Online Gambling Industry Could See Relief

SKUNX

Banned User
The online gambling industry could see some much needed relief with the announcement that an independent group is seeking judgment restraining the United States from enforcing the "Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006" (UIGEA). The current law prevents U.S. credit-card companies and banks from processing payments to online gambling businesses.

Gambling911.com first reported that The Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) filed the request Tuesday.

"There is something brewing in the online gambling industry that will be very positive for everyone," said one respective industry expert and now we learn what that positive development is.

The suit filed today in U.S. District Court outlined how the Unlawful
Internet Gambling Enforcement Act infringes upon basic constitutional
rights and sets a dangerous precedent for I-commerce by criminalizing
the transmission of money if the end result is illegal in some
unspecified place. The injunction, if granted, will prevent the
government from enforcing the UIGEA and pave the way for Internet
gambling to resume pending further order of the court.

"The purpose of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is to
prevent Americans from engaging in their fundamental rights to conduct
their lives in the manner they wish to live it - to be free from the
government imposing public morality in the privacy of one's home", says
Eric M. Bernstein, Esq., attorney for iMEGA.

The lawsuit also seeks to stop the enforcement of the UIGEA based on the
recent ruling of the World Trade Organization in a final appeal which
found the United States in contempt of treaty obligations regarding
Internet gambling. Washington spokesmen recently said the United States
would not appeal the ruling in favor of Antigua and Barbuda, the
Caribbean nation which won the WTO challenge against the US and one
nation where Internet gambling is legal. Instead, Washington says, the
US will try to modify its treaty obligation to eliminate Internet
gambling. The WTO ruling permits sanctions to be imposed against the
US.

----

Christopher Costigan, Gambling911.com

Originally published June 5, 2007 5:00 pm ET

This is VERY VERY VERY good news, if true.

Anyone have any more information on this?

Like what District Court this was this filed in?

I searched around and I can't find anything on this anywhere.

I was on gambling911.com a few hours ago and read this and decided to post it if I know of anything else I will post it for sure.:thumbsup:

I read gambling911's article.

I searched for the Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) found their site but it is just a holding page.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Sure wish I knew what District Court this was filed in... I would love to see the entire filing and who the Judge is going to be.

Oh man, if this is really true and the Judge grants the Injunction... God damn I am so excited, I really hope this is true.

After looking around a bit, it looks like it may have been filed in the District Court in New Jersey. But the court is now closed for the day so I can't get anymore info till tomorrow.

Personally, I am sitting right on the very edge of losing almost ten years worth of work... This is like throwing a life line to a drowning man...

Just now found this:
Is this the same people?

And I've seen that lawyer's name before... New Jersey? Of course there could be many with same name....

gone googling...

And a bit more found at Point Spreads...

.....Edward Leyden, President of iMEGA, hopes that the lawsuit will "open the eyes of legislators encouraging regulation and taxation" and stated that two major benefits from regulation include "transparency and tax revenues" for the United States.

"The purpose of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is to prevent Americans from engaging in their fundamental rights to conduct their lives in the manner they wish to live it - to be free from the government imposing public morality in the privacy of one's home" stated iMEGA attorney Eric M. Bernstein.

Both Edward Leyden and Eric M. Berstein are set to speak in Montreal on Thursday at the Globe Interactive Gambling Summit & Expo (GIGSE). Point-Spreads.com will continue to monitor the ongoing news pertaining to the retraining order and lawsuit

Just now found this:
Is this the same people?
I don't think so, that is a part of the Photon Group an Australian Marketing company, that as far as I know does not deal with gambling.

Nope I think the holding page located here
is the one we are looking for. Checking the Whois info, it was registered in Jan 07, this fits with the info given, where the organization was started in 07. And the name it is registered under sure sounds familiar to me.
Registrant Name:Edward Leyden
Registrant Organization:iMEGA

Of course this all just speculation right now.

Bio of Edward Leyden;
Mr. Leyden is the president of the Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) in Washington, DC. A seasoned litigator in federal and state courts, Ed currently serves as Vice Chairman of the American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Taxation, and the Committee on Employment Taxes. Ed is also a Contract Advisor for the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA). Ed is a graduate of Drexel University, and earned his law degrees at the University of Baltimore and Georgetown University.

Bio of Eric M. Bernstein
Mr. Bernstein is lead counsel for the Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) legal team.

Mr. Bernstein is a member of the First Amendment Lawyer's Association and the Free Speech Coalition, and practices all aspects of First Amendment and Internet law.

Mr. Bernstein is a regular and frequently requested speaker at state and national organizations and has been teaching for the Rutgers University Bureau of Government Research since the early 1980s. Mr. Bernstein has written articles for publication and serves as a Director of the New Jersey State Bar Association Local Government Law Section, where he was previously Vice President and Editor of its newsletter.

