Bush to face torture case whenever abroad

rockycatt

meistercatt
Bush to face torture case whenever abroad: activists
By Stephanie Nebehay, Reuters
1 day ago

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 109
Bush answers questions about his presidency at the Ronald Reagan Presidentia...
Share |
Email Story Discuss Print
GENEVA — Activists vowed on Monday that former U.S. President George W. Bush will face a torture case against him wherever he travels outside the United States.

Human rights groups had planned to lodge a Swiss criminal case against Bush on Monday, before his address to a Jewish charity in Geneva on February 12. Organisers canceled his speech last weekend, invoking security concerns.

But the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights and the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights issued what they called a preliminary "indictment" to prosecute Bush abroad for the alleged torture of terrorism suspects in U.S. custody.

"This document is not intended to serve as a comprehensive presentation of all evidence against Bush for torture; rather, it presents the fundamental aspects of the case against him, and a preliminary legal analysis of liability for torture, and a response to certain anticipated defenses," it read.

The 42-page "indictment" alleges torture through a CIA interrogation program for detainees, approved by Bush, using enhanced methods including waterboarding, sleep deprivation, forced stress positions and confining detainees in a dark box.

"Our analysis can be modified for a particular plaintiff and country very quickly. So if he decides to leave the United States in the future, as soon as we hear about it we will have a complaint filed," Katherine Gallagher, senior staff attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights, told Reuters.

PUTTING BUSH ON NOTICE

"This is our way of putting him on notice," she said, adding that there were rumors that Bush would go to Canada in October.

The Swiss trip was to have been Bush's first abroad since his memoirs, "Decision Points," were published last November, in which he admitted to ordering waterboarding. He strongly defended the technique, which simulates drowning, as key to preventing a repeat of the September 11 attacks on America.

"Unfortunately, we have yet to see any investigation into his admission in the United States, let alone prosecution. When you have such a blatant, unequivocal admission of the authorization of torture, you just can't get away with it," Gallagher said.

Most human rights experts consider waterboarding a form of torture banned by the Convention on Torture, an international pact prohibiting torture and other cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment. Switzerland and the United States are among 147 countries to have ratified the 1987 treaty.

The human rights groups said Bush would not be entitled to immunity from prosecution as a former head of state. But Swiss officials said last week he would enjoy "a certain diplomatic immunity" in Switzerland.

Swiss law requires an alleged torturer to be on Swiss soil before a preliminary investigation can be opened, so the groups decided not to lodge their complaint in Geneva. They said it would have been on behalf of two torture victims at Guantanamo Bay.

They identified them as Sami El Hadjj, a former Al Jazeera journalist and former detainee at Guantanamo, and a Pakistani man still held at the U.S. naval base on Cuba after being transferred from a secret detention center.

"Bush is a torturer and deserves to be remembered as such," Gavin Sullivan, counter-terrorism expert at the Berlin-based European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, said in a statement.

"He bears ultimate responsibility for authorizing the torture of thousands of individuals at places like Guantanamo and secret CIA 'black sites' around the world," he said.

The indictment quotes from separate reports by the CIA Inspector General and the International Committee of the Red Cross which detail the use of the same techniques.

The ICRC, a neutral humanitarian agency, said in its leaked 2007 report that these were aimed at undermining human dignity and in many cases induce severe physical and mental pain. ICRC officials visit Guantanamo detainees, including Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the September 11 attacks.

(Editing by Tim Pearce

The 42-page "indictment" alleges torture through a CIA interrogation program for detainees, approved by Bush, using enhanced methods including waterboarding, sleep deprivation, forced stress positions and confining detainees in a dark box.

Wonder if Nick Berg or that reporter Mr. Pearl would have traded places instead of having their thoats slashed by these terrorists and thats damn well what they are, effing terrorists, I can still remember Berg screaming as they cut his thoat like an animal and wont forget it:mad:

It should piss anyone off, Bush lover or not, JMHO

This shit makes me so sick:mad:

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't Like !!!!!

:mad:

What dontcha like Laurie?

If it's what I said I was just attempting some dark humour. I wasn't making any political statements as US politics don't affect me one way or the other.

