Brexit - whats the difference.....

Well we will have to see, going to take longer, remainers like the conservative chancellor(s) frequently made doom-laden forecasts, so far they don't look like occurring. But as J.redwood reminded the Govt, they need to work on getting the brexit wins going, areas where we could now differentiate from the EU.

This John Redwood you mean?

1611842141042.png

Oh.

1611842162693.png

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Amazon have stopped selling alcohol to Northern Ireland
Yip , NI is becoming harder to trade with for the rest of the UK, and from personal knowledge I know that some manufacturers/suppliers have made a decision not to supply into NI because of the additional red tape.
Well done Arlene, that was a smart move not to make NI the hub of both the UK and Europe.
But unfortunately this is democracy at work, once the vote was to leave the only option was to respect that decision and leave.

30 dec

Speaking to colleagues in the Commons on Wednesday, he said: "We stand on the threshold of independence day so bring on the measures.

"I do have a couple of worries about this agreement. The first is over fishing....

"I also worry about the position in Northern Ireland. To what extent is our sovereignty damaged or impaired by the special relationships and the special provisions of the Withdrawal Act?

"I thought they were going to be changed in this latest agreement with the EU. Will the Government spell out more detail of what limitations there are to our power to be one United Kingdom."

According to the BBC 30 dec report on the brexit deal vote:

"Only two Tory MPs failed to support the deal - Brexiteers John Redwood and Owen Paterson abstaining."

IMO John redwood maybe many things but a liar is not one, as MPs go he's pretty principled and logical, though you may not like his logic.

That's all very noble, he was so concerned about it that he..... abstained, when it getting through the Commons at that point was a slam dunk.

Maybe he should have paid more attention to the consequences of Brexit when he was campaigning for the hardest version possible, which one way or another was always going to end up throwing NI under the bus.

It's a bit late in the day for him to abstain on the final vote when every single action he'd taken up to that point pretty much helped guarantee the outcome he now claims to be upset about.

This is one of the (many) problems with Brexiters and the Leave movement in general, they only ever have the lightbulb moment when it's far too late and the damage has already been done. (See the many UK fishermen who now realise, in a genuine tragedy, that in voting for Leave they voted for their own bankruptcy and extinction.)

The Brexit we've ended up with is, in many regards, exactly the Brexit that Redwood always said he wanted, he just never seemed to understand, or at least cared to make the effort to understand, what it was he was campaigning for.

I mean, this is from 2017, so it's not exactly fresh information.

1611859213310.png

That's all very noble, he was so concerned about it that he..... abstained, when it getting through the Commons at that point was a slam dunk.

Maybe he should have paid more attention to the consequences of Brexit when he was campaigning for the hardest version possible, which one way or another was always going to end up throwing NI under the bus.

It's a bit late in the day for him to abstain on the final vote when every single action he'd taken up to that point pretty much helped guarantee the outcome he now claims to be upset about.

This is one of the (many) problems with Brexiters and the Leave movement in general, they only ever have the lightbulb moment when it's far too late and the damage has already been done. (See the many UK fishermen who now realise, in a genuine tragedy, that in voting for Leave they voted for their own bankruptcy and extinction.)

The Brexit we've ended up with is, in many regards, exactly the Brexit that Redwood always said he wanted, he just never seemed to understand, or at least cared to make the effort to understand, what it was he was campaigning for.

I mean, this is from 2017, so it's not exactly fresh information.

View attachment 149782

Probably because he agreed with the other parts of the bill, it's up to every individual MP to make that call, without going through everything redwood has said about theresa may's deal and the boris rewrite, I cannot reply to your attack on him, and I'm not going to waste my time, we all have MPs we don't like.

:)

So we'll chalk him down to being another completely inconsistent Brexit faux-intellectual windbag who extensively campaigned for something without really understanding what it was and is now moaning about the consequences.

Maybe he believed all the Project Fear stuff about Breixt. He even wrote some of it.

:)

So we'll chalk him down to being another completely inconsistent Brexit faux-intellectual windbag who extensively campaigned for something without really understanding what it was and is now moaning about the consequences.

