What is the best food/dinner you ever had?

just play

closed account
My husband, daughter and my father went out to a local restaurant in the next city over last night for dinner.

OMG!!! YUMMMMMM

Everyone had leftovers, the meals were huge, at reasonable prices. My husband brought home this fish dish....

Marco Polo
Scallops
Clams
Mussels
Calamari

over a bed of linquinni, in a lemon wine sauce

I HAD to try some bites :D I have to say this has been the best food I have had in a long time. I am looking forward to enjoying HIS leftover for lunch today. ;)

So tell me...what was the best food/dinner you have had? That you make, that someone you know makes, at a restaurant.

When I was in Phoenix we used to go to this place called La Madeleine, it's a french cafe with loads of all different kinds of breads and pastries. Whenever we went, I always had this one dish with chicken and broccoli and mushrooms in some kind of pesto cream sauce, and sopped up the leftover sauce with some of their yummy bread. mmmmm - I always left there absolutely stuffed!

Dammit, now I'm hungry. :p

When I was in Phoenix we used to go to this place called La Madeleine, it's a french cafe with loads of all different kinds of breads and pastries. Whenever we went, I always had this one dish with chicken and broccoli and mushrooms in some kind of pesto cream sauce, and sopped up the leftover sauce with some of their yummy bread. mmmmm - I always left there absolutely stuffed!

Dammit, now I'm hungry. :p

YUMMMMM

Have you found any places near you?

When visiting Paris, like a tourist, I ate cheeses, breads and wine in the park; it was divine

In Indonesia they make lumpia (think:eggroll) with baby bamboo shoots, mmmm

Eating all that yummy food in the park does sound divine!

Lumpia sounds delish.

YUMMMMM

Have you found any places near you?

Ray's not very adventurous when it comes to food. When I was in AZ I'd go to Mexican, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese or Turkish restaurants. Ray likes more 'normal' stuff and pizza is about as exotic as his palate runs, so when we go out it's usually for a steak or ribs or something. Although I have to admit that Boston Pizza actually does quite a nice chicken mushroom dish too. It's no La Madeleine, but it's not bad. :)

Grandma's food was the best food I ever had.

I remember when I was little, sometimes (usually a Sunday) she was making lasagna for the whole family (30+ people), it would take her a whole day. She'd make the noodles and then the sauce from scratch. She even had a grinder for the meat. Everything was made from fresh ingredients. Even the bread and butter were home made.

It was simply amazing.

The best dinner I ever had cooked by someone else was undoubtedly the first proper meal I had in Spain in 1980. I was staying at a resort in Marbella for a couple of nights before beginning a month long adventure, and all of 21 years old. I met a tour guide from a different region of Spain on his own vacation my first day there, and I said I was jetlagged, but I'd be happy to go to dinner the next night.

We sat on a promenade overlooking the Mediterrean, and we had to wait for some dishes until the boats came in with their catches. Nothing was cooked elaborately, but everything was oh so fresh. I think we had 11 courses, and even though he was paying, I asked if I could look at the bill, just to get some idea of what I might be paying elsewhere. If IRC, it was around $30 for for the two of us, including two bottles of house wine, as the sun sunk into the Med. Clams I've never had before or since, tiny little fishes two hours after spawning floured and deep fried in oil, bones so soft they didn't even crunch.

Had a pretty spectacular meal here
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
year, a degree of cuisine at a very good price point.

Best thing I've ever cooked, probably this third time through with my own little nuances:

Absolutely worth all the effort to make your own duck stock. Best value is to buy a whole duck, confit most of the rest of it. Best leftovers would be Mushroom Rissotto with Duck Confit and fried Okra.

But that burnt hotdog and hot chocolate mix winter camping when I was 11 and it took us 3 hours to even get a fire going is still in the top 10.

Ray's not very adventurous when it comes to food. When I was in AZ I'd go to Mexican, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese or Turkish restaurants. Ray likes more 'normal' stuff and pizza is about as exotic as his palate runs, so when we go out it's usually for a steak or ribs or something. Although I have to admit that Boston Pizza actually does quite a nice chicken mushroom dish too. It's no La Madeleine, but it's not bad. :)

Mmmmm......Vietnamese at Doans, Dim Sum at the Golden Rice Bowl, my Edmonton favs.

