Big story of the year???

I can't believe that anyone is taking this seriously. 15% monthly rate of return? Promises to grow an initial $20,000 investment to $80,000 in a couple of months? And he is surprised that he got scammed? What do you want to bet.....the investment was GUARANTEED not to lose money.

Hellooooooo....look up Ponzi scheme in the dictionary!

Well, I'm still flogging myself over this. For what it's worth, that was $20,000 to $80,000 from April 2006 to end of January 2007...so technikally that's 10 months. Ponzi's no Fonzie...that's for sure!

Oh my! That would be a big story............hopefully you won't have to name and shame.:eek2:
Actually, he may not want to "name and shame". If he decides to pursue legal action, probably the less said in a public forum the better.

Then again, if this was a classic Ponzi scheme, the likelihood of getting his money back is practically nil (sorry Westland Bowl). The therapeutic value of "outing" this person might be all he has left!

The offender in question could go into court saying he's guilty as hell, but argue that it was for gambling purposes. The judge would throw it out faster than you know what.

The offender in question could go into court saying he's guilty as hell, but argue that it was for gambling purposes. The judge would throw it out faster than you know what.
Completely untrue. If you are defrauded, it doesn't matter what the money was used for. That is irrelevant. People go to jail all the time that have embezzled money, or stolen money, to support a drug habit, gambling habit, etc. One high profile example is the former Ohio State quarterback Art Schlichter. He's in jail right now. He ripped people off left and right to support his compulsive gambling, and that didn't get him any slack. Not to get off track, but Google his name if you want to read some eye opening stories about how compulsive gambling can ruin your life.

Uh oh

CORRECT That is a sure bet.

I have a terrrible feeling I know who it is. Whether Cat tells or not I'm afraid I'm stuck with the knowledge......but I'm going to keep my mouth shut, in any case.

Actually, he may not want to "name and shame". If he decides to pursue legal action, probably the less said in a public forum the better.

Then again, if this was a classic Ponzi scheme, the likelihood of getting his money back is practically nil (sorry Westland Bowl). The therapeutic value of "outing" this person might be all he has left!

I don't think Ponzi had anything to do with it. Besides, an outing would be far more disastrous than simply coughing up the cash.

CORRECT That is a sure bet.

I have a terrrible feeling I know who it is. Whether Cat tells or not I'm afraid I'm stuck with the knowledge......but I'm going to keep my mouth shut, in any case.

I'm no lawyer but I would have guessed a judge wouldn't let somone off just because his scheme involved gambling.

You can steal a little old lady's life savings and that's ok as long as your con involved gambling??

Completely untrue. If you are defrauded, it doesn't matter what the money was used for. That is irrelevant. People go to jail all the time that have embezzled money, or stolen money, to support a drug habit, gambling habit, etc.

This was an investment, not theft. A verbal and/or written deal was struck. When you invest money and lose it to the investment it may or may not be fraud; we don't know those details. A judge will look at the nature of the investment. If it involves an agreed method by both parties and if that includes Online Gambling, its out the door like jumpin jack flash. If it is determined the investment method or type was not known by both parties then fraud may be established and criminal charges could be made. Even civil action to recover all or part of the money is possible.

This was an investment, not theft. A verbal and/or written deal was struck. When you invest money and lose it to the investment it may or may not be fraud; we don't know those details. A judge will look at the nature of the investment. If it involves an agreed method by both parties and if that includes Online Gambling, its out the door like jumpin jack flash. If it is determined the investment method or type was not known by both parties then fraud may be established and criminal charges could be made. Even civil action to recover all or part of the money is possible.
I see what you are saying now. If the money was invested with the full knowledge that it would be used for illegal (gambling) purposes, then there is a possibility that there wouldn't be a case. It would not be black and white, however. The issue would become whether it was B&M gambling, which is clearly not illegal, or online gambling. Even then, technically speaking, the recent law does not make online gambling illegal per se.

Even then, technically speaking, the recent law does not make online gambling illegal per se.

True. But the relevant issue is not whether one or both parties here were gambling online; but more damaging to the case, is that a Federal Law was broken in the act of gambling online. This method and type of the Investment would be on very thin ice with a judge because of this aspect of the case. It is true the Law was not violated by the Gamblers but by the gaming business that excepted their deposit. The relevant issue to a judge, here, is that a Federal Law must be violated to accomplish the investment method and type. Further complicating this, is whether the judge would scrutinize the case members for having knowledge of this fact.

