still got my VIC20 and C64 tucked away somewhere in a dusty corner of my attic!

I keep thinking I will get them out for a play and a nostalgia trip one day - but I guess that's pretty unlikely to ever happen, even if they did still work after all this time.
I loved that "basic" programming language and wrote a lot of my own programs.
(A few more lines of code than IanO :p)

KK

I did write an decent fruit machine programme for the ZX81 back in the day, it was BAR , X , 0 , but it worked well, had holds and nudges and was published in a magazine.

I still have a working ZX81, ZX spectrum , and Commodore 64 up north in the loft of my parents house, along with lots of things like the legengary Quickshot 2 joystick.

Must dig it all out next time i am home.

Raj

I think from memory the 2 games i used to spend hours playing with aztec adventure (1st level running, jumping and ducking to avoid spears) and the other might have been Pitfall :confused:

Amazing how something so simple gave such enjoyment.

Before my first pc (8088, no hard drive, dual 5 1/4" floppies) I had one of these and a little black and white tv.

atari800xl.jpg

I spent a lot of spare time programming in qbasic with my handy little code book. I remember writing an entire video poker game in qbasic using ascii characters.

I also wrote a little horse racing game by making my own little 8 bit horse and replacing a couple of the keyboard characters with the little pony shapes using the old "poke" statement. Then you'd bet on one of the four little horses and watch them "run" across the tv screen. Fun times. :D

aaah memories...

Did VIC20, C64 , Amiga500, and Amiga2000 myself, before it was even doable for normal people to invest in a pc, but I always upgraded as the newer models came out. I remember the day I could afford one of these for my Amiga:
amigadrive.jpg
Now THAT speeded things up ...lol
I must say, I have had SO much fun with all my computers, especially when it became possible to get online with a modem....online is such a big word, as the internet was nothing like it is today....but it was new, and exiting
My phonebill absolutely hit the roof, cus we paid per minute then, and it was EXTREMELY slow....insane, but fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back