Wowser!! Look at those Bios!!

YESSS!!!

They're both scheduled to speak at the GIGSE Thursday. Do you think Bryan could get us an inside scoop?? :D

A little more detail....

The Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales; IMEGA's objective is to halt the enforcement of the UIGEA.

The Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Reserve are also named in the lawsuit accompanied by the request of Temporary Restraints to Halt Enforcement of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) and Resume Internet Gambling.

The Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) is seeking judgment restraining the United States from enforcing the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA). The current law prevents U.S. credit-card companies and banks from processing payments to online gambling businesses. According to the Act, violators are subject to civil and/or criminal penalties including imprisonment.

The suit filed today in U.S. District Court outlined how the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act infringes upon basic constitutional rights and sets a dangerous precedent for I-commerce by criminalizing the transmission of money if the end result is illegal in some unspecified place. The injunction, if granted, will prevent the government from enforcing the UIGEA and pave the way for Internet gambling to resume pending further order of the court.

The purpose of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is to prevent Americans from engaging in their fundamental rights to conduct their lives in the manner they wish to live it - to be free from the government imposing public morality in the privacy of ones home, says Eric M. Bernstein, Esq., attorney for iMEGA.

The lawsuit also seeks to stop the enforcement of the UIGEA based on the recent ruling of the World Trade Organization in a final appeal which found the United States in contempt of treaty obligations regarding Internet gambling. Washington spokesmen recently said the United States would not appeal the ruling in favor of Antigua and Barbuda, the Caribbean nation which won the WTO challenge against the US and one nation where Internet gambling is legal. Instead, Washington says, the US will try to modify its treaty obligation to eliminate Internet gambling. The WTO ruling permits sanctions to be imposed against the US.

The Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association was established to be a voice of reason in Washington and around the world for the fair, equitable, and rational governance of interactive Internet commerce and communications. Edward Leyden, President of iMEGA, hopes the lawsuit will open the eyes of Legislators encouraging regulation and taxation of Internet gaming. Without transparency, American consumers who gamble online are left without standards of practice or consumer protections.

"Two major benefits come immediately from U.S. recognition and regulation of Internet gaming; transparency and tax revenues, said Leyden. As with the U.S. financial markets, transparency assures that broad access to relevant data and the balancing forces of a free market all operate to maintain fairness and prevent corruption. Similarly, in this age of a yawning federal "tax gap," U.S. taxation of Internet gaming transactions and companies could generate, more than $20 billion during the next several years--all while saving federal law enforcement dollars for the fight against terrorism and other dire issues.

OK... Now that I've calmed down a bit..... (wheeeee...)

Who is iMEGA? What do they do, where did they come from, etc. I know that's what you guys are trying to find out already. I've got zilch from online searches...

iMEGA DEALS A NEW CARD IN ONLINE GAMBLING

Lawsuit filed against US Attorney General Gonzales to halt enforcement of anti-online gambling law.

Setting the Internet message boards and company communications alight this week is news that a little known organisation titled the Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association (iMEGA) has filed a lawsuit against U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, apparently with the objective of halting the enforcement of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.

The Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Reserve are also named in the lawsuit, which is accompanied by a request for "Temporary Restraints to Halt Enforcement of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) and Resume Internet Gambling."

Top executives of the organisation are scheduled to speak this Thursday at the Global Interactive Gamiing Summit and Expo (GIGSE) currently running in Montreal, and news of the litigation will ensure a large attendance of delegates for their session.

A statement released by the organisation advises that iMEGA is seeking judgment restraining the United States from enforcing the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA). The current law prevents U.S. credit-card companies and banks from processing payments to online gambling businesses. According to the Act, violators are subject to civil and/or criminal penalties including imprisonment.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court outlines how the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act infringes upon basic constitutional rights and sets a dangerous precedent for I-commerce by criminalising the transmission of money if the end result is illegal in some unspecified place. The injunction, if granted, will prevent the government from enforcing the UIGEA and pave the way for Internet gambling to resume pending further order of the court.

The purpose of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is to prevent Americans from engaging in their rights to conduct their lives in the manner they wish to live it - to be free from the government imposing public morality in the privacy of ones home, says Eric M. Bernstein, Esq., attorney for iMEGA.

The lawsuit also seeks to stop the enforcement of the UIGEA based on the recent ruling of the World Trade Organisation in a final appeal which found the United States in contempt of treaty obligations regarding Internet gambling (see previous InfoPowa reports).
Washington spokesmen recently said the United States would not appeal the ruling in favor of Antigua and Barbuda, the Caribbean nation which won the WTO challenge against the US and one nation where Internet gambling is legal. Instead, Washington says, the US will try to modify its treaty obligation to eliminate Internet gambling. The WTO ruling permits sanctions to be imposed against the US.