Some of my other favs was a Pistole Soup in Guadalajara, a roast pig at a luau in Oahu, the best was a a fresh Barramundi dish at the Kikau Hut, Aorangi in the Cook Islands, made with a local fruit salsa.....devine.

A chinese buffet I discovered whilst on holiday in Spain. I think I ended up going there 3 nights out of 7 :D

It was delicious - all the different meats you can imagine, freshly cooked to order right in front of you, every combination of chinese dish under the sun, of which you could have as much as you wanted for a fixed price, not to mention a huge selection of dishes from other parts of the world, desserts, everything. I was in my element. :oops:

Best food i ever had... very hard to say without in my mind "doing short" some of the great wining and dining experiences...
I"ll have to put forward that i worked as a cook, in several countries and cuisines, and spent most of my professional life in some branch of gastronomy: which means i had access to things most folk never see, or can't/won't pay for.

That said, i recollect one specific memory, before my days as a cook started, and i worked in the just recently opened up east-Germany, which was very interesting, and strolled into the town of Greiswald.. they had only one restaurant aside from the traditional German Pubs, with beer, salads and some meat and fish-dishes, and it was a Chinese restaurant.

I had eaten a lot of Chinese food already, and it was always ok, sometimes yummy, but nothing prepared me for this.

Of course i can not remember the names of the various dishes, but after a long conversation with the owner, who was interested in some of the products i was selling, i was fed what he said to be traditional Cantonese food, and various cups of thea, all were heavenly, what sticks out in my memory was the subtle, but new taste every dish brought...hints of coriander and garlic, sweet vinegar and ginger, the famous five spice powder and whatnot.
But the crown was the dessert: i got a soup :what:, i think based on potatoes and black beans, which was absolutely amazing, and somehow rounded off the meal in a perfect way.

Needless to say i went there the whole week i was visiting ^.^
The guy really pampered me and Chinese Food has never been the same since...
He also enlightened me about Chinese restaurants throughout the world, that in each country the dishes were adapted to suit the local tastes and ingredients.
That was what got me interested in various cuisines, especially traditional, and regional.
Long story, but you sort off asked for it :D

These posts are awesome! Around the world food, homemade food, it's only 9am and now my mouth is watering. :laugh:

My grandfather was the same way as Balthazar grandmother.

He had a meat grinder as well. His specialties were anything Polish. No one can compair to his cooking. He would sit at the kitchen table all day and cook. We of course used to joke he could make a shoe taste good. I miss those kind of days, where food was food, not driving by a fast food restaurant and eating in your car.

I have a few specialties of my own that my hubby and daughter beg me to make. Stuffed peppers/stuffed cabbage the ingredients (including the pepper/cabbage) come out so tender and juicy when cooked right. (they don't care as much for the stuffed cabbage) Lasagna, I have just started this recently, it is good, but I can do better. Turkey meatloaf, which I don't care for, so haven't made it in a while, lol, they bug me at least once a week to make this.

I have been to many US states when I was younger, so can't remember any good food, and have never been out of US, so these stories of other countries are so cool to me.

It may sound simple but Dimillo's Restaurant in Portland,Maine has a grilled cheese to die for! It is Havarti cheese and Lobster on a type of Texas toast. I think it was $15 but huge and worth every bite!

Here's a recipe for Brazilian Shrimp soup that I've made a couple of times that is amazing!

I use Cilantro rather than Parsley and it adds a nice flavor. We also use fresh shrimp as that adds to the flavor too!

My mum's roasts took some beating, but I would say a place called RJ's (a chain steakhouse/restaurant I believe) in Durban South Africa.
Surf & turf; hot platter for food, steak succulent and perfectly done, calamari in batter fantastic, fries perfect, beer freezing, I think an Australian guy called Craig served us, probably a student. Best meal I ever ate out, and I've eaten at a few places. Just showed me that food doesn't have to be complicated, it's the attention to whatever is being ordered. :thumbsup:

One of several really memorable meals I have throughly enjoyed in various countries:

Salty's Waterfront Seafood Grills on the banks of the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon:

Starters

Rock Shrimp with Mozzarella Arancini
Served with Puttanesca Sauce and Lemon-Infused Olive Oil

Followed by

Cedar Plank Wild Salmon with Garlic Dijon Mashed Potatoes, Mushrooms Sundried Tomatoes, Pancetta and Sauce Mornay

Enjoyed with a bottle of the local Z'Ivo Pinot Noir.

