Baby Fur Seals

Bullajami

Dormant account
webmeister
I just got a warning at another forum. A member posted that he was doing really well and I replied, "You're clubbing it like a baby fur seal." Apparently this silly expression of enthusiasm was offensive to a few other members and at least one of the moderators.

WTF? Is it my imagination or is that ridiculously sensitive?

Some people (mostly Eskimos) do that to survive in the Great White North. Clubbing is inexpensive and efficient...it's just like hunting, really. Getting offended for mentionning it or joking about it is ridiculous.

pic_156960001182301625.jpeg

I just got a warning at another forum. A member posted that he was doing really well and I replied, "You're clubbing it like a baby fur seal." Apparently this silly expression of enthusiasm was offensive to a few other members and at least one of the moderators.

WTF? Is it my imagination or is that ridiculously sensitive?

What do you expect when saying that? I can think of sicker things to say but I won't. Take it as a guide and renew the batteries in your geiger meter :)

Some people (mostly Eskimos) do that to survive in the Great White North. Clubbing is inexpensive and efficient...it's just like hunting, really. Getting offended for mentionning it or joking about it is ridiculous.

View attachment 41343
Clubbing in the UK is also mostly inexpensive and efficient and just like hunting it achieves a goal.

We use a self sufficient system here though and once we have what we wanted from the beast we throw them back into the pond for later use.

I for one must have clubbed the same beast 6 times over the last year with little bloodshed (well apart from that one time, bad timing of the month I guess), I think the Canadian model needs review.

Joke over?

I suppose with Facebook and the rest of the internet teaching people about the cruel things people do to animals for fun, it's a sensitive topic - even if it's meant as a joke.

There's an old saying, "There's more than one way to skin a cat" and when people say that it doesn't actually mean that they would - or would even like to - actually skin a cat. All it means is that there's more than one way to do something, but if someone hasn't heard that saying before I'm sure it would be offensive. And some people find it offensive even if they HAVE heard the saying before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back