Long posts without interspace

Emmeline

Dormant account
This is a suggestion not a complaint.
I find it very hard to read the 20-30 line posts that have no interspace. I have seen some lately that I would like to read, but it's just too difficult or time-consuming. Is it just me?

:)
Emme

IhadtolookupwhatINTERSPACEwasbecasueIdidnotknowthemeaning.

I agree. Just a mess sometimes when people write looong posts without splitting them into sections/paragraphs :)

This is a suggestion not a complaint.
I find it very hard to read the 20-30 line posts that have no interspace. I have seen some lately that I would like to read, but it's just too difficult or time-consuming. Is it just me?

Emme

Agreed. Its sometimes like some people are afraid they have to pay for the space a post takes.
Its free, really!:D

I will pass up a post without paragraphs; it makes my eyeballs bleed. Also, I will pass up long, drawn out repetitive posts. If the poster has something to say, I am all for it, but if they repeat their opinion 11 different ways, all in the same post it tends to bore me and I will move right past it.

;)

Long posts without interspace
What an intriquing title I must say! Caught my attention..and took me back to the days of "Lost in Space"....Those were the good ole days, I must say! :D

Well...now that I see it again..I know it was meant for writing...but thank you for the walk down memory lane!

:thumbsup: :D

What an intriquing title I must say! Caught my attention..and took me back to the days of "Lost in Space"....Those were the good ole days, I must say! :D

Well...now that I see it again..I know it was meant for writing...but thank you for the walk down memory lane!

:thumbsup: :D

:lolup: Hm I understand now that might not have been the most appropriate word to use, I guess that can happen when you use the translator, even if I try to choose the best expression. I'm happy it caught your attention though :)

Emme

Yesterday I was on my way to mars and now I'm heading even further into (inter)space, don't know where this is going. I'll probably be calling earth at this time tomorrow, but I will have a 100 posts and be fully registered, Beep beep :D

Yesterday i was on my way to mars and now I'm heading even further into (inter)space, don't know where this is going. I'll probably be calling earth at this time tomorrow, but I will have a 100 posts and be fully registered, Beep beep :D
Not this Mars thing again :lolup:
Make that trip to the US & come to Connecticut.:thumbsup:
~T~

I couldn't resist :D Now I'm there :yahoo:
I will officially not be thanking anyone in one week ;) and only post what I think is potentially useful posts. My thank you/thanked stats are really bad and my reputation is worse than I deserve, I hope ;)

Emme

I couldn't resist :D Now I'm there :yahoo:
I will officially not be thanking anyone in one week ;) and only post what I think is potentially useful posts. My thank you/thanked stats are really bad and my reputation is worse than I deserve, I hope ;)

Emme

I have no idea what you are talking about. The stats on the top are not what's important here. I can post 50 nonsense posts a day, or I can thank everyone for every little something, until they run out for the day.

I really wish the forum didn't have those stats/thanks/and now "likes" being tabulated, too. I do not think they have any basis in reality, but some folks seem to like them. Maybe it is a status thing?

Anyway, Emma, be who you are and just be honest in your posts. That's better then any dozens of thanks.

I only worry about who is neg repping me, so I can temper myself to act more reasonably. Or at least try. :p

Last edited:
jod5413: I really wish the forum didn't have those stats/thanks/and now "likes" being tabulated, too. I do not think they have any basis in reality, but some folks seem to like them. Maybe it is a status thing?
Some are finding those buttons offensive it seems...I think an agree/disagree button would have been more useful than the like/dislikes...but it is what it is..

Reputation in a Forum is supposed to reflect how valuable and/or reliable your responses usually are. Since this forum is information oriented, this system was put in place to allow new users to effectively 'evaluate' the information they were receiving from a particular user who might respond. Like any other system, it isn't perfect, and can be either manipulated, abused, or even just accidentally not used for the intended purpose.

At this point, I'd say that a newcomer asking for information would only need to be concerned if they received a response from someone under 5 Rep Power. The difference in integrity between a Rep Power of say 20 and 200 is almost moot, and anything in between can definitely then be labeled 'status' amongst the community members. This pretty much is the case for all Forums that use Reputation. Again, the concept is well intentioned, but since basically the Reputation is raised or lowered by the community members over time, it really doesn't mean much past between 10 to 20.

Your Rep Power is a mathematical calculation of your Reputation Points. Your largest increases in Rep Points comes on the anniversary of your registration on the board, so annually you get a nice boost. Your actual number of posts also add to your points, but it's such a low number that you really need thousands of posts to make much of an effect on your Rep Power. You can get a decent boost in points if you have a nominated post that wins 1st, 2nd or 3rd for the fortnight.

The 'Thanks' button was specifically setup to give thanks to a post that contained valuable information. Giving thanks also gives the poster reputation points, which I believe is a mathematical percentage or other formula of YOUR actual Reputation that is then transferred to them. Bryan used to have a section that spelled out ALL of these formulas, but I cannot find it anymore. At any rate, as one might expect, the term 'valuable information' that the Admins had in mind was not necessarily what the community members had in mind. Whilst trying to remain flexible with some of the out-of-bounds uses being seen, it got to a point where people were using it as a 'high-five' when ganging up on each other. That's clearly not the intention, no matter how flexible one tries to be, and Bryan put up a post about such abuses. It's not that I think he was too concerned about reputation points being tallied, but that the 'thanks' were a more in-your-face bird by multiple people. That's certainly on the extreme end of things, so don't flame me over trying to get an example across that I think many can understand.