AFAIC they can do whatever they like to anyone even remotely connected with terrorism. These people forfeited any rights to be treated as human the minute that first plane hit.

The only language they understand is violence and that's how they should be dealt with.

What dontcha like Laurie?

If it's what I said I was just attempting some dark humour. I wasn't making any political statements as US politics don't affect me one way or the other.

AFAIC they can do whatever they like to anyone even remotely connected with terrorism. These people forfeited any rights to be treated as human the minute that first plane hit.

The only language they understand is violence and that's how they should be dealt with.

This I like, just one of those moods I'm in Nifty:D

Laurie

Somehow I don't believe Bush will ever be held accountable.
USA would go to war with any country that tried anything on Bush.

What everyone needs to remember here is that there were plenty of innocent people tortured. People were being plucked out of their homes the streets etc and kept in these secret facilities with no legal representation no one telling their families where they were etc for weeks months and years. The government ADMITS they were innocent but brushes it off as "oh well we still got this one guy":rolleyes: The means they use do not justify the end.

i hope as the correct justice and morale consequences are carried out that

dick cheney gets his deserving portion
AND a huge caveat here is that im not against the war against terror
we shifted our [them two] did to go to Iraq to settle a grudge fight from his fathers past involvement citing WEPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION

there's leagues of info to the contrary

PS and were on the battle field was the foot soldiers from saudi arabia and quait [ the darlings were protecting ]

Why George Bush, why not Condeleeza Rice et al? What makes people think that the President, any President, has the sole ability to do anything to anybody?

Seriously, the President of the US has about as much actual power over things as I do. Supposedly the Senate and House of Representatives are to be a check and balance for the President, while in all actuality they have more power than the President. So why just target George Bush? Why not the Senators and Representatives?

Obama is a prime example of the power a President has. Whether I agree with his policies or not, I do feel for him. He has had to kiss butt for everything he has tried. And he is the first person to be tarred and feathered when things turn out wrong.

And the people of the US should have stood up and said no. But did we? No we did not. So for my money, blame should be on ourselves. We let it happen.

looks like your correct her also in the asking by those accusing :eek2:

Rumsfeld, George Tenet, Condoleeza Rice and Alberto Gonzales International arrest warrants have been requested for George W. Bush, Richard (Dick) Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, George Tenet, Condoleeza Rice and Alberto Gonzales
January 27, 2010 by Infowars Ireland

english.pravda.ru

International arrest warrants have been requested for George W. Bush, Richard (Dick) Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, George Tenet, Condoleeza Rice and Alberto Gonzales at the International Criminal Court, The Hague, Netherlands.

Professor of Law Francis A. Boyle of the University of Illinois College of Law in Champain, United States of America, has issued a Complaint with the Prosecutor for the International Criminal Court against the above-mentioned for their practice of “extraordinary rendition” (forced disappearance of persons and subsequent torture) in Iraq and for criminal policy which constitutes Crimes against Humanity in violation of the Rome Statute which set up the ICC.

As such, the Accused (mentioned above) are deemed responsible for the commission of crimes within the territories of many States signatories of the Rome Statute, in violation of Rome Statute Articles 5 (1)(b), 7 (1)(a), 7 (1)(e), 7 (1)(g), 7(1)(h), 7(1)8i) and 7(1)(k). Despite the fact that the USA is not a signatory State, the ICC has the jurisdiction to prosecute under Article 12 (2)(a) of the Rome Statute.

This Article stipulates that the Court may exercise its jurisdiction if one or more States in which the conduct in question occurred has accepted the jurisdiction of the Court. Furthermore, the forced disappearance of persons and torture in deemed by the Rome Statute as a Crime against Humanity, one which is still ongoing.

The Exercise of Jurisdiction may be activated under Article 13, with respect to a crime committed under Article 5 if the Prosecutor has initiated an investigation. Professor Boyle, in his issue of complaint, respectfully requested that such an investigation be initiated.

The issue of complaint states “about 100 human beings have been subjected to enforced disappearances and subsequent torture by the Accused”, adds that some of them could still be alive today, and that an investigation could save these lives. Regarding those whose enforced disappearances led to their deaths, the Complaint requests a process of explanation and clarification for what would be a murder investigation

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

ref -->

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back