Maybe he believed all the Project Fear stuff about Breixt. He even wrote some of it.
Well, having the foresight to invest taxpayer's money in a vaccine, order it in May, expedite the testing procedures and trials the UK has got something right. As opposed to the EU, who waited another 3 months before ordering the vaccines, so much so that individual countries ordered their own (Hungary, Germany). Now the EU are getting a shellacking from member states, like Spain who today ran out of vaccine.

So they think a non-member like the UK will send their own supplies manufactured here. Oh, great benevolent super state, how you have failed!
FUCK-OFF!

You see, when it comes to something strategic that requires planning and imagination, the EU bureaucrats are exposed for exactly what they are - ponderous, parasitic wine-quaffing stooges. Nice we aren't a vassal state any more....:lolup::cheers::lolup:

Well, having the foresight to invest taxpayer's money in a vaccine, order it in May, expedite the testing procedures and trials the UK has got something right. As opposed to the EU, who waited another 3 months before ordering the vaccines, so much so that individual countries ordered their own (Hungary, Germany). Now the EU are getting a shellacking from member states, like Spain who today ran out of vaccine.

So they think a non-member like the UK will send their own supplies manufactured here. Oh, great benevolent super state, how you have failed!
FUCK-OFF!

You see, when it comes to something strategic that requires planning and imagination, the EU bureaucrats are exposed for exactly what they are - ponderous, parasitic wine-quaffing stooges. Nice we aren't a vassal state any more....:lolup::cheers::lolup:
@chopley currently melting down

FUCK-OFF!

The EU's vaccination program is a shame, no question about it. It is understandable that the English care about their own people first. Of course, I expect the same from the EU. I hope the vaccines in the EU will be confiscated and further exports to England, for example, will be prevented so that we can take care of our own people first.

We in the EU are very happy that those nonstop weeping
and demanding Brits are out. It is the best that could have happened to the EU. They have only tried to sabotage everything for the past 10 years anyway. They were like sand in the machine.
Now we can concentrate on the important things: an EU army, development of the poorer members of the "club", transferring further powers to BRUSSELS. And of course defending our sm against cheeky "third countries".
And all of this without the nagging, completely overestimating themselves and now globally totally meaningless Brits. :)
Glad they are out. They've annoyed us long enough.

:lolup::cheers::lolup:

Like mentioned, other countries also made different agreements with companies who develop these vaccines, naturally as EU at least not yet is country, it's not that fast and flexible that these "unelected bureacrats" in Bryssels would make same kind of agreements behalf of whole EU without getting agreement from member countries. But anyway, happy that UK is hopefully getting vaccines, these seem to be quite needed there but finding it bit weird to compare EU and UK vaccination orders, maybe it's more normal way of thinking there in UK that there is some mysteric UK vs EU fight going on, which probably feel bit like it due to brexit but comparing these two like two countries is just quite absurd.

But happy that there are some happy moments in this thread as well :) Still don't see how EU affected to this, all countries had their opportunities to make some deals, making one order to whole EU of course was one quite logical step but naturally it's not with current legislation can't be fast as any single country, therefore some made own arrangements.

Currently bigger issue seem to be getting enough these vaccines, thikn nobody haven't yet secured all needed amount to be for sure delivered on time. Also fully agree that worse struggling third nations should get them first and good UK does. For pandemic itself it doesn't make big difference how situation is in country level until it still widely exist in world.

But maybe Chopley can add thiss vaccine thing to positive changes of brexit list? Even though it doesn't really have much to do with EU or brexit but could be counted just that don't have to repeat about that empty list :)

The EU's vaccination program is a shame, no question about it. It is understandable that the English care about their own people first. Of course, I expect the same from the EU. I hope the vaccines in the EU will be confiscated and further exports to England, for example, will be prevented so that we can take care of our own people first.

We in the EU are very happy that those nonstop weeping
and demanding Brits are out. It is the best that could have happened to the EU. They have only tried to sabotage everything for the past 10 years anyway. They were like sand in the machine.
Now we can concentrate on the important things: an EU army, development of the poorer members of the "club", transferring further powers to BRUSSELS. And of course defending our sm against cheeky "third countries".
And all of this without the nagging, completely overestimating themselves and now globally totally meaningless Brits. :)
Glad they are out. They've annoyed us long enough.

