Brexit - whats the difference.....

I don't think anyone realistically stated the UK would be in a better position post-EU. Only thing we've had is those with a penchant for Remain reminding people how much worse everything'd be after the fact!

Oh come now Mr Goatwack, I can't even begin to believe you typed that with a straight face :)

That's work in progress. When there is something to report we'll let you know.

FTR those we are upset by comments like yours are under no obligation to inform or discuss it with you. IMO given your outspoken position(s) of hatred and intolerance they would be unwise to do so. The Report system is there for their use and, as always, I encourage them to use it.
So after all the thoughts I’m taking it I’ll not be banned. That’s good.

As you have a hatred of me anyway this would of been a biased venture from the outset.

you already took away my free speech from the North Korea thread as it is max.

yes I get you don’t like me, but again rather than flex your banning muscles how about reaching out to me via email or PM And maybe start a discussion?

if you hated me that much then I’d happily have a phonecall and discuss why. Your bias and dislike of me you have stated yourself many times, and as a so called liberal mod it’s not fair, I’ve never called you max, yet you can call me a racist, a bigot and lowest of the low with no response, kind of bullying isn’t it?...

It’s easy to virtue signal about certain subjects when they don’t affect you or your family or those close to you.

not Flaming or wherever you internet people call it when adults have issue, I’d just like to know where I stand here please, and furthermore I’d love to have a open conversation with you regarding why you hate me and disagree with me so much.

best regards
Ben

So after all the thoughts I’m taking it I’ll not be banned. That’s good.

As you have a hatred of me anyway this would of been a biased venture from the outset.

you already took away my free speech from the North Korea thread as it is max.

yes I get you don’t like me, but again rather than flex your banning muscles how about reaching out to me via email or PM And maybe start a discussion?

if you hated me that much then I’d happily have a phonecall and discuss why. Your bias and dislike of me you have stated yourself many times, and as a so called liberal mod it’s not fair, I’ve never called you max, yet you can call me a racist, a bigot and lowest of the low with no response, kind of bullying isn’t it?...

It’s easy to virtue signal about certain subjects when they don’t affect you or your family or those close to you.

not Flaming or wherever you internet people call it when adults have issue, I’d just like to know where I stand here please, and furthermore I’d love to have a open conversation with you regarding why you hate me and disagree with me so much.

best regards
Ben
"then I’d happily have a phonecall and discuss why"

You might wanna reverse the charges Benjamin. Could get expensive

It's thread like this that make me want to shut down the political rant section of the forum. I am f*&^ing fed up with the tit for tat racist bullshit that I am seeing here.

From here on out, if you want to have a political discussion - fine. Once you start bring race and bigoted comments in. It's toast.

I try to be as tolerant as possible. But some of you just take the piss. If you want to have a political rant where you can talk trash about refugees, or people of color, gays, or whatever the fuck - start your own website.

What is Barnpot Barnier on? He has stated

'Obviously the UK will recover the full sovereignty of their waters. No doubt. No question.

'But it is another thing, another story, speaking about the fish which are inside those waters.'

What :confused: How on earth does he work that one out?

The OECD states " An Exclusive Economic Zone is a concept adopted at the Third United Nations Cmference on The Law Of The Sea (1982) whereby a coastal state assumes juristiction over the exploration of marine resourses in its adjacent section of the continental shelf,taken to be a band extending 200 miles from the shore"

So what Barmy Barnier is stating is utter nonsense.

Furthermore,if what he is attempting to claim is lawful- fishing in English waters- where valid then he is advocating the pillaging of all other Euro member states waters by any Country that wants too.
Or does it only extend to EU Countries fishing in UK waters?
What he is saying is unlawful

What a pollock eh?

What is Barnpot Barnier on? He has stated

'Obviously the UK will recover the full sovereignty of their waters. No doubt. No question.

'But it is another thing, another story, speaking about the fish which are inside those waters.'

What :confused: How on earth does he work that one out?

The OECD states " An Exclusive Economic Zone is a concept adopted at the Third United Nations Cmference on The Law Of The Sea (1982) whereby a coastal state assumes juristiction over the exploration of marine resourses in its adjacent section of the continental shelf,taken to be a band extending 200 miles from the shore"

So what Barmy Barnier is stating is utter nonsense.

