Too far?

chayton

aka LooHoo
webmeister
PABnonaccred
CAG
So there's a huge increase in STIs - especially syphilis - spreading among the population of young people here in Alberta. The provincial government started this awareness campaign that some people find amusing and others find disgusting. They're doing television commercials and banner ads that point to a fake dating website for people with syphilis. That's the condensed version, if you want to read more about the campaign, you can check it out
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I've seen the commercials, and yesterday I saw the first banner ad and visited the website
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
for the first time. It's kind of funny, but nasty at the same time. If you're easily offended or disgusted, don't bother looking. If you do go look, it has a pop up window that lets you choose if you're a man looking for a woman or whatever - you don't need to do any of that, just click the box that says you're over 16. All the profiles and everything are fake.

So ummm...honestly, for me it was a bit much, although some of the writing was funny - some of it funny in a tragic and sick way though. Although maybe I'm a little old fashioned, and I'm not really their target audience so it doesn't really matter. Will it work to boost awareness? I think it's definitely doing that. But I think maybe it's a bit too National Lampoon for people to take it seriously, I don't know.

For those of you who are brave enough to look, what do you think?

Man, Chayton, that is really unbelievable. I guess I am old fashioned (read old) and have a hard time dealing with this young people stuff. I have 3 grand daughters, two of them 14 and 16 and that this kind of stuff that is out there scares me for their future.

The world is moving forward and only time will tell if or whether we have gone the right way. I pray we have but wouldn't place a bet! :confused:

Interesting Link Chayton

I really don't think their target audience will take it too seriously either unless they retain the factual information provided in the profiles. I suspect many will briefly browse and move on. My lovely yet cynical girls are 13 and 16. I can see them rolling their eyes and onto the next page.

I am not old nor old-fashioned.:p

I think it's frigging brilliant. I showed it to The Kid (23 yo) and he was cracking up reading one of the profiles until he got to the end...there was an audible "whoa". Normally nothing fazes him, but even he was impressed and suitably freaked.

I think it's frigging brilliant. I showed it to The Kid (23 yo) and he was cracking up reading one of the profiles until he got to the end...there was an audible "whoa". Normally nothing fazes him, but even he was impressed and suitably freaked.

And he's in the target age group so that's an interesting reaction. :thumbsup: I assumed that most young people would look at it, laugh at the jokes and then go on about their business.

My girl is 28 and said 'OUUUU where do you find this stuff mom?' lol I imagine if a young person thinks they have contracted something, they will find this website but beforehand I don't know. I told my kid she could die from having sex with the wrong person (Aids); maybe that helped her decide against promiscuity but mainly I think it boils down to self esteem and caring about your own self enough. Again, just my opinion.
Thanks chayton. interesting. :thumbsup:

I followed your link and it looks like a great campaign. I don`t think this is "too much". It only shows the reality. Hope it will be a wake-up call for some people, especially young people :thumbsup:

My girl is 28 and said 'OUUUU where do you find this stuff mom?' lol I imagine if a young person thinks they have contracted something, they will find this website but beforehand I don't know. I told my kid she could die from having sex with the wrong person (Aids); maybe that helped her decide against promiscuity but mainly I think it boils down to self esteem and caring about your own self enough. Again, just my opinion.
Thanks chayton. interesting. :thumbsup:

The Kid's first words (after "Mama" and "Daddy") were "drug" and "store".;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back