Anyone want to opine?

cynthial

Boo
I just came across this news story and it seems to me it is quite a big deal but it is not garnering much press. I can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

Career lawyers overruled on voting case
Black Panthers had wielded weapons, blocked polls

Justice Department political appointees overruled career lawyers and ended a civil complaint accusing three members of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense of wielding a nightstick and intimidating voters at a Philadelphia polling place last Election Day, according to documents and interviews.

The incident - which gained national attention when it was captured on videotape and distributed on YouTube - had prompted the government to sue the men, saying they violated the 1965 Voting Rights Act by scaring would-be voters with the weapon, racial slurs and military-style uniforms.

Career lawyers pursued the case for months, including obtaining an affidavit from a prominent 1960s civil rights activist who witnessed the confrontation and described it as "the most blatant form of voter intimidation" that he had seen, even during the voting rights crisis in Mississippi a half-century ago.

The lawyers also had ascertained that one of the three men had gained access to the polling place by securing a credential as a Democratic poll watcher, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The Washington Times.

The career Justice lawyers were on the verge of securing sanctions against the men earlier this month when their superiors ordered them to reverse course, according to interviews and documents. The court had already entered a default judgment against the men on April 20.

A Justice Department spokesman on Thursday confirmed that the agency had dropped the case, dismissing two of the men from the lawsuit with no penalty and winning an order against the third man that simply prohibits him from bringing a weapon to a polling place in future elections.

The department was "successful in obtaining an injunction that prohibits the defendant who brandished a weapon outside a Philadelphia polling place from doing so again," spokesman Alejandro Miyar said. "Claims were dismissed against the other defendants based on a careful assessment of the facts and the law."

The judgement actually reads " That same day, the department asked for the default judgment against King Samir Shabazz, but limited the penalty to an order that he not display a weapon within 100 feet of any open polling location on any election day in the city of Philadelphia until Nov. 15, 2012.

Mr. Miyar declined to elaborate about any internal dispute between career and political officials, saying only that the department is "committed to the vigorous prosecution of those who intimidate, threaten or coerce anyone exercising his or her sacred right to vote."

Court records reviewed by The Times show that career Justice lawyers were seeking a default judgment and penalties against the three men as recently as May 5, before abruptly ending their pursuit 10 days later.

People directly familiar with the case, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because of fear of retribution, said career lawyers in two separate Justice offices had recommended proceeding to default judgment before political superiors overruled them.......

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Watch the video and tell me if you would have been intimated by this. I sure as hell would have been.

And this bit from an editorial in the Washington Times describes the Justice Departments "legal" argument for dropping the charges.

The explanation for moving to dismiss the case is shocking. According to the Department of Justice: "These same Defendants have made no appearance and have filed no pleadings with the Court. Nor have they otherwise raised any other defenses to this action. Therefore, the United States has the right ... to dismiss voluntarily this action against the Defendants." In other words, because the defendants haven't tried to defend themselves, the Justice Department won't punish them.

Consider that the behavior of the defendants was so bad that witness Bartle Bull, a former Robert F. Kennedy organizer who did extensive legal work on behalf of black voters in Mississippi, testified it was "the most blatant form of voter discrimination I have encountered in my life."

Eric Eversole, a former litigation attorney with the Voting Section of the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department, told us: "It is truly unprecedented for the Voting Section to voluntarily dismiss a case of such blatant intimidation. The video speaks for itself."

We couldn't agree more. After the 2000 Presidential election, Democrats complained about voter intimidation in Florida by pointing to a police car that had been two miles away from a polling place. The police didn't do anything to anyone, but their presence was deemed sufficient to vaguely intimidate people en route to the polls. In this case, the New Black Panther Party actually blocked access to a poll.....

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone want to opine?

Unquote

Me Me Me, I want to opine!!!!

Not only are they simple thugs, they are stupid thugs. Maybe they got a free pass this time, BUT......

talk about a F*$%ed society we live in!! I am totally appalled this BS still goes on in this country. It's more like some of those "other countries" we read and hear about.

sigh.....

Now just lookie at what I have done. I made Jo swear. :D

Where were all the actual law dogs at when this was going on there on election day?

Where are all the Law Dogs now is what I would like to know! For the Justice Department to give these guys a pass is un-freakin-believable. But hey, at least they are demanding that the one guy not do it again until after 2012. :rolleyes:

They're probably devoting too many of their resources on taking out those nasty online gambling people :eek2:

So if it is in the Washington Post or reported at any time on Fox it must be "false" news. OK. :rolleyes: Here is CNN's take on it.

Justice Department drops charges in voter intimidation case

WASHINGTON (CNN) The Justice Department is dropping charges against the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense and two of its members who were allegedly involved in voter intimidation on Election Day at a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania polling station.

A Justice spokesman said the department decided to take this action after winning an injunction earlier this month against a third member, Samir Shabazz, that prevents him from ever brandishing a weapon outside a polling place again as he was charged with doing last November.

Shabazz was one of the three persons, along with the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, charged with voter intimidation last January in a lawsuit filed under the Voting Rights Act. Shabazz will not face any jail time or a fine.

Claims were dismissed against the other defendants based on a careful assessment of the facts and the law, DOJ spokesman Alejandro Miyar said in a statement. The Department is committed to the vigorous prosecution of those who intimidate, threaten or coerce anyone exercising his or her sacred right to vote."

On Election Day, two men in uniforms stood outside the polling station with one of them holding a police-style baton weapon and saying he was providing security there. Justice has alleged that person was Shabazz.

In January, Justice said in a criminal complaint that the chairman of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense confirmed its members were stationed at that location as part of a nationwide effort to deploy people at polling stations.

The Justice Department says The New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense is distinct from the well-known Black Panther Party of the 1960's.

UPDATE: Malik Shabaaz, chairman of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, told CNN Friday that Samir Shabaaz is no longer a member of the organization, and that his organization does not support voter intimidation.

"We want to thank President Obama and his administration for dropping charges against us that were vindictively brought by the Bush administration," Malik Shabaaz told CNN. "We don't condone any type of illegal activity at polling stations."

Shabaaz said the members in Pennsylvania were not acting under the direction of the national party.

(Updated at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 29 with New Black Panther Party response)

So if it is in the Washington Post or reported at any time on Fox it must be "false" news. OK.

Did I say it was false? No, I inferred the coverage was slanted, so I gave a link to a different take on the matter.

And I was referring to the Washington Times, not the Post. The Washington Post isn't owned by a cult leader who calls himself the second coming.

I am not much familiar with either paper so I had to google to see who the hell the owner is of the Washington Post. Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon. Point taken. Ugh! :oops: Then I googled the news story itself and oddly enough the Justice Department dropping the charges against the men who are actually videotaped at the polling station is not much reported on at all. Other than the articles already linked above and the CNN one which quotes the chairman of the Black Panther Party thanking the President for having the charges dropped there is not much more reported at all, anywhere. Mainstream media must find it a non-event. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back