Parents of Truant Kids to be Jailed for One Year.

bernynhel

Dormant account
PABnoaccred
PABnononaccred
The California legislature has just passed a law making the parents of children habitually truant from school subject to being charged with a misdemeanor and punishable to up to a year in jail. Sentences can be suspended as an incentive for convicted parents to get their kids to school.

Ha! Ha! I had a vascetomy when I was 18!!! :yahoo:

I prefer the old fashion way. I'd skip school. They'd call me to the office and give me another day off to think about how important it is for me to be in class. Like anyone thinks about school on their day off.

Sometimes I wasn't done thinking so I'd take an extra day off. When they asked where I was I'd tell them I didn't think their punishment was severe enough. I really needed to be taught a lesson.

A true story

I prefer the old fashion way. I'd skip school. They'd call me to the office and give me another day off to think about how important it is for me to be in class. Like anyone thinks about school on their day off.

Sometimes I wasn't done thinking so I'd take an extra day off. When they asked where I was I'd tell them I didn't think their punishment was severe enough. I really needed to be taught a lesson.

This is a true story, when i was in the 5th grade i skipped school for 42 days straight, i had some ear surgery and was out for 2 weeks and decided i liked the feeling of being home and watching" Phil Donahue" in the mornings and an old soap opera that used to come on called "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"

I had a older friend who contacted the school every other day who pretended to be my mom on the phone.

It was a sad day when i was home watching the soap and heard a car screeching to a halt in the driveway, i went and hid in the closet, behind some coats and then my mother yelled, my heart was racing 100 miles per hour," Laurie Anne, get your ass out here now", oh god she is going to kill me, whats the worst that can happen, omg, im gonna get the belt.

As i came out of the closet still holding my breath and my ass, my mother said the school contacted your dad at work and wanted to know when they should send over a home school teacher as you have been deathly ill but are on the mend?

My dad let the school know that i was not sick nor deathly ill but i would be back at school the next day and that evening i recieved the worst ass whipping you can imagine, i still get cold chills when i think of the sound of my dads cowboy boots walking up that long sidewalk.

The school did take my parents to court over this, my friend also got suspended and my 85 year old dad to this day never lets me forget about the time i played 42 days of hookey from school.

Laurie

I wouldn't have lived to tell the story. LOL Going to school was non-negotiable. Couldn't even stay home sick unless I had a couple degrees temp which of course led to a doctor's appt. which made the whole thing less favorable than just going to school in the first place. I gave my daughter more leeway on that rule and she pushed the limit some but always kept her work up. just depends on the child. If my parents had given me more freedom to decide, I'd probably still be working on my GED. LOL
Well bern that's one reason for getting a vasectomy I suppose. :D

My senior year in H.S, I had a total of 346 class truancies. We had an open campus, parked on public streets around the school or in church parking lots, empty on week days so came and went as we pleased. The dean and vice principle called me in and threatened me with expulsion, but, as I had already been accepted to Cal, I told him to go ahead and expel me if he liked since I thought I could get by without my H.S. diploma. Then asked him if he could get along without his school paper editor, year book editor, and only one half of his 4.0 seniors. He turned reticent and vague before dismissing me.

Of course he regretted that moment of spinelessness on opening day of the next school year when the only full frontal view photograph of a certain one of the graduating streakers :D from the previous year's commencement, taken as that certain streaker :D was grimacing at and flipping the bird to the viewer, straight into the well placed cameraman's lens, was 1/2 of the front page of the mock edition of the Tyro Weekly welcoming students and staff to the new school year. I had answered, my friend, the vice principle's, call for newspaper and annual staffers to volunteer for a couple of days to come back after graduation to help put the press room in order for summer hiatus since there had been a last day of school edition.

I knew that if there is such a thing as Karma, revenge for my actions would have to come to me through children of my own, one day. Ha ha! F U, Karma! Read my OP, sukka!

felicie said:
Well bern that's one reason for getting a vasectomy I suppose.

Not even close!!!

Last edited:
I skipped gym for the last 2 and a half years of high school. It wasn't noticed until Senior Finals Week. I was told I would have to do 100 laps on the track in order to make up the classes and graduate. It took all day, I walked the laps, and read The Martian Chronicles while walking. I really just did 50 laps, and lied about it. I was a sickeningly good girl at the time, so the coaches bought it.

So worth it.:D

I skipped gym for the last 2 and a half years of high school. It wasn't noticed until Senior Finals Week. I was told I would have to do 100 laps on the track in order to make up the classes and graduate. It took all day, I walked the laps, and read The Martian Chronicles while walking. I really just did 50 laps, and lied about it. I was a sickeningly good girl at the time, so the coaches bought it.

So worth it.:D

What sucked for me was that seniors still had to pass gym to graduate but they based the grade solely on attendance. Each quarter everyone started with As and then for every combination of 4 "tardy/truants" your grade would drop so that a combination of 16 "tardy/truants" was an "F". This meant I had to limit my truancies to just 30 in each semester! Of course I never squandered a "truancy" on a "tardy" so, if attending at all, always on time! lol They dropped compulsory gym for seniors the year after I graduated.

I had several classes I attended less than a dozen times, each, per semester and attended only for the exams or on days when term papers were due so, basically, I was being permitted to ace them in absentia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back