• Italy - Extra Time

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • England - Penalties

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Italy- Penalties

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, it's a stinging way to lose, we had the first half, they the second, extra time pretty even and we finished with the 3 shittiest, tame & flaccid penalty kicks that have ever disgraced a major penalty shootout. So we deserved to lose. But that said, it was nice to experience a final for the first time in my life and they did well overall. Congrats Italy, the old Italian guile of fouling mixed with quick precise play helped them along and they held their nerve at the vital moment.
Should of buried the second half. Pens are always horrible also think it’s shit house no seniors stood up. A 18 year old taking the last one should of been kane last.

Right a few observations. Marcus Rashford what the actual fuck was that run up so so bad he missed before he even took it. Sancho has hardly kicked the ball the whole tournament. Then Saka who is still a baby he had the balls to take it but why no senior players a 18 year old taking the last one :( questions need to be asked of Southgate's decisions tonight. Henderson would of scored a penalty and Sterling too.

To be fair though, I think Gareth thought the youngsters would not feel as much pressure as the seniors would feel on taking penalty kicks. I am not defending Southgate's choices but he should have done subs much much sooner. And try to win the game in extra time rather than forcing it to goto penalties. I mean no amount of practise matters with penalties anyway.

At the end of the day, anything can happen in them and it does not matter how many times you practise them they always never go the way you want them to go, all you can do is hope they go your way and not the way of the other team. We still had huge advantage because we had it at home but obviously it was just not enough this time. Such a shame.

I am gutted but its over now. Let us hope we witness England in a final again before we all go 6 feet under or burnt to a crisp if that is what you choose to do. But I doubt we will but hey who knows.........

Congrats to italy, they did look the best team in the tournament but i think they were there for the taking in that 1st half, but we were casual with chances and good positions rather than going for the jugular. Gareth is decent as a safe pair of hands, roy hodgson prototype but if he were managing italy tonight and mancini us, then i think the result is different. Harsh i know as gareth is likeable and looks like he tries his best. But there's no shame in losing the way we did, they gave a good account of themselves, hard to ask for much more.

I think man of the match should have gone to our goal keeper Jordan Pickford. He not only did well in the game but did really well on penalty's. I just wish Gareth Southgate didn't have young kids take penalty's against a really experienced giant of a goalkeeper, maybe then we could have won the shootout.

The crucial penalty miss was Rashford's - scores, we are 3-2 up with 2 remaining, so a get out of jail card if we miss the next. Score the next, we have at least one shot to win it. Trying to be clever, he cannot even get it on target as he looks at the keeper and not the goal. That was the point when I knew it was all over, our chance had gone. And that was before I even realized that for some inexplicable reason Southgate has selected 2 kids to take the last ones...

To be fair though, I think Gareth thought the youngsters would not feel as much pressure as the seniors would feel on taking penalty kicks. I am not defending Southgate's choices but he should have done subs much much sooner. And try to win the game in extra time rather than forcing it to goto penalties. I mean no amount of practise matters with penalties anyway.

At the end of the day, anything can happen in them and it does not matter how many times you practise them they always never go the way you want them to go, all you can do is hope they go your way and not the way of the other team. We still had huge advantage because we had it at home but obviously it was just not enough this time. Such a shame.

I am gutted but its over now. Let us hope we witness England in a final again before we all go 6 feet under or burnt to a crisp if that is what you choose to do. But I doubt we will but hey who knows.........
To be honest I’m just glad I witnessed a final in my lifetime haha. I was devastated last night

The crucial penalty miss was Rashford's - scores, we are 3-2 up with 2 remaining, so a get out of jail card if we miss the next. Score the next, we have at least one shot to win it. Trying to be clever, he cannot even get it on target as he looks at the keeper and not the goal. That was the point when I knew it was all over, our chance had gone. And that was before I even realized that for some inexplicable reason Southgate has selected 2 kids to take the last ones...
I am still scratching my head at his run up very embarrassed for him he went to bits and lost the plot he’s also missed a few for man United

'ah what is he doing!' were my words, it was a laughable attempt at trying to draw the keeper early, he was running out of room and time as the keeper didn't flinch and just waited. As lampard said to shearer they had a regular method of taking a pen, not trying to dance around and be clever. Walker has a great shot on him yet one of those taken off at the close, so i'm sure he'd have converted his, probably hendo too

Not a mission that was Rashford's practice penalty in the run up to the game: if it was, someone needed to have taken him to one side and told him not to try and be a smart arse.

Chance u balloon it if you put the foot through but at least if you do there's a good chance the keepers not keeping it out, even if they get it.

Should have run up the stairs and got Shearer to come down to take one

Not a mission that was Rashford's practice penalty in the run up to the game: if it was, someone needed to have taken him to one side and told him not to try and be a smart arse.

Chance u balloon it if you put the foot through but at least if you do there's a good chance the keepers not keeping it out, even if they get it.

Should have run up the stairs and got Shearer to come down to take one

I love Alan! He's a sound guy. Probs would have come down and done it to. Haha

One silver lining - I won't have to endure that aural filth known as 'Football's Coming Home' by Badbreath and Skinflint all fucking summer. Like a Mariah Carey Christmas track it was shit when it came out and gets even shittier every time you endure it afterwards. So thank your lucky stars in the UK you've been spared that drivelling torture.

One silver lining - I won't have to endure that aural filth known as 'Football's Coming Home' by Badbreath and Skinflint all fucking summer. Like a Mariah Carey Christmas track it was shit when it came out and gets even shittier every time you endure it afterwards. So thank your lucky stars in the UK you've been spared that drivelling torture.

its coming ROME!!!

Southgate again no faith and trust in grealish and would rather throw a kid on to take it to make a racial statement which backfired. !
I think they would have had the 5 picked out long before the final, depending on who was on the pitch at the time of the penalties, and thats why they rushed to get Rashford and Sancho on at the end.
None of us know whats been going on at the training camp re penalty taking, but seeing the preparation that has gone on from Southgate for each game, changing formations and not afraid to change the team, I dont think it was a last minute thought to have the 5 that took the penalties being sent up there just on a whim.
As a Northern Ireland supporter, I can only dream of watching my team in a final, and I would say to any England fan on here that the whole team did you proud by getting to the final and having every chance of winning a trophy, they only just came up short and they give plenty of hope for the future.

Putting aside the pks, Lineker has summed it up well for me, but probably been better to have said it during the group stage so it might get heard by gareth, also kane is one of the best centre forwards in years but starved of service, and playing near the halfway line for most of the game, such a waste of his talent for goal scoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back