Furthermore,if what he is attempting to claim is lawful- fishing in English waters- where valid then he is advocating the pillaging of all other Euro member states waters by any Country that wants too.
Or does it only extend to EU Countries fishing in UK waters?
What he is saying is unlawful

What a pollock eh?
But the remainers will defend everything he says, just like they defended him saying the EU will have done a good job if they give us a deal that would make no other member want to leave the 'club'

Do these sound like the utterances of someone who has democracy in the forefront of their mind??

But the remainers will defend everything he says, just like they defended him saying the EU will have done a good job if they give us a deal that would make no other member want to leave the 'club'

Do these sound like the utterances of someone who has democracy in the forefront of their mind??
I think that Barmy Barnier is planning on modifying submarines with fishing nets to get around any obstacles.
When was the EU ever about democracy?

If you think about it in the long run the EU is an obsession about transnational territory, and having power over it and the resources therein. Therefore they're setting their stall out early and making a permanent claim for our fish now :mad:
It seems that given the UK's stance that is never going to happen. The UK paid into the EU infrastructure for decades what with their multi billion pound offices and headquarters which we are going to give them without even taking away a trinket for nostalgic purposes.

Let's avail ourselves with the facts of the case :)

ARTICLE LINK -

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Yes it's a bit of a dull and technical read, (as is the case with so many Brexit realities once you strip away the jingoistic chest-thumping), but it also contains the truth of the situation.

Beyond that however, fishing is, if you'll pardon the pun, such a red herring. It represents about 0.12% of the UK economy and employs less than 0.1% national workforce.

Plus, even in a TAKING BACK FULL CONTROL OF OUR WATERS scenario and catching all the fish, we'd still be fucked on selling it (see the analysis linked above).

In terms of stuff we should be getting frothed up about when it comes to Brexit, fishing rights are a totemic willy-waving issue that in the grand scheme of things, doesn't much matter.

1599215084132.png

There's another decent read here that explains the whole subject in substantial detail.

As ever, it's a very complex situation that can't be summed up in catchy soundbites.

1599221090517.png

:laugh: 23 pages - basically it's a book - you want us to read, about the politics of fish :p

barnier:

“The British used a tactic – and to me it is a bad tactic: postpone to the end the issues that matter most for the Europeans: One, fisheries; two, [a] supervision [structure to ensure enforcement]; and three, the level playing field. They didn’t want to cope with them until now and they are the three issues that are currently stalled.”

And what if they remain stalled? I asked. What would be the consequences of a no-deal?

“In any case, there will now be controls at the borders. But in case of a no-deal, we’ll put tariffs and quotas on their products. And they will put tariffs and quotas on ours. That is why Brexit has no sense... Brexit is a lose-lose situation and we are in a situation of damage limitation anyhow. In four years, nobody has ever been able to show me the advantages of Brexit. Nobody.”

--------

I can think of quite a few advantages, £10 billion tax money sliding over to the EU for one. 'supervision: structure to ensure enforcement' :rolleyes:

Where's the level playing field with china? The majority of consumer products for sale in the uk and eu are made in china/far east. Dressed up humbug.

Last edited:
:laugh: 23 pages - basically it's a book - you want us to read, about the politics of fish :p

With all due respect mack, that's how one comes to understand the complexities and trade-offs inherent in a process such as Brexit.

Turns out there's far more to it than slogans on the side of a bus and Daily Express headlines.

I know you know that already, but sometimes the correct answer to a question honestly is, 'It's really quite long-winded and complex, this 23 page document explains it'.

barnier:

“The British used a tactic – and to me it is a bad tactic: postpone to the end the issues that matter most for the Europeans: One, fisheries; two, [a] supervision [structure to ensure enforcement]; and three, the level playing field. They didn’t want to cope with them until now and they are the three issues that are currently stalled.”

And what if they remain stalled? I asked. What would be the consequences of a no-deal?

“In any case, there will now be controls at the borders. But in case of a no-deal, we’ll put tariffs and quotas on their products. And they will put tariffs and quotas on ours. That is why Brexit has no sense... Brexit is a lose-lose situation and we are in a situation of damage limitation anyhow. In four years, nobody has ever been able to show me the advantages of Brexit. Nobody.”

