dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
Having been listening to radio today, as well as reading forums, my blood has started boiling again due to common and stupid errors people keep making when talking or typing. I would like you to help me create a top-10 of grammatical grievances that you hear that really get on your nerves. I have heard and seen a total of four today:

1. 'Pacifically' (specifically)
2. 'Shouldn't of' or 'couldn't of' (shouldn't have)
3. 'your a fool' (you're a fool)
4. 'you know' interjected into every pause when someone is speaking and cannot create proper continuity.

:mad::mad:

I can't give you any examples of words since I'm not a native English speaker.

What I can say is that I love these kinds of threads because I always learn something new about your language.
I've never used a spellcheck myself so I forgive everyone that doesn't write correct ;)

What I can say is that I love these kinds of threads because I always learn something new about your language.
I've never used a spellcheck myself so I forgive everyone that doesn't write correct ;)

How about I give you some in swedish!

Väll
Igentligen
Imot

Also Dunover, my english is not my native so please have some mercy on me.

conversation fillers like 'um' and 'ya know what I mean', 'ya know what I'm sayin'
I'm 'yes, I get it, continue'

rouge for rogue

oh, there's a few; I probably correct people more often than is polite

Yes, people who cannot join sentences fluently and add those phrases in when they should take a breath. I'm like you in that I tend to correct people who should know better, but only usually in the 'shouldn't of' scenario because that really does get on my nerves.....:mad:

Needless to say I don't include non native English speakers in my annoyances list. In fact, many of you Scandinavians, Germans and Dutch speak English better than some of the natives do, because you are taught it properly and don't include the laziness which students here get away with all too much.

Scandinavian, German and Dutch are like English part of the Teutonic group of languages which may explain why they tend to pick it up and pronounce it better than native Latin speakers (French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese) do.

English is the most complex language on Earth, with over 300,000 words (not including old Latin Nouns) many of which have several different contextual meanings. 'Set' for example has 29 different uses and contexts. Despite that, it is quite easy to speak at a basic level, because due to its nature even if foreign people mispronounce words or mix them up in the wrong order, we can still understand what they are trying to state. Hell, we can even understand Americans :D:D:D

I think I am guilty of most of your grammatical pet peeves....due to laziness, I guess.

But the most important thing is the message. Not everyone has had a good education.

Correct my grammar, above. :D

My pet peeve is, "aks" instead of "Ask". I am in the USA and this does irritate me.

reading my niece's FB makes my teeth grit

'yo boyyyza N grrlz r like what ya no n all dat k' or whatever the Hell her and her friends are saying

Yes, txt spk 4 mrns wch hs n vwls.......:axeman2:

I think I am guilty of most of your grammatical pet peeves....due to laziness, I guess.

But the most important thing is the message. Not everyone has had a good education.

Correct my grammar, above. :D

My pet peeve is, "aks" instead of "Ask". I am in the USA and this does irritate me.

Well, can't you emigrate somewhere else?

Needless to say I don't include non native English speakers in my annoyances list. In fact, many of you Scandinavians, Germans and Dutch speak English better than some of the natives do, because you are taught it properly and don't include the laziness which students here get away with all too much.

Scandinavian, German and Dutch are like English part of the Teutonic group of languages which may explain why they tend to pick it up and pronounce it better than native Latin speakers (French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese) do.

English is the most complex language on Earth, with over 300,000 words (not including old Latin Nouns) many of which have several different contextual meanings. 'Set' for example has 29 different uses and contexts. Despite that, it is quite easy to speak at a basic level, because due to its nature even if foreign people mispronounce words or mix them up in the wrong order, we can still understand what they are trying to state. Hell, we can even understand Americans :D:D:D

I think I read something to the effect of 2.5 million words, college educated grads knowing perhaps 250,000. I agree, the language is the hardest to teach and learn. There's a ridiculous amount of idioms, broken 'rules' and unnecessary duplicates (I mean, really, do we REALLY need to differentiate between large, huge and enormous).
Teaching students is a nightmare..they go out understanding pretty and beautiful then someone says 'you're stunning/gorgeous/hot' and their eyes glaze over.

I speak Indonesian and it was a cakewalk to learn - one tense to English's 12.
We need to say I study, I studied, I will study, I have studied, I had studied, I will have studied, I am studying, I was studying, I will be studying, I have been studying, I had been studying, I will have been studying.
Native speakers know the subtle difference when we hear it, because we know it instrinsically. The poor student has to learn it.
Indonesian has one form...I study...then tack on today, yesterday, tomorrow etc lol

What are you pacifically sayin'? You shouldn't of said that! I think your a fool!

I aks you to take that back.
:p

:D:D

I couldn't of resisted that won if I tryed

Another fact most people aren't aware of is that IF you pronounced all your English words correctly, you would have a Scottish accent. Try it. In fact, that alone is good enough reason to speak it badly.:)

Hell, we used to have an Aus, S. African, American, couple Brits and couple Canadians on staff...and we were ALL native English speakers, none of us even spoke or taught the same English. Look at the gap in vocabulary and grammar from the two ends of the spectrum, a Brit and an American, throw a Canadian in the centre, and you've three different Englishes.

Just the usual ones:

Loose (floppy, not tight) when the person means Lose (opposite of win).

There (over there)
They're (they are)
Their (belonging to them)

Your (belonging to you)
You're (you are)

Deposite instead of Deposit

Rigged, when the person means "I was just unlucky..." :p
Etc...