As to the B&m, I don't think that's the case here with Individuals involved. Not if I know what I think I know. I don't know if it was a Gambling Investment type either. Assuming it was a B&m Investment method, and both parties were aware of all agreed upon methods and type of investment; unless there was a direct violation of the Verbal/Written contract, and it could be proved, it would be unlikely the defendant would be liable for the loss or prosecuted for any kind of fraud. In a case like this if he still had possession of the money it might be possible for the judge to void the contract and order the defendant to return the money to the Plaintiff. That would be one lucky plaintiff in this case!

Yep, ain't I the forever hopeful one.

Not even Casiniomeister himself? (gasp)....In reality, yep, I wished King Solomon had included that in his Proverbs.

As this was my mother's money, makes it a bit harder to take.

Westland Bowl, "your mothers money" ? Jeeze man, that just ain't right, what were you thinking when you decided to use your mothers money ? :mad:

If you don't get this money back then the right thing for you to do would be to get a second or even a third job and get your mom paid back man....that just ain't right..,,:mad:

Westland Bowl, "your mothers money" ? Jeeze man, that just ain't right, what were you thinking when you decided to use your mothers money ? :mad:

If you don't get this money back then the right thing for you to do would be to get a second or even a third job and get your mom paid back man....that just ain't right..,,:mad:

I'm hoping by "mother's money", he means an inheritance of some sort...If not, he could be in legal trouble as well.

I'm hoping by "mother's money", he means an inheritance of some sort...If not, he could be in legal trouble as well.

Don't think it was inheritance Winbig based on what he posted in the OPU thread, here's the excerpt:

I gave a part of my mother's money to a person who promised a substantial rate of return each month. After that person paid about a 15% return in the first month, I had that person to keep the monthly disbursements to make the principal grow. After several months, I requested a disbursement at the end of September because my mother's cash would be getting low.

To the above two immediate posts.....My mother was living with me as we were trying to get her healed from strokes and a heart attack, trying to help her regain her independence. Since I didn't know that Medicaid would help with nursing expenses while she was at home with me, I was looking for a better investment deal than the pitiful 5% or so interest that banks were paying. I wanted to keep my mother with me as long as I can, sooooo .....

But she has passed away on December 29th. I tried to get this person to pay SOMETHING so I can pay for funeral expenses but ......well, I'm getting ahead of myself...it ain't Thursday yet.

I don't understand about how using my mother's money can get me in legal trouble though.

To the above two immediate posts.....My mother was living with me as we were trying to get her healed from strokes and a heart attack, trying to help her regain her independence. Since I didn't know that Medicaid would help with nursing expenses while she was at home with me, I was looking for a better investment deal than the pitiful 5% or so interest that banks were paying. I wanted to keep my mother with me as long as I can, sooooo .....

But she has passed away on December 29th. I tried to get this person to pay SOMETHING so I can pay for funeral expenses but ......well, I'm getting ahead of myself...it ain't Thursday yet.

I don't understand about how using my mother's money can get me in legal trouble though.

Westland Bowl sorry to hear about your mom's passing and I hope everything works out for you in the end.....but take this as a life lesson and learn from it so you never make a crazy mistake like this again especially with a loved one's hard earned money.

Sorry to hear of that...Always rough losing a parent.

I was just assuming that you were taking it from her account. My bad.

First and foremost, my condolences to you on the passing of your mom. I know these are tough times for you, but I also know that you will find the strength to get through this:thumbsup:

Now regarding your most unfortunate situation with this absolutely cold hearted "scheister", I think I may know who it is, as this person also tried to "assist" me by offering their services for a rather inflated fee.

While I agree that your legal options may be somewhat limited, there is strength in numbers, so I wouldn't wait too much longer to publically confront them here and elsewhere. At the very least, this sorry soul won't be able to rip off others who may be at an emotional low in their life.

Keep us posted - and God Bless.

???

Westland Bowl/Catman Dude...

You've posted a lot of innuendo and titled the thread "Big story of the year???"... yet you've posted NO actual facts or specifics regarding this alleged "scam".

You first posted about this on Jan.17th... more than 8 days ago.

Unless you plan on running this like a soap opera... post some relevent proof of your accusations. If you don't want to post the actual name of the individual you are accusing of scamming you... at least post the actual details surrounding it.

Mrracetrack,

I was giving the person a week to pay up and that ended yesterday. I'm finishing up my posting tonight. It'll be here!

Insider info???

Cipher has the blackjack website thing - and he posts in both places... Ooooooooooh ;)

Westland - is it you personally that this is relating to (I.e are you Catman Dude?)..

Dunno the background etc but I hope it all works out for the best anyhow! :)

Slotster,

You are honestly going to call somebody out based on the fact that they have a "website thing," and "posts in both places?" That is a bold accusation to make. I don't buy it. What do you know that the rest of this forum does not????

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back