At home, it's hard to beat a thick cut and matured steak rubbed with salt, pepper and olive oil and seared on the barbeque!

Going to one of my favorite best food/dinner places tonight. :) Will have the following...

• Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail
Boiled Louisiana-style, served on crushed ice with our spicy cocktail sauce

• Tempura Lobster Tail
Lightly fried, served with mango salsa and mustard sauce

10 oz Lodge Filet
Topping –Horseradish Encrusted

Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes

• Key Lime Pie
In a walnut graham cracker crust served with fresh whipped cream

Plus a few adult drinks!

Link: Outdated URL (Invalid)

Hmm, this is tough. Unlike many Americans, I actually enjoy eating, so I've had many memorable meals.

I guess in terms of travel/food, I recall one spectacular meal I had at an Italian bistro in Marseilles one year - I remember especially the salad, which was just perfection - wasn't even a fancy place nor a fancy salad, was just a business-type lunch spot near the harbor, but wow, I remember how much I enjoyed that.

Montreal - there were actually a couple terrific Vietnamese places in the gay Village on Ste. Catherine's where I had soup and an omelette - OMG good. Or maybe I was just hungover, but I'll probably never forget those meals.

I had eaten a lot of Chinese food already, and it was always ok, sometimes yummy, but nothing prepared me for this.

There was a place in Chinatown in New York where I remember one day just popping in because I was hungry and passing by and it looked like a Chinese soup kitchen, so in the spirit of what-the-hell I walked in - there were a couple tables, a guy doing soup, an assistant rolling dumplings and so I ordered it, thinking 'it's cooked so it can't kill me' - lol, that dumpling soup was just so good. Oddly, I was never able to quite find that place again as it was about ten years ago, and Chinatown has changed dramatically so the landmarks aren't the same.

As far as memorable meals go - 1989 I had a bad car accident, our van turned over and ended up skidding down the road on it's roof my left hand was outside and ended up a terrible mess, so much so that the surgeon stated there was a high chance of losing some fingers, anyhow after an 8 hour plus operation I came round with my left hand up in the air and being supported by a similar stand that drip feeds are attached to, after being reliably informed that all my digits were still intact I asked the nurse if I could have something to eat and drink as I wasn't feeling sick or drowsy due to the anesthetic, she opened the little cupboard next to my bed and opened a packet of Jaffa cakes and poured out a small glass of orange juice, I devoured every one and went on to drink a whole jug full of juice which bewildered the nurse somewhat as I should have in her words `Thrown my ring up` lol.

In my younger days when I visited a Greek island at least once a year my fav meal was Lamb Kleftico in tarragon and spinach sauce with feta cheese and zucchini dumplings, washed down with a few bottles of Retsina wine.

It doesn't have to be a posh restaurant....I live at the sea, and just a few kilometres away there is a small seaside restaurant and take-away where the cook has a way with seafood that makes for really good fish and chips.

My fave is a particular deepsea fish that is as ugly as hell but has the most flaky white and delicious flesh, and this place does it better than any of the swish establishments we have around the city.

Lightly battered, not overcooked and served with freshly fried chips and a French salad....just the best.

Hmm, this is tough. Unlike many Americans, I actually enjoy eating, so I've had many memorable meals.

I guess in terms of travel/food, I recall one spectacular meal I had at an Italian bistro in Marseilles one year - I remember especially the salad, which was just perfection - wasn't even a fancy place nor a fancy salad, was just a business-type lunch spot near the harbor, but wow, I remember how much I enjoyed that.

Montreal - there were actually a couple terrific Vietnamese places in the gay Village on Ste. Catherine's where I had soup and an omelette - OMG good. Or maybe I was just hungover, but I'll probably never forget those meals.

Montreal has some great restaurants....and Reuben's (?) smoked meats are a taste experience of note!

Travelling in Maine, we encountered for the first time lobster in a roll - man, that was good too!

I had the pleasure of a good meal I did not cook myself tonight. I bullied * or strongly encouraged* a girlfriend to throw a birthday party for her brother, at least partly sinced he asked if I would.

Her marriage of 30 some years ended relatively recently, but I had no idea she'd never hosted a dinner party before, not people that were not family.

If people are partying, they may not sit down when dinner is ready. Certain things end up a little over cooked, and some may be a little cold.

But a good time was had by all, and there were sure a lot of laughs. No one went away hungry.

Best is very subjective, I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back