Video Poker - Why is it so boring?

VP is not a low variance game, the variance depends on the type of game and the player's strategy, but it is comparable to the variance of a slot machine.

As a general rule of thumb what's a good way to work out the variance of a VP game?

I think I've worked it out as per my post earlier in this thread, but are there any particularly high-variance variants to keep an eye out for?

I'm also relying on 3Dice's VP client to use the optimal strategy for me.

I find video poker very exciting because of the double-or-nothing option. For example a full house doubled up twice is already a good win. But mostly I am too reckless (another expression for "greedy"), often doubling one time too often. But thats the excitment, feast or famine! As a lowroller I mostly play half a dollar a hand, sometimes only 25 cents.

Cheers

Balky

VP is not a low variance game, the variance depends on the type of game and the player's strategy, but it is comparable to the variance of a slot machine.

As per the Wizard, the variance of Full Pay 9/6 Jacks or Better is 19. This compares to some of my slots as follows:

- Take It or Leave It = 17

- Hot Peppers = 22

- Diamonds Wild = 23

- Crazy 8 Line = 23

Chris

right i play it a little & yer i find it a tad boring . but im going to play it for next two months over at 3 dice double double bonus poker @ £1 per hand & see how it compares to slots i shall keep it updated every two weeks or so . if all goes well you never know i may even give the slots up & switch to video poker , cant see it though,

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back