Will Internet backgammon be the next big thing?

mary

Dormant account
Press Release Source: TrueMoneygames.com

Online Backgammon Sets Its Sights On Internet Poker Success
Monday July 25, 1:35 pm ET

LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2005--Internet gambling experts believe online backgammon could be the next big to follow internet poker. From the tables in Times Square, New York to the sidewalks of Soho pubs in London, backgammon is more popular than ever, and increasing numbers are now playing the game online.
According to Pierre Egger of TrueMoneygames.com, sponsors of the Backgammon World Championships held earlier this month in Monte Carlo, "Backgammon is now a popular alternative to online poker. Since 2004 we have seen the number of registrations on our backgammon server double to almost 40,000, and there are more than 500,000 people now playing online backgammon globally."

On Monday this week, Dennis Carlston (USA) won the 2005 Backgammon World Championships taking home over US$100,000. Total prize money for the tournament amounted to more than US$320,000, and the pot is expected to rise sharply in 2006 as interest in the game elevates.

In a landmark first, the final match between Carlston and John O'Hagan (USA), was watched live on TrueMoneygames.com by hundreds of backgammon fans around the world. The match was automatically analyzed and commented in real-time by Snowie, the world's most respected Backgammon software based on Artificial Intelligence, developed by SnowieGroup.

Originating in Mesopotamia in Persian times, backgammon is one of the world's oldest and best known games, and in many parts of the world it is significantly more popular than poker. Backgammon has been played on the internet since 1993.

About TrueMoneygames.com:

TrueMoneygames.com is a shareholder company registered in Curacao and has been established in 2001. TrueMoneygames.com offers the games of Backgammon and Poker exclusively online and operates under the gaming license of the Netherlands Antilles in Curacao.

For more information about TrueMoneygames.com or the Backgammon World Championship in Monte Carlo, visit www.truemoneygames.com or email at info@truemoneygames.com.

About Snowie:

Snowie is a Backgammon software tool based on Artificial Intelligence. Its playing strength defies the best human players in the world and its analysing tools are appreciated by world class players from all over the world. Snowie is developed by SnowieGroup SA, a shareholder company based in Morges, Switzerland.

For more information about Snowie and Snowiegroup, visit www.snowiegroup.com or email at info@snowiegroup.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jools Moore, +44 (0) 207 240 7094
jools@cancancommunications.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: TrueMoneygames.com

I see a lot of increase in the use of skill games online, so I would not be surprised if Backgammon or Mahjong or Chess or Checkers or similair or all of the above would become very popular soon.

My skill game section is growing all the time, and there are more and more places offering skill games.

The problem with backgammon is that there is a correct decision for every move which can be calculated with bots or just software.

I hadn't thought of that!

That is a problem, but then it is a problem with a number of skill games.

Lots of people play them for money online every day...

The one skill game I would play online is Bridge. I'd love to play that...I learnt to play when I was about 8 or 9, so I'm pretty good. If anyone knows of an online bridge website with half decent software, some prizes, please PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back