USA Today Article

PackerBacker

America the Beautiful
There was a follow-up Neteller article in yesterday's USA Today regarding the repayment of US customers balances. Here's the link:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

What I thought most interesting were these last lines:

"Dan Smith, 47, of Pennsylvania, collected nearly $40,000 from his account July 30. After months of waiting, he was eager to close his account, he says.

Unlike a handful of other Neteller customers interviewed, Smith and Kundinger did not object to use of their names in this article. They say they aren't concerned about criminal charges. Nor should they be, says a former federal prosecutor.

"As a general matter, the federal government's interest is in going after the bookmaker instead of the gambler," says Joseph DeMarco, an Internet and privacy attorney who used to be assistant U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. "

Follow the money

What I thought most interesting were these last lines:

"Dan Smith, 47, of Pennsylvania, collected nearly $40,000 from his account July 30. After months of waiting, he was eager to close his account, he says.

Unlike a handful of other Neteller customers interviewed, Smith and Kundinger did not object to use of their names in this article. They say they aren't concerned about criminal charges. Nor should they be, says a former federal prosecutor.

"As a general matter, the federal government's interest is in going after the bookmaker instead of the gambler," says Joseph DeMarco, an Internet and privacy attorney who used to be assistant U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. "

I thought that was interesting as well. It squares with what the Neteller Dude told Jay Todd in the interview a couple of weeks ago. I have seen Todd respond to a couple of comments on YouTube. I don't think he believes this is about chasing down individuals. Why should it be? Most of them lose money.

So where is the money? Well... 888.com. And the rumor is buzzing that there overture to DOJ isn't going well. Seems DOJ likes to take back the profits from US markets. For 888.com that would be close to 120 Million. Similarly, DOJ is talking to Party Gaming - and the disgorgement there would be 900M. BTW - seems like the numbers should be reversed.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Stanford.

For 888.com that would be close to 120 Million. Similarly, DOJ is talking to Party Gaming - and the disgorgement there would be 900M. BTW - seems like the numbers should be reversed.

reversed?.....that looks correct to me......partypoker was #1 in US.....i must say I don't miss their advertisements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back