Oh, and there's a few words I hate because I always seem to type them wrong - if it wasn't for me using a spell check on all my posts you would probably see them full of these words:

Becuase
Varience
Possition
Mane (name)
Randon

KK

lol, my posts are riddled with spelling errors and I often juxtapose letters and end up with words like King's 'becuase' and 'hwatever'.

My spelling is actually really good. My typing sucks. I'm still a 2 finger hunt and pecker. I never switched because now I can type 2 fingers almost as fast as a lot of regular typists and I don't have enough cause to write large passages. But if I don't look at the board I can't type and make loads of mistakes.

lol, my posts are riddled with spelling errors and I often juxtapose letters and end up with words like King's 'becuase' and 'hwatever'.

My spelling is actually really good. My typing sucks. I'm still a 2 finger hunt and pecker. I never switched because now I can type 2 fingers almost as fast as a lot of regular typists and I don't have enough cause to write large passages. But if I don't look at the board I can't type and make loads of mistakes.

I type perfectly. My keyboard is an idiot.

My brain thinks a lot more formally than my mouth speaks. For example, I rarely sleep in but it does happen and on the quiet drive to work I might run over an adequate response in my mind for when I'm questioned about it. In my mind I might explain that sometimes I start watching movies on a Sunday night and if I don't remember to set my alarm before the movie starts I tend to fall asleep before the movie ends. Normally I wake up on time regardless but this is one of those rare occasions that I slept a little late.

Then when I finally arrive at work and someone says "You're late." My response ends up being something more to the effect of "Really? I thought it was come whenever the !@#$ you want day."

I haven't really put much thought into it but now that the subject has come up, I think that the English language is spoken in so many different countries by people from different cultures who have different dialects and accents that "doing the best you can" is just an accepted method of speech when you speak English. Personally, I'm ok with that especially if English isn't a person's first language.

On top of that you have this tendency for people who are comfortable speaking English to take existing words and just use the word any way they like and if the word is used this way often enough the word actually accepts the new meaning. The word "flounder" comes to mind. A flounder is a fish but at some point someone somewhere described the motion resembling a fish out of water as "floundering." Now suddenly it's a verb... And a brand new word.

And because the quarter million words we already have to deal with aren't good enough people are constantly making up new words. The word cool means to have a low temperature so someone decided that it would be a good word to describe being calm. When you want someone to calm down you can also say "cool off." Another word that describes cooling off is the word chill so chill must mean calm as well so when we want people to calm down we can also say "chill out." But even that wasn't good enough so someone decided to go all the way back to the original word "relax" and just mash it together with the word "chill" and start using the brand new word "chillax." Just give it a few years. Webster's will have that in the dictionary too.

Another example of this was the (thankfully) short lived use of "S'up?" in the late 90s and early 00's that came from mashing "What's up?" together. I remember trying my damnedest to get "S'appening" to catch on but nobody would bite.

Just the usual ones:

There (over there)
They're (they are)

Your (belonging to you)
You're (you are)

Deposite instead of Deposit

Rigged, when the person means "I was just unlucky..." :p
Etc...

Oh, and there's a few words I hate because I always seem to type them wrong - if it wasn't for me using a spell check on all my posts you would probably see them full of these words:

Becuase
Varience
Possition
Mane (name)
Randon

KK

Yeah....the "deposite" one really irks me.

I originally thought it was Scandinavian, and so I ignored it for years, but I've discovered that even home-grown Americans use it, so it cannot be just a translation/language thing.

My absolute favourites are when people are trying insult you in a post/comment/email with things like:

"Your a f*cking morron. Just coz you think your more inteligent you think you can make me lok stupid. Your so a looser!!"

If one is going to insult someone, they should at least do it correctly.

My philosophy is that if someone can't be arsed to take an extra 10 seconds to spell and use correct grammar, then I can't be arsed reading. It certainly doesn't encourage me to help them either. Of course, non-English speakers are a different story, and I think it's poor form to have a potshot at them.

dionysus....typos are different. It's fairly obvious when it is a typo vs poor spelling. Typos don't bother me, as long as the post isn't full of them, as that just shows laziness, and IMO, a lack for respect and consideration for one's audience.

I am often intrigued with the manner in which English words are adapted to an entirely new, and frequently quite opposite meaning.

Examples:

"sick"

"wicked"

and I marvel at the way the word "like" has taken on new importance in the language :)

edited to add:

Two thoughts.

Perhaps the languages of nations that have risen to global prominence and become colonisers of other nations absorb words and even phrases from those other nations in the same way that the colonised take on board some of the cultural and language aspects of the dominant nation?

The ease of modern global communication surely accelerates this process of growing a vocabulary?

Just the usual ones:

There (over there)
They're (they are)

Your (belonging to you)
You're (you are)

I will admit, I always have to think twice when using some of those. I always bugger them up and still do.

But ey mate, I don't know English that well, I am Australiaaaaaaaaaan champ.

My philosophy is that if someone can't be arsed to take an extra 10 seconds to spell and use correct grammar, then I can't be arsed reading. It certainly doesn't encourage me to help them either. Of course, non-English speakers are a different story, and I think it's poor form to have a potshot at them.

I do read over most of what I type, click post and what do you know I read it again and it still has errors, so I fix them up (probably still left some). I will be honest though posting on a forum my number 1 priority is usually not to get my grammar perfect but to get my point across and I am usually doing this to fast without checking what I have typed in the first place.

I can forgive people for making some mistakes (I do it) what I cannot stand is people taking short cuts e.g text talk, teen talk or what ever you would like to call it, as Dion pointed out on Facebook etc. It drives me up the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back