Alzheimer's cure around the corner? Maybe :)

felicie

Dormant account
Half of me thinks it's about time and the other half wants to jump up and down with glee. I forget which. :oops: But seriously this is the most positive thing I've seen in ages on something that affects so many of us and it's totally exciting. :) (imo of course)

“Super memory” pill–and possibly an Alzheimer’s cure–could be around the corner
By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 4 hrs ago

Email
Print

(Damian Dovarganes/AP)
Scientists have isolated a gene in mice that works to give them "super memories" and reverses the course of several degenerative mental illnesses like Alzheimer's. And because of the similarity of mice and human brains, a powerful brain pill for humans may now not be far off.

The brains of both mice and humans release a gene known as PKR, which is triggered by the onset of Alzheimer's. But the newly discovered gene can apparently block PKR's release--a development that not only can reverse the course of degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer's, but induces a state of "super memory" in the mice it has been tested on.

"If we were to find an inhibitor, a molecule, a drug that will specifically block PKR, we should be able to do the same [in humans]," Maura Costa-Mattioli, who led the research study at Baylor University, told the Vancouver Sun. "And we did."

"We recognize that PKR plays a dual role, one in regulating simple everyday processes like the way neurons talk to each other [for] memory, but also has a stress response," added John Bell, a senior scientist at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute who also contributed to the study.

yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/super-memory-pill-possibly-alzheimer-cure-could-around-162010613.html

Half of me thinks it's about time and the other half wants to jump up and down with glee. I forget which. :oops: But seriously this is the most positive thing I've seen in ages on something that affects so many of us and it's totally exciting. :) (imo of course)

“Super memory” pill–and possibly an Alzheimer’s cure–could be around the corner
By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 4 hrs ago

Email
Print

(Damian Dovarganes/AP)
Scientists have isolated a gene in mice that works to give them "super memories" and reverses the course of several degenerative mental illnesses like Alzheimer's. And because of the similarity of mice and human brains, a powerful brain pill for humans may now not be far off.

The brains of both mice and humans release a gene known as PKR, which is triggered by the onset of Alzheimer's. But the newly discovered gene can apparently block PKR's release--a development that not only can reverse the course of degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer's, but induces a state of "super memory" in the mice it has been tested on.

"If we were to find an inhibitor, a molecule, a drug that will specifically block PKR, we should be able to do the same [in humans]," Maura Costa-Mattioli, who led the research study at Baylor University, told the Vancouver Sun. "And we did."

"We recognize that PKR plays a dual role, one in regulating simple everyday processes like the way neurons talk to each other [for] memory, but also has a stress response," added John Bell, a senior scientist at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute who also contributed to the study.

yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/super-memory-pill-possibly-alzheimer-cure-could-around-162010613.html

Hi-

Just wondered if you could re-check that url address. Tried clicking on it and it didn't lead anywhere. I am interested in the info as my father was recently diagnosed and is already beyond the initial stages.

Thanks for posting!

My grandpa had Alzheimer's and my dad was showing signs before he died too, so it's something that's of interest to me as well. This is the first thing I've ever seen that hinted at being able to actually reverse the degeneration once it had already started, so that's amazing news! :thumbsup:

EDIT: the correct URL (missing news)
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Last edited:
oh, up next nanorobots?
Im scared more of cancer than becoming senile :cool:

Well, if you have forgotten everthing you probably wont even remember you have cancer and continue to live happily.:D

I hope the cure is readily available soon as I detest forgetting my loved ones.

After taking care of Mom for the last 10 years (3 of which have been every little need) I had decided I would not put my daughter thru this no matter what so this would be a very welcomed option for me. :) I do believe however cancer should be less worrisome by now with all we know.

I feel for you felicie - my grandma and grandpa were still living in their house when my grandpa got really bad, and I have a sort of extended family member who's taken in her mom, plus I had a friend who ended up caring for her husband's mom.

It's a very difficult thing to handle, I hope you have someone who can spell you and give you a break once in awhile? My friend was lucky, her husband at the time was in the military so they were able to get a nurse to come in a couple times a week and let Jill have some time away from it without worrying about anything - it totally saved her sanity I think.

Hi.
Interesting.
Having worked in a Dementia assessment unit as a Senior nurse in the NHS for over 20 years now I know only to well the effects and consequences of this awful disease.
I really hope they find a way of helping those with Alzheimer's as long time cure sometime very soon.

Hi-

Just wondered if you could re-check that url address. Tried clicking on it and it didn't lead anywhere. I am interested in the info as my father was recently diagnosed and is already beyond the initial stages.

Thanks for posting!

Hi sorry for the delay but chayton got the correct one or the one that works anyway lol
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I feel for you felicie - my grandma and grandpa were still living in their house when my grandpa got really bad, and I have a sort of extended family member who's taken in her mom, plus I had a friend who ended up caring for her husband's mom.

It's a very difficult thing to handle, I hope you have someone who can spell you and give you a break once in awhile? My friend was lucky, her husband at the time was in the military so they were able to get a nurse to come in a couple times a week and let Jill have some time away from it without worrying about anything - it totally saved her sanity I think.

Thanks for getting the correct URL chayton. :) In my neighborhood on my street alone, there are at least 4 women with this disease or some form of dementia, the youngest being 60. What's so blasted frustrating to me is that my mom is so healthy in every other way whether it's her heart, teeth or bones.

She broke her shoulder last year when my sister 'gave me a break' and took her home to her house. I don't need breaks like that so I'll keep her here. lol (ya gotta laugh or go nuts believe me) but anyway, the doctor says it's amazing she can move her arm at all since I had a hard time keeping her in a sling etc. for 6 weeks as she spent the whole six weeks trying to get out of it. He said the arm didn't heal right and is basically disconnected from her shoulder it sounds like. yikes and yet she uses that arm and shoulder like nothing ever happened. Her teeth are so strong, she can chew nails and will if I don't keep my eye on her closely. You just wouldn't believe the things she will chew on. :eek2:

When she watches tv she lays flat on her back on the bed and holds her head up with her neck muscles so she can watch the tv over on the dresser. Have you tried that exercise lately? Omg my neck hurt so bad when I tried it one night. I only lasted a minute. She watches that way for hours or until she goes to sleep. It's not normal it's weird like she feels no pain or something. We jokingly call her wonder woman but I'm really not kidding when I say it.

But you know right now and for the last 4 1/2 months, we've had the most incredible and precious addition move in and his name is Caleb. Born at the end of July, he's made everything all better in this home again.;) What a beautiful little guy he is and the sweetest smile you've ever seen and that is the best lifesaver anyone dealing with this disease could ever get. Thanks for letting me share the bad and the good moments in my life. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back