Whisky and Whiskeys

Tonight I am enjoying a rare privilege, a lovely 12 year old Aberlour single malt whisky. A friend, in poor financial straits sold me part of a bottle that was a gift. This whisky is not available at the LCBO and is just lovely. It's not too peaty, and has a rich caramel flavour.

Being a proud Canuck, I enjoy a good rye, and that would be whisky. However, Canadian ryes do not have enough rye to be called rye whiskys abroad, and are known as Canadian whiskys!

My favourite whiskeys are Irish Whiskeys though. I usually buy Jamesons, although Redbreast is for when I am flush enough.

Bourbons are corn whiskeys, and one of the best known, Jack Daniels, is not bourbon at all, but Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey. I'm guessing it doesn't have enough corn to be bourbon.

I thought I'd share a good site for those who don't know about scotches, or would like to learn more,
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Let me know your favourites.

Cheers,
Jazzy

For Single Malts it would be Glendronach and Glenlivet and for Blends it would be Teachers and Famous Grouse.

Not too fancy about Islay whiskeys like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. Tastes like charcoal.

my family drinks bushmills when we all get together. from what i hear it's the oldest distillery still in existence. since 1608 or something.

i usually get wiser's deluxe for its incredible smoothness. or crown royal when entertaining company. can you still get CR in that purple velvet sack anywhere?

:thumbsup:

Gotta agree with your Mama, LJ. Crown is smoother than Jack. But Jack is the drink of the 'south'. Just a little splash in the morning coffee sure will start your day off right.:)

Singles: Talisker 10 or better, Bowmore 12, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenmorangie Sherry Cask, and a wee dram of Laphroaig ever now and then.

Blends: Johnny Walker Black and (call me a Philistine) Ballantine's. Grand Macnish too if someone is offering.

"Bourbon": love me some JD, two or three doubles of that and I can actually bear an airplane flight.

Recommend
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
for those interested in reading extensive, albeit highly subjective, tasting notes of many many whiskies.

PS. Odd thing is that here in France, because of "The Auld Alliance" I presume, there are oodles of brands of whisky readily available, many more than I was used to typically seeing back in North America. Your average grocery store usually has a big section of them, ours has maybe 50+ different brands and ages. Don't ask about prices though .. yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back