Catching my own dinner

rainmaker

I'm not a penguin

Sooo...I will be going on a fishing trip tomorrow. Me and a friend will try our best to catch a big Salmon.
We are leaving very early and will be away for most of the day.

Just wanted to let you know since this is where I hopefully will post a picture of a large fish :D

Fishing Trip.jpg

Good luck! Maybe jasminebed can give you some recipes on how to cook your catch o' the day to keep her mind off her pending withdrawal!:thumbsup:

gl m8 :) big salmon fishing man here, was actully out this morning fishing, got no salmon but got a nice 4 pound sea trout
a big nice lake about a Km up the road from were live :)

Thank you guys. I shall try my best to make you proud today hehe!

Way to go with that 4 pound sea trout The Viking :D

Max's Catch Of The Day:

tofu.jpeg

That's the wild and wooly Block O' Tofu, cubed up and ready for noms. :)

Any secrets to it Max?

There are three secrets to tofu: marinate, marinate, marinate. Tofu is basically a big flavour sponge so whatever you like the taste of is a good thing to marinate it in. One of my favs -- use it pretty much every day -- is something like this:

1/4 kilo firm tofu cut into cubes (thumb-wide in a side or smaller)
1-2 tablespoon of tamari (or strong soya sauce, or Braggs, etc)
1 teaspoon of cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 teaspoon of tasty hot sauce (whatever you like, I have dozens, but only use something without chemical ingredients)
1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
(optional) diced ginger and/or garlic and/or green chili peppers

- mix everything together, marinate for 30 mins or more (longer is better but not necessary), toss frequently.
- cook it however you like: boil it in the marinade, fry it in a little olive oil, deep-fry, toss it in with misc veg and stir-fry, whatever. 10-15 mins is usually plenty cooking time.

I eat this with noodles or rice or multi-grain couscous or <your favourite grain here> or even potatoes. Pretty versatile really.

The marinade above just happens to be one I like, feel free to ignore any ingredients you don't have or don't like. You can use pretty much anything as long as you like the taste of it. I've used plain soya sauce, beer, left-over water from cooking beans, wine, saki, etc etc. I eat a lot of tofu. :)

You can also just crumble the plain firm tofu up and heat it in your favourite pasta sauce if that appeals to you. Makes for a hearty pasta meal.

Soft tofu can be eaten without cooking: toss in soups (pretty much any soup you can imagine) or grain or bean salads, scramble-fry with eggs, goes great with kimchi (cold or hot) if you're into the whole fermented cabbage scene. Heck, you can just dip in in that marinade above and eat it straight if you're cool with that.

Truth is tofu is one of the most versatile foods there are, it's hard to find a style of cooking that it isn't good for. I've even made hummous and falafel with it. Just remember: for most people tofu needs to soak up some flavours from something in order to be tasty. After that you're off to the races.

I say this (a) because you don't need chemicals in your hot sauce and (b) some chemicals become nasty when heated. Best to avoid.

Colour me lazy; I just buy the pre-flavoured tofus and soy products at the grocer store ;)

Yup, that works too. Especially good, I find, is the smoked tofu. Great with sauerkraut and potatoes!

For the most part though I tend to prefer what I can come up with at home over the flavours the grocer offers but that's just me, Mr. Fussy Pants when it comes to food. :D

Yup, that works too. Especially good, I find, is the smoked tofu. Great with sauerkraut and potatoes!

For the most part though I tend to prefer what I can come up with at home over the flavours the grocer offers but that's just me, Mr. Fussy Pants when it comes to food. :D

Ha! Spit some coffee there; we call the dog Fussy Pants Saucy Boots....not it's actual name, just what we say, cuz she's finicky and bratty

I'm all about the lazy; I just use the pre-fab soy strips and such, add some soy or the condiment du semaine, mix in with the sauteed veg and chuck em in wraps

I'm all about the lazy; I just use the pre-fab soy strips and such, add some soy or the condiment du semaine, mix in with the sauteed veg and chuck em in wraps

No doubt, a low maintenance meal certainly has its place. In fact I think I'll try your wrap idea here at chez nous later this week. :thumbsup:

@rainmaker: sorry for the big fat derail. :oops:

I love salmon, all seafood really.

Depending on the size of your catch, steak or fillets simply cooked quickly over an open flame with some salt pepper and a wedge of lemon can't be beaten when freshly caught.

Did a tea-smoked salmon recently on the barbecue. Made a little foil packet with 1/4 cup each of bulk oolong tea, raw rice, brown sugar, threw in some lemon peel and about 4 star anise for flavour. Poked a few holes with a fork, set it on the grill for around 15 minutes until it started to produce lots of smoke, and then cooked a small (1 1/2 pound) dressed salmon for around 20 minutes. 10 minutes an inch is a good guide for cooking fresh or thawed fish, add about half again as much time for right from frozen.

Freeze what you won't eat right away as quickly as possible.

I remember an old thread that Rainmaker started over a year ago. That showed his usual dinner brought home in a box:D
I do hope you catch something my friend...and that you'll know what to do with it:eek2:

Invite us over for proof maybe:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back