What's Ya Weather At?

40.3c hit in Coningsby (Lincolnshire) after the previous high of 40.2 reached at Heathrow earlier.

Unfortunately grass fires are starting to break out around London now.

What an extraordinary day of weather.

40.3c hit in Coningsby (Lincolnshire) after the previous high of 40.2 reached at Heathrow earlier.

Unfortunately grass fires are starting to break out around London now.

What an extraordinary day of weather.

As I confidently predicted 42c = BUUUULLLSHIT! lol my gonad is safe.

The BBC alas indulged in the usual exaggerations of adding 1-2c to what was actually feasible.

Although when I saw 39.1c at 11AM and 40.2c at 1PM I thought it was odds-on we'd end up with a top somewhere of 41-42c.

29 weather stations apparently recorded over the old 38.7c record.

As I confidently predicted 42c = BUUUULLLSHIT! lol my gonad is safe.

The BBC alas indulged in the usual exaggerations of adding 1-2c to what was actually feasible.

Although when I saw 39.1c at 11AM and 40.2c at 1PM I thought it was odds-on we'd end up with a top somewhere of 41-42c.

29 weather stations apparently recorded over the old 38.7c record.
The models genuinely had 42-43 as their upper maximum, there was no exaggeration with this. At the top end, things can be affected at relatively short lead times by cloud cover, small nuances in wind direction etc.

Still, the models (GFS in particular) did extremely well at picking this out 10-14 days ago…which shows how far forecasting models have come over the years.

Somewhere will have hit 41c today, but we’ll never officially know that because there’s a general sparsity of official stations reporting.

We remain at risk of further hot spells over the next few weeks as Europe remains toasty, but something on this level probably won’t repeat now (and once we get into August max temperature potential begins to wane due to lengthening nights and reducing insolation).

Hopefully this'll be the week where venturing outside designated sludged-up pathways isn't fraught with humiliation, as the treacherous ice paths clear up, with temperatures in double-figures throughout, at least in London.

One such affected locale has been the gym, which has sat entrenched, like a moat of doom, encircled in the most evil- looking ice known to man, which has made me avert my desire to enter its premises for the last few days.

We're just soft up here, what can I say.

F*** this weather

accidental-break-dance-break-dance.gif

You'd think there was no weather the way this thread's stalled. And yet, it's all around us, like the Force :p

With the Met Office's penchant to allocate names for any upcoming storms - as part of their Know Your Storm initiative - it's fair to say we're all fairly pally with our apocalyptic gusts.

And whilst extreme windy weather is nothing new, storm 'Henk' sure made its presence known during its short, furious reign, with storm 'Isha' about to come out of the bullpen.

Unprecedented and dangerous indeed, the joys of inner city life shielding us from such windy woes, and yet, when these things come around, it really is nature flexing, showing us how helpless we really are....

I had the pleasure of holding a window handle as the storm lashed, forcing it shut, as each pass felt like Andre the Giant prising it open from the other side. Thankfully, it's now fixed, but in those 45 minutes or so it was ungodly. Trees were felled, ambulances and fire fighters everywhere -

and worst of all, within the space of around five minutes of peeking outside, a car had been crushed by what God knows what, with a person stretchered off by paramedics, in full view of our abode :(

Alas, Henk wrought quite a bit of damage, and Isha's set to do the same. Stay inside, people!

car wreck.jpg

tree.jpg

I was at the park with my dog when the tree I was watching in the distance just happened to crack from a massive gust of wind, then fall.

It must have been there a good 100 years and all I could think about were the odds of me just happening to be there at that exact moment to witness it falling after standing for over 100 years.

Felt like a once in a lifetime progressive jackpot type of event, only I didn't get paid. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back