--------

I can think of quite a few advantages, £10 billion tax money sliding over to the EU for one. 'supervision: structure to ensure enforcement' :rolleyes:

Where's the level playing field with china? The majority of consumer products for sale in the uk and eu are made in china/far east. Dressed up humbug.

He's right though, there are no advantages to Brexit, and it is just a damage limitation exercise.

I don't understand why anyone is even remotely expecting Barnier to be anything other than a relatively robust negotiator, that's literally his job. Fisheries is a totemic issue on both sides of the debate though, truth be told I think the EU are leaning into it more than they need to, and so are we.

As for economic advantages to Brexit, as has already been noted, multiple times, and verified from multiple external sources, Brexit has already the cost UK more than its entire lifetime EU contributions, and that's before you even factor in what we got out of being a member, so £10 billion is, unbelievably but truthfully, pretty small beer at this stage.

I've done the LPF stuff several times already mack, so I'll refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answers on the topic :)

Fisheries is a totemic issue on both sides of the debate though, truth be told I think the EU are leaning into it more than they need to, and so are we.

I agree it seems to have taken on a significance beyond what I expected.

For the European Union, the fear is that not reaching a deal that favors its fishermen would devastate coastal countries that deeply depend on access to British waters. The Commission, therefore, declared during a briefing with EU diplomats last week that there must be a “direct link” between trade negotiations and fisheries talks.

The U.K., meanwhile, has turned the issue into one of national sovereignty — a symbolic way for the country to assert its new independence from the bloc its people voted to leave

“Fisheries has always been politically important,” said Emiel Brouckaert, director of Belgian fishing industry group Rederscentrale. It’s symbolic. Just like Ireland, it’s about territory, and granting each other access to each other territories.”

^ I wasn't too far wrong with my post yesterday. But it sounds like a powerful bargaining chip if the fear about EU coastal countries being devastated is correct. [belgium and netherland's fishermen seem to be the most likely affected]:

The water that is in front of our coast is basically a post stamp. Two-thirds of our fishing happens in U.K. waters,” said Johan Nooitgedagt, president of the Dutch Fishermen’s Association. “You can imagine the mood among Dutch fishermen is very bad, as it’s theoretically possible that U.K. waters would be closed off.”

-------------

Has brexit cost the uk govt more than £40 billion in lost tax receipts? [2016-20 assuming we stopped paying the money ]

And we've been trading as normal with the EU for the last 4 years afaik, so trade should have remained similar to before?

It is a guaranteed £10 billion every year the uk govt now does not need to send to the EU, and I doubt they will have given members a discount for the covid lockdown effect on their economies.

Last edited:
PROMISE - Take Back Control, Sunlit Uplands, Easiest Trade Deal Ever, We Hold All The Cards, Etc

REALITY - We're going to turn your front garden into a lorry park by government diktat

1599240095365.png

I think the refusal of Johnson's government to extend the transition will go down in history as a truly monumental act of political folly.

(If you click on the tweet below you will see the links to the articles in the pics.)

1599251839241.png
1599251855041.png
1599251868805.png
1599251885812.png
1599251902320.png

I think the monumental folly was two fold, theresa may, a tory remainer, trying to negotiate a weak brexit plan that at least a third of her own party didn't agree with, then having to rely on labour votes; and liberal/left MPs in parliament trying their best over three years to reverse and cancel brexit.

4 years should've been ample time for the boffins in the civil service to come up with workable solutions in the event of quotas and tariffs for EU trade.

I'm sorry but some carparks being laid near shipping ports is not the end of the world, we're tearing up ancient woodland to build HS2.

Blimey this is a bit of a 180 by the EU member states, barnier to be sidelined? [and frosty]

European Union is set to 'sideline chief negotiator Michel Barnier' to crack Brexit deadlock as 'heads of member states take over'

An EU diplomat told the
Mrs von der Leyen is expected to 'set the scene to sideline Barnier and [the UK's David] Frost to find a high level political solution'.

I wonder if this will be on anyone's Christmas shopping list? :eek:

Pinched from the latest Private Eye :)

View attachment 140949
Lol...good job that was Private Eye as when @Playford7 said that in jest he was pilloried.
What does Farage do now anyway?

I see there were demonstrations today in Dover at the government's failure to stop the illegal economic migrants from crossing the channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Meister Ratings

Back