I thought I'd pass this along...

winbig

Keep winning this amount.
I had an essay assigned to me last week for my English class. The topic was "Presidential campaign songs and how they relate to the candidate".

I get my grade tonight, I think it'll be a good one (I hope...lol).

Although I'm biased, I think it's pretty good reading, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. :)

Enjoy!

George W. Bush has had many campaign songs during his run for President in 2000 and during his re-election campaign in 2004, which included "We the People" (Billy Ray Cyrus), "Right Now" (Van Halen) and perhaps the most fitting (and controversial) song which included a song performed by Tom Petty appropriately named I Wont Back Down. The only problem with him using this song during his 2000 campaign is not that its not in line with President Bushs actions since taking office, but that he was not given permission to use it for his Campaign; and was subsequently served with a cease-and-desist letter from publisher Randall Wixen, at the request of Tom Petty. Although compliant with the order, counsel for President Bushs campaign was quoted as saying "We do not agree that the mere playing or use of a particular song at a campaign event connotes any impression, either intentional or unintentional, of endorsement" in their response. This, as you will see, is one of the rare times that President Bush has backed down.

The first verse of I wont back down tells us Well I won't back down, no I won't back down. You could stand me up at the gates of hell but I won't back down, followed by the final 2 verses of Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around and I'll keep this world from draggin' me down, gonna stand my ground and I won't back down and Well I know what's right, I got just one life in a world that keeps on pushin' me round but I'll stand my ground and I won't back down. Its no wonder that President Bushs campaign selected this as one of their songs, as it fits his demeanour perfectly. No matter how the American Public and his colleagues try to drag him down, he will definitely stand his ground and wont back down from a decision he has made.

President Bush didnt exercise his veto power until the 5th year of his Presidency, but between 2006 and the present; he has since vetoed 5 more bills, bringing the total to 6. His first veto was to ban a bill that allowed continued federal funding for stem cell research. The total number of President Bushs vetoes will soon increase to 7, as he already has made plans to veto a bill recently passed that would ban waterboarding, which is an interrogation method that puts the detainee in fear of drowning. When asked if President Bush would be considered as a president that favored torture as a means of interrogation, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino answered -- "The president does not favor torture. The president favors making sure we do all these programs within the law," adding that "all the interrogations that have taken place in this country have been done in a legal way." I do believe that President Bush plans to keep these methods within the law, but its easy for him to do, simply by making sure that such a bill that would make these acts illegal will never become law. It also needs to be known that waterboarding has already been condemned as torture by rights groups and many governments; but still, President Bush wont back down and is gonna stand his ground.

President Bush has really stood his ground when it comes to the topic of bringing troops home from Iraq. Even though a great percentage of the public and lawmakers support this, President Bush obviously does not. So far, two bills that called for the start of a withdrawal of American troops from Iraq was vetoed by President Bush. Ironically enough, the date he vetoed the first bill (May 1, 2007) was exactly 4 years to the day that he had announced that major combat operations in Iraq were over. Both of these bills, HR 2956, and HR 1591, had set a firm deadline of withdrawing our troops from Iraq. The first bill, HR 1591, has already been vetoed by President Bush, and he has already stated that he will veto any bill that calls for our withdrawal from Iraq.

I have to give credit to President Bush for being consistent. No matter how the public or his colleagues feel about a situation, nor how much they voice their objections, he has always held his ground. Apparently, his mentality is Its either my way, or the highway, and has proven this time and time again.

President Bushs approval rating further strengthens the fact that the American public is best seen, but not heard. It has been steadily declining from a spike during the 9/11 crisis to an amazing 90%, and is presently bottoming out at around 30%. One has to wonder why in the world President Bush would care about our welfare anymore. Once out of office, not only will the problems that he has helped to create be dumped on the new President, he also has a great retirement package to look forward to. Not only will now President Bush receive a lifetime pension of $191,300, he will immediately receive a payout for transition expenses, so that he can go back to living a normal life. President Bush requested, and received authorization for $7.7 million in transition expenses in the event that he was not successful in his bid for re-election in 2004. Ultimately, one really has to ponder the question of whether or not President Bush will ever back down. My answer is a solid no.

That sounds like a good report there Win but I don't think you'll be making any new friends with the conservative students in the audience though !!... :lolup:

That sounds like a good report there Win but I don't think you'll be making any new friends with the conservative students in the audience though !!... :lolup:

hehe I kinda doubt it too :D

I'm fairly certain that the teach isn't a conservative...I guess I'll find out tonight...:lolup:

She had mentioned in our first class that most of our essays are going to be on topics of our choosing. I can't wait for my final essay - "Why Dubya is the worst President in history". :D

Very Creative Winbig! Whats your major if I may ask?

Thanks....My major is Web Development and Administration, but unfortunately I have to take the core classes which include the usual - math, english, history, and speech. :rolleyes:

Since I'm already 36, I'm on the 2 year tract for an AAS degree. Maybe if I was a little younger, I'd pursue a 4 year college afterwards.

yay, I received a B+. :D

What's nice about this class is that you're allowed to make a revision on each of the assigned essays, and have until the end of the semester to turn them in. ie: A chance to bring your grade up for any given essay.

What about the bill he SHOULD have vetoed, that nasty little amendment to the safe ports act:D

Just seen him here on the news defending the veto on "waterboarding".
Naturally, it is not used, as he says "in this country", it's done in CUBA:rolleyes:

yay, I received a B+. :D

What's nice about this class is that you're allowed to make a revision on each of the assigned essays, and have until the end of the semester to turn them in. ie: A chance to bring your grade up for any given essay.

Way to go Win, a B+ is purdy damn good man...:thumbsup:

I'm fairly certain that the teach isn't a conservative...I guess I'll find out tonight...:lolup:

S&M or the new craze Water Boarding springs to mind, but its all just a bit of fun really. At least the water boarding is.

She might be a bit pissed off that Bush's mentor, Fidal Castro is quitting though.

S&M or the new craze Water Boarding springs to mind, but its all just a bit of fun really. At least the water boarding is.

She might be a bit pissed off that Bush's mentor, Fidal Castro is quitting though.

:lolup:

Funny you should say that...our next essay is on comparison and contrast. She went around the room and asked what everyone was going to write about, and when it got to me, I told her I was going to do mine on GW & Castro. I was thinking of saying GW & Satan, but that's too obvious.

But, seriously, I'm going to write about Vegas. Comparing it from the time the Flamingo was built and present day. :thumbsup:

Well done, winbig! Nicely written and a very nice grade. :thumbsup:

Just a quick note:

After the war with Japan... We (the United States) put 8 Japanese war criminals to death for "waterboarding", we hung them by the neck until they were dead. So if it ain't torture... Why did we kill eight people for doing it to our captured troops?

:lolup:

Funny you should say that...our next essay is on comparison and contrast. She went around the room and asked what everyone was going to write about, and when it got to me, I told her I was going to do mine on GW & Castro. I was thinking of saying GW & Satan, but that's too obvious.

But, seriously, I'm going to write about Vegas. Comparing it from the time the Flamingo was built and present day. :thumbsup:
GW and Castro could be fun:
Differences: one is an evil dictator, the other is a visionary leader loved by his people; one fought for the cause he believed in, the other did his best to save his own skin but does not mind sending others to wars abroad.
Similarities: Neither was elected in free and fair elections. Neither cares much about human rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back