:lolup::cheers::lolup:
Ironic post, considering it was Thatcher who was the main force in creating the EU free market that you see today, deregulated. The one that you love so much. So did we until the politics took over and we had a central bank, parliament, court etc.
As for vaccination, we can make enough doses here anyway with 3 plants, AZ have one in Belgium which is currently sending much of its output to er.. the UK who ordered it first.
EU army - I'd love to see that, considering (aside from the UK) only Greece and Latvia maintain 2% or more GDP expenditure on defence, as NATO requires. They'd probably need a committee to approve things before they picked up a gun, which would then be challenged at the Strasbourg Court, before needing signing off in a divided EU Parliament - and that's before they even get the right paperwork printed off...:laugh::laugh:

So it looks like the EU is the first to decide they can break the Northern Ireland protocol, definitely a case of double standards when they fumed about the UK government bringing in a law allowing them to change the protocol if needed.

Well that's a shady move, and one I can't condone or agree with.

One could argue the EU previously held the moral high ground when it came to NI and the NI Protocol, but they've pretty much just set fire to that.

It's a shame to see the whole thing descend into such acrimony so early on, we've not even been out of the EU a month and we're fighting over vaccines, for fuck's sake.

The UK has trash-talked and threatened the EU on a regular basis over the last five years so you could just say the EU is pushing back in that regard, but what a sorry sight on the international political stage.

There really are no winners in this, it's just losses all round.

Well that's a shady move, and one I can't condone or agree with.

One could argue the EU previously held the moral high ground when it came to NI and the NI Protocol, but they've pretty much just set fire to that.

It's a shame to see the whole thing descend into such acrimony so early on, we've not even been out of the EU a month and we're fighting over vaccines, for fuck's sake.

The UK has trash-talked and threatened the EU on a regular basis over the last five years so you could just say the EU is pushing back in that regard, but what a sorry sight on the international political stage.

There really are no winners in this, it's just losses all round.
Agree 100%, both sides should honour the agreements they signed and that includes the UK not running roughshod over the agreements and unilaterally changing the NI protocol at any stage.
Reading the heavily redacted contract that was published, AZ did say best endeavour and I suppose the legal hawks can interpret that in anyway they want.
I think for once Boris did the right thing, he got the scientists reading the test data as soon as they had access and he made sure that if approval for the vaccine was appropriate that it was granted as quickly as reasonably possible. That head start has enabled the UK to get good access and at the moment they are doing a decent job in getting it into peoples arms.

Funny thing is that in eu, nobody cares anymore about (formerly Great) Britain, while british newspapers are full of stories and nonstories about eu and brexit every single day.
UK is more and more seen as the very strange cousin, where everybody thinks: "This ugly guy cannot be part of our family, it is just not possible."
BTW that's not only since 2016, more like the past 20 years.

People see it like a pain in the arse.
It feels great when you get rid of it.

I am an eu loving hardcore Brexiteer. No deal would have been my choice :)

Funny thing is that in eu, nobody cares anymore about (formerly Great) Britain, while british newspapers are full of stories and nonstories about eu and brexit every single day.
UK is more and more seen as the very strange cousin, where everybody thinks: "This ugly guy cannot be part of our family, it is just not possible."
BTW that's not only since 2016, more like the past 20 years.

People see it like a pain in the arse.
It feels great when you get rid of it.

I am an eu loving hardcore Brexiteer. No deal would have been my choice :)

British newspapers are full of stories of one of the most talked about happenings in their Country, of which Britain itself just so happens to be the instigator of. Shocking revelation. Never saw that one coming.
Now, please excuse me while I go cry because someone I've never met, who lives in Germany (a Country i do care about) has just told me that he doesn't care about my Country.

fo.jpg

British newspapers are full of stories of one of the most talked about happenings in their Country, of which Britain itself just so happens to be the instigator of. Shocking revelation. Never saw that one coming.
Now, please excuse me while I go cry because someone I've never met, who lives in Germany (a Country i do care about) has just told me that he doesn't care about my Country.

View attachment 149819
It wasn't meant as personal attack.

However, how do you want to pay? Neteller, PayPal? I mean 100 bucks are 100 bucks... ;-}
Screenshot_20210129_215748.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back