classy, backlit, spill-resistant keyboard: any recommendations?

maxd

Head of Complaints (PABs), Senior Forum Moderator
Staff member
Over the weekend a poorly placed glass of wine ended up all over my lovely keyboard and wireless mouse, killed them both. Turned out to be a very expensive glass of wine!

The mouse I'm simply going to replace but the keyboard needs an upgrade to something spill-resistant.

I'm pretty much addicted to having a backlit keyboard -- those early mornings and all -- so I'm looking for something that is:
  1. backlit, brightness control is a must, don't much care about backlight colour.
  2. spill-resistant, water-resistant, call it what you like.
  3. QUIET! No clicky-clacky keyboard for me TYVM.
  4. linux compatible. As I understand it this just means no proprietary software installation required to use the keyboard.
I know I should be all picky about mechanical VS membrane but I honestly can't be arsed. As long as it's quiet and well made I'm a happy camper. Anti-ghosting is nice but not a deal-breaker. I generally prefer 104s or 108s: need that numeric keypad for tax time and such.

So, anyone got a good recommendation or two I can follow-up on?

FWIW I do have a Logitech K310 -- washable! -- and I pretty much hate it. Clacky keys, mushy response on key-press, etc. I'm glad I have the thing for emergencies but it ain't fit for everyday use.

If you are into your keyboards then this'll mean something to you: I've recently tried and like Cherry MX Reds, Browns too. The rest of the Cherrys, at least the Blues and Greens that I've tried, are out of the question. I need a light, quiet touch.

I'm so far out of the loop that there's even these options - i always grab a $20 kb/mouse wireless combo at Walmart :D

Yeah, I did for years too but ended up with a Logitech K740 which I pretty much loved. Way easier on the RSI than the cheapo keyboards. Of course that's the one that died under a splash of wine this weekend and there's no way I'm spending 70 bucks on another snowflake keyboard. It's either going to be splash-resistant -- I've even seen some you can power-wash! -- or that rarest of keyboards, a quality feel that costs $20 or less.

ps reminds me of phones - my friend insists on newest/best iphones and I swear they break at a sneeze. I have a cheapo Samsung android Ive dropped a thousand times, no cracks or scratches, and drunkenly dropped into a hot tub and didnt discover until the following morning when I saw it sitting at the bottom of the tub and still working.

But heck, I learn more every day what's out there.

Good, mid-range wireless keyboard. Surprised to hear that it survived the sloshing. Sure wish mine had. :(

Personally I have a Corsair Mechanical keyboard. It's backlit, not too loud and has lasted me ages. Plus, it's cheaper than most other mechanical keyboards.

In case you are still looking for one, the Corsair K68 could be an option for you:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

-- Backlit, Cherry Red switches, dust & spill resistance up to IP32.

It is on the pricy side but thats to be expected if you go down the Mechanical route.
Plenty of videos on youtube if you want to check it out aswell :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back