According to the statement, the Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Association was established to be a voice of reason in Washington and around the world for the fair, equitable, and rational governance of interactive Internet commerce and communications. The organisation is believed to be made up of many different individuals and has extensive funding.

Edward Leyden, President of iMEGA, hopes the lawsuit "...will open the eyes of legislators [and] encourage the regulation and taxation of Internet gaming. Without transparency, American consumers who gamble online are left without standards of practice or consumer protections."

"Two major benefits come immediately from U.S. recognition and regulation of Internet gaming; transparency and tax revenues, said Leyden. As with the U.S. financial markets, transparency assures that broad access to relevant data and the balancing forces of a free market all operate to maintain fairness and prevent corruption. Similarly, in this age of a yawning federal "tax gap," U.S. taxation of Internet gaming transactions and companies could generate more than $20 billion during the next several years - all while saving federal law enforcement dollars for the fight against terrorism and other dire issues.

iMEGA's lead legal expert, Eric M. Bernstein, Esq. has 25 years of experience in handling litigation on a wide range of subjects within the labour / employment law fields, including general advice and assistance, contract negotiations, interest and grievance arbitrations, fact-finding and mediation, disciplinary matters involving public safety and non-public safety employees.

He has served as a municipal attorney on issues as widely diverse as land use, ethics, municipal construction, local public contracts law, tax appeals, open space acquisition and government affairs. And as a board of education attorney, Bernstein has handled matters of special education, teacher/student discipline and budget appeals.

In regard to First Amendment / Internet law, Bernstein is a member of the First Amendment Lawyer's Association and the Free Speech Coalition.

In addition to his professional practice, Bernstein is a regular and frequently requested speaker at state and national organisations and has been teaching for the Rutgers University Bureau of Government Research since the early 1980s. Mr. Bernstein has written articles for publication and serves as a Director of the New Jersey State Bar Association Local Government Law Section, where he was previously Vice President and Editor of its newsletter.

This is great news!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys that it may do some good.

You know, I was just reading up a little bit on the UIGEA last night, after a friend asked me "why aren't you in jail yet?".

Even if I agreed with it, the UIGEA seems to be a very flawed piece of legislation. I think a challenge in court would do it good.

I still can't find what Court this was filed in.

Until I see the actual Court filing I am going to stay somewhat skeptical about this.

I would love for this to be true...

However, when I can't find the filing, it makes it difficult for me to believe this story hole heartedly.

I don't really care what these two lawyers say at the conference, without an actual Court filing this story is just that.... a story.

Usually Lawyers want to show off their legal 'expertise' by publishing their court filings everywhere they can, so everyone can see them and be in awe of their legal expertise... (yes, I have Lawyers in the family :rolleyes:) these press releases from iMEGA have purposefully left out very important information, like what District Court this was filed in.

I don't really care what these two lawyers say at the conference, without an actual Court filing this story is just that.... a story.

Usually Lawyers want to show off their legal 'expertise' by publishing their court filings everywhere they can, so everyone can see them and be in awe of their legal expertise... (yes, I have Lawyers in the family :rolleyes:) these press releases from iMEGA have purposefully left out very important information, like what District Court this was filed in.

Excellent point. And it also bothers me that neither Reuters, nor AP, or any of the other major news outlets (that I've been able to find) have picked up on this.

I'm hoping Bryan can accidently bump in to these iMEGA guys at GIGSE and find out just what's up (and where that darn thing has been filed!).

I think we may have been fed a line of bull...

I still can't find any court filings about this.

after searching through District Court Records from across the country, there is no record, I could find, of any District Court filing regarding the UGIEA in the last 9 months. :(

INTERACTIVE MEDIA ENTERTAINMENT AND GAMING ASSOCIATION, INC. v. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES et al

Plaintiff: INTERACTIVE MEDIA ENTERTAINMENT AND GAMING ASSOCIATION, INC.

Defendant: ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES, FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION and FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM

Case Number: 3:2007cv02625
Filed: June 5, 2007

Court: New Jersey District Court

Office: Trenton Office [ Court Info ]

County: Somerset

Presiding Judge: Judge Mary L. Cooper

Referring Judge: Magistrate Judge Tonianne J. Bongiovanni

Nature of Suit: Civil Rights - Other Civil Rights

Cause: 28:1331 Federal Question: Other Civil Rights
Jurisdiction: U.S. Government Defendant
Jury Demanded By: None

Access additional case information on PACER
Use the links below to access additional information about this case on the US Court's PACER system. A subscription to PACER is required.
Access this case on the New Jersey District Court's Electronic Court Filings (ECF) System

Thanks Jetset,

I could not find the information and I used PACER as well.

Makes me feel inept... but a lot better about the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back