After being absent for a period of time, I was not aware of the post Bryan made (he has recently re-linked to it in another thread). I have been using the 'thanks' as a high-five, because that was acceptable last time I was using the forums regularly. Since understanding his position, I am only thanking posts that deserve a thanks based on criteria I think the Admins wanted, and that isn't as stiff a criteria as some may imagine.

I thank posts that obviously give information that is valuable. I also thank posts that follow up with any additional value, even if it's only one extra point being made. If someone responds to me in a civilized way, I will sometimes thank them, and in that case, we are moving out of dry information into giving thanks for posting and forum etiquette, which I also believe is valid to thank for. That whole category, posting and forum etiquette, is pretty flexible, and sometimes I will thank a post or two in threads I haven't even participated in beyond reading, because the posts were so well thought out and well, deserving of a thanks!

I think the system is flexible enough to allow each member to figure out their own criteria for 'thanks' above and beyond just valuable information. My examples were just that, examples. Clearly the use of the 'thanks' as not a real thanks to the poster, but rather a bird flipped at whomever the poster is in a disagreement with, is what is most frowned upon. Bryan did say an option exists to remove it if the abuse continues.

The 'Likes' thing I haven't really wrapped my head around, so I don't use it. It's confusing to me, because if I would thank a post, I obviously like it, except I know it's not intentioned to be used for every thanked post, and well... then my head explodes.

If someone wants to explain how they use 'like' in conjunction with 'thanks', I'm all ears... :D

I'd also like to know from an Admin whether or not a 'Like' adds to reputation points, and is it a greater/less/equal addition than 'Thanks'? If you Like and Thank, is the poster getting doubled up rep?

- Keith

Ok, I am officially thanking people again ;) It was not seriously meant if someone should think so.
Thank you, that was certainly valuable information. :thumbsup:
I realise now that my comments may suggest that I have tried to write a lot of posts just for the sake of it, but that is not the case. I have noticed that some people have few posts but high reputation, I will never achieve that because I will also write "nonsense".
I really try to contribute whenever I think I have some valid and potentially useful information. Initially my presumption was that you use the thank you button in that way, then I realised it was used more generally as a way of showing appreciation.
I have tried to use it moderately, but I have had a lot to be thankful for. :notworthy
Now I hesitate to start a thread or ask a question because I really want to thank anyone who cares to reply or tries to help. Then I will soon have 300 thanks and 20 thanked posts.

I managed to nominate three people the first day, for welcoming me.:oops:
Now I would like to nominate your post but I don't know if I dare.
Ok, I dare, sorry if I'm doing it wrong. (btw it's not to get rep points)

Emme

Last edited:
i have always appreciated the member who takes the time to make sure their posts are grammatically correct and the usage of punctuation and paragraphs are employed.

not only does it make it easier to read, but i feel it makes it easier for the reader to understand what the poster is trying to convey.

in reference to the 'likes'/ thanks thing... i use the 'likes' when i think somthing in the post is funny, well-stated, ,BUT may not thank the post as I feel the post only has a few qualities I find redeeming. I will thank a post I feel has a lot of well thought out, redeeming qualities I can relate to.

I agree with the status thing where some look at the number of posts/thanks/thanked/rep points/power thing. I personally, don't care if you have 5 posts or 5000 posts. It's quality NOT quantity of post that counts. and sorry I haven't taken some of my own advice here, but Im hooked up to about 7 machines doing and making different sounds right at the moment.

i think it's fair to make mention of those great walls of words , i think this is a form of sending that message out

i know theres a lot of us here that have gotten better at making up More reader friendly lists of words

but will everyone ever get to the level of john steed that be heaven :notworthy

so i need spell check like oxygen im aware of the thirty five word max per parragrapf our friends will catch on lack of humility is a terrible thing to die with

love thy neighbor R C

I will pass up a post without paragraphs; it makes my eyeballs bleed. Also, I will pass up long, drawn out repetitive posts. If the poster has something to say, I am all for it, but if they repeat their opinion 11 different ways, all in the same post it tends to bore me and I will move right past it.

;)
Ah, so I'm not the only one who has trouble making it to the end of some of VinylWeatherman's and John Steed's posts! :p

And those "blocks of text posts" are a huge turn-off to me too :( - I usually skip'em.

KK

At this point, I'd say that a newcomer asking for information would only need to be concerned if they received a response from someone under 5 Rep Power.

Yes, I must agree. I would be HIGHLY concerned if somebody with a rep power less than 5 would give me a reply. Those with such a low rep power must really be a bunch of ignorant creatures :rolleyes:

Ah, so I'm not the only one who has trouble making it to the end of some of VinylWeatherman's and John Steed's posts! :p

Odd - but not necessarily surprising - that you would make this post (not the first time either), considering that you repeat yourself and boast all too frequently, and I've never had a problem with it.
In fact, I enjoy and have always enjoyed reading your posts. To be clear, I rarely post these days, and I generally don't repeat myself within the same post. It takes a lot of time for me to post, and I'll rarely ever post if something isn't bugging me/something I feel needs to be said (right or wrong).

I guess that nit-picking people for not reaching x100 their bets in the WinnerScreenshots thread is incredibly important and essential for this site. All hail the 'King'!

Geez John, that was a bit harsh.

KK was being light hearted, mentioning VWM and yourself as members who often submit long posts - and most people who have been here a while know this is true.

Why be so defensive about it? I don't think anyone is saying that you shouldn't post a certain way.

I really don't think that personal attack was warranted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back