PlayStation suffers massive data breach

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
So now, a week later, we know why Playstation online was down.....

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

NEW YORK/BOSTON (Reuters) – Sony suffered a massive breach in its video game online network that led to the theft of names, addresses and possibly credit card data belonging to 77 million user accounts in what is one of the largest-ever Internet security break-ins.

Sony learned that user information had been stolen from its PlayStation Network seven days ago, prompting it to shut down the network immediately. But Sony did not tell the public until Tuesday.

The electronics conglomerate is the latest Japanese company to come under fire for not disclosing bad news quickly. Tokyo Electric Power Co was criticized for how it handled the nuclear crisis after the March earthquake. Last year, Toyota Motor Corp was slammed for being less than forthright about problems surrounding its massive vehicle recall.

The "illegal and unauthorized person" obtained people's names, addresses, email address, birth dates, usernames, passwords, logins, security questions and more, Sony said on its U.S. PlayStation blog on Tuesday.

The shutdown of the PlayStation Network seven days ago prevented owners of Sony's video game console ....

Over the weekend they did manage to get 19 accounts back up and playing. This am the count was 29, hell of a long way to go before they are fully back up.

I love my Playstation :thumbsup: I usually work a lot, so there is limited how much time I can use on my Playstation, but I have my periods :oops:

I mostly play RPG games (Dragon Age etc...) so I am not really affected by the Playstation network breakdown. But it must be annoying for those who like playing online.

By the way, my favorite game at the moment is "Two Worlds II". An highly underrated game.

:D

WEB_Image Two Worlds 2 (PS3) -1766370115.jpeg

I love my Playstation :thumbsup: I usually work a lot, so there is limited how much time I can use on my Playstation, but I have my periods :oops:

I mostly play RPG games (Dragon Age etc...) so I am not really affected by the Playstation network breakdown. But it must be annoying for those who like playing online.

By the way, my favorite game at the moment is "Two Worlds II". An highly underrated game.

:D

I saw a trailer for the new Elder Scrolls V. It looks amazing !
Too bad i have to wait until the release in oktober :sob:

I just hope none of you had any financial particulars registered with them. If so, might want to watch your CC accounts closely.

Mousey: I have a CC registered at Playstation Network, but the CC has expired, so not a problem for me. But this whole case is unacceptable. SONY has handled this very poorly.

Repro: Yeah, Elder Scrolls V looks great :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony PlayStation was hacked, glad to see a wakeup call for the U.K. Information Commissioners office and others.

Coming out of hibernation, huh?

Sony's hacked while they're sleeping, go figure. :rolleyes:

19-year-old arrested over Sony hack

By the CNN Wire StaffJune 21, 2011 8:43 a.m. EDT

London (CNN) -- A teenager has been arrested near London in connection with the hacking of Sony, London's Metropolitan Police said Tuesday.

The 19-year-old is suspected of hacking into systems and mounting denial of service attacks against "a number of international businesses and intelligence agencies," police said. Naming suspects who have been arrested in Britain is illegal.

Sony's PlayStation Network went down on April 20 after what Sony said was a massive data breach. It had more than 70 million subscribers at the time.

It began coming back on line in mid-May. The PlayStation Store did not reopen until June 2.

The company estimated the cost of that attack will total $171 million.

Hackers later broke into Sony Pictures website, compromising the accounts of over 1 million users, and the gaming company ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back