Windows Update... grrrr

weesie

Ueber Meister
Hi,

We had some updates last night for windows vista. I have a nice big monitor, which I love. The update

gave my pc about a 2 inch gray border down the right side. Why? I hate it and have looked for ways to get rid of it.

Any thoughts?

update.jpg

It looks to me like your desktop wallpaper doesn't fit your screen resolution. Maybe it was stretched to fit your screen before and the update changed it or your screen resolution has changed.

It has always been just fine. This pc is about 5 yrs old. If that were true, wouldn't we have had a problem before?

The gray tool bar at the bottom is new too. It was always a darker shade of blue.

It has always been just fine. This pc is about 5 yrs old. If that were true, wouldn't we have had a problem before?

The gray tool bar at the bottom is new too. It was always a darker shade of blue.

Well, I don't know but that would be the first thing I checked if my wallpaper didn't cover the entire desktop.

The colour of the menu bar is also part of your display settings. It might have changed to grey if transparency has been turned off.

1.Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar
2.Select Settings.
3.Click Show advanced settings.
4.In the "Web Content" section, use the "Page zoom" drop-down menu to adjust the zoom.

looks like transparency is off - an Aero feature - gray border looks about the size of the little gadget/widget sidebar thingy on the right. I haven't updated my Vista here at work lately, so mine is still transparent.

Ok,

I disabled the "windows sidebar". It took away the stupid 2 inch gray border on the right side of the screen at least. But, it took away my clock in the upper right hand corner too. Oh well.

The reason I believe it is from the windows update is that several things appear different than they did yesterday.

I guess I am old............... I HATE change!! :mad:

put your sidebar back up (I like mine, too) and maybe try this...

right click the sidebar, click 'Properties', and then deselect the checkbox that says 'Keep above all Windows'. This will probably fix the problem.

Or, right click desktop, goto Personalize, and in the advanced visual settings, switch to the aero interface

if that doesn't work, try this:

Right click on your desktop.
Then select "Personalize"
Then select "Theme"

Verify from this window that you are using the "Windows Vista Theme". If this is already selected change it and then choose "Windows Vista Theme". This should change the sidebar so that it is transparent.

A simple test will be to uninstall Chrome, clear your cache and reinstall it. It will then automatically impose the correct settings when reinstalled. You won't lose favourites etc.

Ok,

I disabled the "windows sidebar". It took away the stupid 2 inch gray border on the right side of the screen at least. But, it took away my clock in the upper right hand corner too. Oh well.

The reason I believe it is from the windows update is that several things appear different than they did yesterday.

I guess I am old............... I HATE change!! :mad:

The sidebar has potential issues you might need to know.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back