Sales of New Petrol, Diesel & Hybrid cars to be banned in UK from 2035

steveh35

Dormant Account
Originally new petrol and diesel cars would be banned from 2040 but the government was told it wouldn't achieve it's 2050 zero emission target and hybrid cars have now been added to the list.

From 2035 only electric and hydrogen cars and vans will be available to buy as new.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Can only hope the price will reduce accordingly, currently it remains cheaper to purchase a petrol or gas run vehicle here in Australia, there is a rather high price tag on electric vehicles. Glad to see the English focused on reaching there targets for 0 emissions. All countries should be made to follow suit. We need to look after what we've got for future generations to come.

Well I hope the infrastructure is going to get significantly better in the next 15 years, as at the moment we are nowhere near ready. To do this, they need smart motorways and dual carriageways that can charge on the go, and charging points installed at street level everywhere.
I looked into one a couple of years ago. I can't get a charging point installed where I am at home, neither can the 4-500 homes on the estate as none have drives. The nearest public charging point is 3.4 miles away, of which there are 2. If all 500 houses bought an electric car tomorrow, it would be impossible to charge them. Battery technology needs to massively improve so you can get decent range, and prices need to drop, as the resale value will be low too, considering the life span of the battery, and the cost for replacing them.

It occured to me yesterday why are we trying to get all cars to be electric and run from charging stations surely the answer to petrol cars is solar powered cars, surely we are not going to spend thousands of pounds in installing car chargers for someone to just put some kind of solar panel technology on the top of cars and make the charging irrelevant.

Before anyone says anything yes the British sunshine probably wouldn't charge a small battery but the technology must be there for solar panel charging of cars, is this being ignored because the electric companies would lose out?

It occured to me yesterday why are we trying to get all cars to be electric and run from charging stations surely the answer to petrol cars is solar powered cars, surely we are not going to spend thousands of pounds in installing car chargers for someone to just put some kind of solar panel technology on the top of cars and make the charging irrelevant.

Before anyone says anything yes the British sunshine probably wouldn't charge a small battery but the technology must be there for solar panel charging of cars, is this being ignored because the electric companies would lose out?
lightyear-one-photo-front-high2.jpg

The technology is nowhere close yet

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Lightyear One unveiled a prototype of its solar-equipped electric car and began taking pre-orders on a limited run of the vehicles for €120,000 (£107,000) each, with delivery in 2021.

:eek2:

have a look at the ranges too

Once batteries get smaller in electric cars I can see solar replacing the charger, I look at charger electric cars as the equivalent of the CD or DVD and solar is the mp3/i-pod and people will all get electric charging cars and suddenly they will be replaced by solar very quickly.

Once batteries get smaller in electric cars I can see solar replacing the charger, I look at charger electric cars as the equivalent of the CD or DVD and solar is the mp3/i-pod and people will all get electric charging cars and suddenly they will be replaced by solar very quickly.
I don't think they will get much smaller in our lifetime. Mine anyway. They are still far away from getting a good range, as the technology increases, I think they will stay the same size, but increase range, long before they reduce the size. People need batteries with 500+ mile ranges first. Yes I know most people off to work and the school run don't, but there are a lot of drivers on the roads doing hundreds of miles a day who don't want to be stopping for an hour every 2-3 hours to charge the car up.

Hydrogen cars are looking more and more sustainable that battery cars. They need no batteries or the scarce and highly polluting minerals needed for making batteries.

Hydrogen also means no pollution from the car BUT the manufacturing of hydrogen still creates co2 unless it is done with energy created from a renewable energy source, but I guess that is the same problem with electric cars.

Several things need to happen to make all electric cars viable for the general public namely

A step change in the the battery technology, super capacitors will be the answer,they are being introduced
and great strides are being made, but they only work at low voltages at the present.The charge time is very
fast and will require fewer charging stations.

The cost of the the cars,the range and the confidence that charging can be achieved quickly in all parts of the country must be addressed urgently.

The political will needs to change, what the govenment says it wants and what it wants are two diffferent things.
No one is mentioning the loss of fuel tax revenue and how this will be replaced,I cant see anyway of taxing
electricity other than having special charging plugs at home and in charging stations that monitor the recharge
and tax accordingly. There would always be round this. Also the implications for the fuel companies and the
UK and world economies will be devestating.

I have been considering going all elecrtic as it surely is the future but we are nowhere near this being viable
at the moment..

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back